Sylvannas negativity

Not really since Uldren did pay for his crimes. He was executed by you and Petra. Yet there are those, such as Petra who feel they should pass what Uldren did to Crow. Even though they are fundamentally two different people. All they have in common is a face and voice.

Meanwhile you have Ikora who wanted Uldren dead but is willing to support Crow. Because she knows the two are different people. Crow even finds out what he did as Uldren since he wanted to know why Petra was giving him a hard time. And he is horrified by it.

I honestly don’t know any of these characters or gravity of their actions.
But if they committed those crimes then they should pay for it as if they were the same people back when they committed those crimes.

I really don’t care about the excuses. If their prison sentence is to fight to the death in some sci-fi war then so be it. At least they are useful for something before biting the bullet. But their action no matter how heroic does not redeem or absolve them.

I think it’s probably because it’s difficult for Small to argue against a point with characters they’re just really not familiar with at all.

I think more pertinent to the discussion is a real life case of a man who was arrested for abusing his own daughter. He was later complaining about severe headaches in prison and it was found that there was a tumor on his brain, exactly in the area of the brain that regulates mating attraction. The tumor was removed and his feelings went away and he was horrified by what he did. Then, a few years later, the tumor emerged again and the feelings returned. It was removed again and the urges went away again. I don’t remember the name of the man in this case, but it’s a pretty famous case study in neuroscience and it’s pretty good piece of evidence against the concept of free will.

4 Likes

Who admitted this?

Which is why I am telling you about them and how they feel about the whole Uldren, Crow scenario.

We have those like Zavala who is willing to let the past be the past. He sees the bigger picture. And while Cadyes death hurt him as much as it did to Ikora. He is not willing to betray his ideals for petty revenge. We have those like Ikora who was blinded by rage and anger at Uldren but is willing to stand behind Crow when people call for his head. Then we have people like Petra who wants blood for blood no matter what.

Why should Crow be punished for something he did not do? That is why the Vanguard has that policy in the first place. Crow and Uldren are different people. Honestly it sounds like you are okay with punishing the son for the sins of their father.

Becoming a Lightbearer is not a prison sentence. The Ghost does not choose who their lightbearer is. There is only 1 person for that ghost. And for Glint it was Uldren Sov. You even have some ghosts that never find their fated lightbearer for years upon years. Some never even find theirs when they die.

Yeah true. But it does become problematic when you simply discuss a counterpart, even if the examples are from a different IP solely on the basis that you don’t know about it.

As I said, if this Crow person is the person that did those actions, they are guilty. I don’t care if they got their mind wiped and reset.
Does that mean Crow can keep doing horrible things, get a mind wipe and walk away? Nope. I don’t buy it.

Look Idk Destiny 2 but if I had decide Crow’s punishment is if every person lives in a barracks with their fellow team. Crow lives in a cell and only sees daylight when he fights. As soon as he is done… he goes back into his cell and serves his time that way.

Still guilty. Maybe instead of a prison they need a psychiatric prison to keep a close eye on them. But the daughter is still alive. I am no legal expert but he should be commited for as long as necessary and only let out when he has done his time and medically clear that this won’t happen again.

A lightbearers mind is only wiped once. And that is upon their first resurrection. And Crow hasn’t done anything horrible as of yet.

That is cruel though since is being punished for something

1. He didn’t do
  2. Had no memory of doing

That can be problematic as it will make it seem like he is being punished for no reason. Which can lead someone down a path of evil. Watch Megamind for example.

I think I have quite clear with this scenario Denona. If you have a different opinion then thats fine.
But I apply the same logic pretty consistently.

So… did he do it or not? You are confusing me
Again I don’t care about his memory.

I think you are confusing yourself. I have stated numerous times that Crow and Uldren are different people. All they have in common is a face and a voice (cause voice boxes and all that).

Its the same person but they got memory wiped right?

More than just their memory.

It is a complete reset. Memory, personality etc.

It is clear how much of a toxic influence Mara Sov was on her brother. Considering Crow is an example of what Uldren could’ve become if he had positive relationships in his life instead of his sister. This has been used in other media in different forms. “Wrong Horack” and Horack when looking at their relationship with Horde Prime from the Netflix She-ra series for example.

As I said, the only thing Crow and Uldren have in common is the same body. They are completely different people.

I’m pretty sure he was released both times since it was proven in court that it was actually the tumor that made him do the things he did.

The interesting thing about it though is that it casts doubt on how in control of your actions you really are. What is “fault” if what you do today is the result of hormones that were in your mothers body before you were born? A lot of our justice system, and a lot of what we believe to be justice is based on the concept of free will. But we humans tend to anthropomorphize even inanimate objects and ascribe guilt to them. How many times have you had a machine malfunction and you beg it to work again, as if begging would help? Have you have hit your shin on a table and cursed at the table as if it could do any differently? What we perceive to be choice and will is, in my opinion, just machinery that is broken. Someone who murders other people is a car with broken brakes, and we just have to figure out how to fix them.

That being said, like I said, I do think some measure of punitive action is required for especially dangerous and harmful people. But I recognize that’s based purely on a human feeling that it is right. I don’t think we should set free from prison anyone who’s done wrong simply because “it’s not their fault”, but I do think the reality is that things were always going to end up the way that they did. I think it would be better if it there was a magical cure to their evilness that allowed them to not be a “car with broken brakes” anymore, and have them help other people.

Then they are guilty.

That is a pretty toxic stance to take.

2 Likes

Just because you wiped your mind of past wrong doings doesn’t make them go away. I treat Sylvanas the same way. I don’t care if she had half a soul or all the soul. Still guilty to me, if thats a toxic or vindictive mindset then I am fine with that.
It doesn’t undo or make right anything that was done even if the person in question starts planting trees and making houses for the displaced.

Honestly, if there was a magical cure bad behavior pill then it would make the whole concept of justice and retribution obsolete because they would be useless in a society that doesn’t commit wrong doing.
Some criminals think if they appeal to an insanity defense they will get off lighter than they would in a regular prison. Thats actually isn’t true… when you get sent to a mental hospital it will be extremely difficult to get out.
So if the aberrant behavior is caused by medical reasons then they should be committed to an institution.

1 Like

It sounds like you care more about punishment than the actual wrong.

3 Likes

If I didn’t care about the wrong then I won’t care about the punishment either.
Its because I care about the severity of the wrong that I think adequate punishment should be met.

I quoted a tiktok trend sound actually. but it flew over thier heads. It’s fine, not every joke lands. Alynsa got it.

It’s not really an admission to anything, it was just a tongue in cheek joke that no one here got.

In the example I gave, Crow never had a choice. It happens to all new lightbearers. And that is a key part you keep on missing. The mindwipe was not his idea. It happens to everyone who is CHOSEN to be a lightbearer and it only happens once. Upon their first resurrection.