Sylvannas divided Soul

Yes Sylvanas BfA behaves like Arthas. Is she Arthas?

Arthas only tortured Sylvanas’s Soul and only during 2 occasions: Once while raising her and the second while she was bad mouthing him.

The High Elves were lucky compared to the Night Elves.

Also the only person besides Sylvanas whose Soul was tortured by Arthas was Bolvar shockingly and only because he needed a Champion of the same sort as Tirion which is probably because he got ideas from Zovaal’s pathetic failed attempts to Dominate him.

His usual reaction to that which offends him is to just kill it dead. He didn’t even bother to fulfill his threat to Gavinrad(to raise him as Scourge) which shows how he treats his Enemies.

Sylvanas is the only person that angered Arthas enough to be raised with the promise of torture for taunts. Everyone else who angered him were just killed dead and left to rot.

Incidentally rage doesn’t mean that he won’t raise those who aren’t offending him. He was angry at Illidan for attacking the Lich King yet raised Sapphiron just the same even as his rage empowered Mourneblade hacked off a piece of Sapphiron’s Soul(and yes it had to be rage-empowered to even cut the Dragon’s Soul).

In his novel there was A reference along the lines of how he loves to violate and torture all proud high elf women.

I’ll post it when I get some time

you can better emersion from a book. It’s actually a hinderance to the story when it has to be portrayed in game.

What I’ve noticed lately is they have been dumbing down the story from novel to game and I wish the story treated the players like it did the readers of the novels instead of spoon feeding the story into the game. We have complex ethics and morality in the books but the game is like “this is a Peace Treaty. it’s where two factions agree to Peace.” and “it’s important to forgive each other. Because Peace.”

The novels and the game seem like they are made for two completely separate audiences and I kind of like it that way. I’d rather put in the time to read the novels and be rewarded with more knowledge for doing so.

2 Likes

Actually my vision for the “Journal” would be for them to write more, expand more, but then put the books in the “Journal”. Placed appropriately for where the character is in the story.
Bonus if they had the voice actors do audio-books which could be toggled while playing.

Then have a linked piece of the mobile app which let you see a character Journal and switch into a reader for the story you wanted.

2 Likes

No way! You mean to tell me that the infamous in-game titan showdown of Sylvanas Vrs Malfurion didn’t give you the emersion you needed? How could you not enjoy the in-game coding sequence of /shoot arrow…pause…/shoot green ball…pause…/shoot green ball…pause Sylvanas/kneel over the description we received in A Good War?

Tongue in cheek aside, the one paragraph I got in the novel was 100 times better than the in-game sequence. I agree with you 100%.

1 Like

I much preferred the visual of Sylvanas bouncing Malfurian through Darkshore underbrush like the deflated basketball he is. We really got a sense of her raw strength even before she burned the tree which allegedly gave her all her power…

There was a tremendous explosion of darkness, and then a rising sound of collapsing trees.

Saurfang ducked behind cover as an object flew through the air, bouncing off tree trunks before slamming to a halt in the dirt only thirty feet away.

The object raised its head—his head.

Saurfang saw antlers. Without thinking, he threw his axe.

And people still have the audacity to say Sylvanas was weak before the Jailer “empowered her”

2 Likes

Notice we havn’t gotten a single Sylvanas Vrs X thread since then.

Remember the weekly Sylvanas Vrs X threads? Glad they put that to rest.

1 Like

Found it:

Arthas had enjoyed turning beautiful, proud, strong-willed quel’dorei woman into banshees, after his “success” with her.

1 Like

And then they wrote the “grizzled old veteran” Saurfang as not knowing the difference between a duel and the acts of a soldier in a war. :frowning:
Funny turn for an “old soldier”.

1 Like

As mentioned: After the initial painful Raising her as a Banshee he only tortured her when she taunted him to his face and otherwise just kept her bound to his will like all other Undead.

The process of becoming Banshees probably is painful(the way Sylvanas describes it it would seem to be a result of being violently yanked out of the Afterlife) yet as the Novel states they were all strong-willed and proud which naturally means they annoyed him like Sylvanas though thankfully they probably didn’t even get the chance to taunt him in earshot so they had a more merciful fate than Sylvanas who was almost always in earshot.

The High Elves as a whole were simply either killed(the ones away from his army that he sicced the Gargoyles on) or(if on the path to Quel’Thalas) raised. The males who enraged him on the path to the Sunwell(King Anasterian) were left to rot while the Females who were strong willed were turned into Banshees(yanking their Souls painfully from the Afterlife).

Dar’Khan Drathir of course angered Arthas by trying to claim the Sunwell’s energies before he could raise Kel’Thuzad yet it seems Ner’zhul had his corpse raised with autonomy anyways(I’m sure if Arthas had a say he would make sure that Dar’Khan was either left to rot or turned into a Ghoul or Specter so logically it would have to be Ner’zhul who raised him).

1 Like

You missed a line. Here’s more context of the quote:

There was a tremendous explosion of darkness, and then a rising sound of collapsing trees. Saurfang ducked behind cover as an object flew through the air, bouncing off tree trunks before slamming to a halt in the dirt only thirty feet away.

The object raised its head—his head.

Saurfang saw antlers. Without thinking, he threw his axe.

The moment it left his hands, he wanted to call it back. That was Malfurion Stormrage, alive and preparing to rejoin the fight against the warchief.

It seems being bounced around through trees didn’t even cause Malfurion any harm or damage at all. It’s so often is these over the top superhero (and anime, for that matter) fights that heroes get blown through structures, like walls, buildings, mountains, or in this case trees, and get back up like it was nothing.

We’ve been told that all souls have been sent to the Maw since some point in Legion, probably after the Nightmare raid, so the Jailer was likely already empowering Sylvanas before the War of the Thorns.

What are we arguing about

have you not read A Good War? the whole thing set Sylvanas up to be right and BFA flipped the whole thing to be about Saurfang’s lost honor and made Sylvanas a scapegoat.

4 Likes

Yeah, I read it.

It kinda gave me hope they were getting a little sense, then they shattered that.

1 Like

You mean the story where Sylvanas has an internal monologue about how evil she is while she squeezes the ghostly equivalent of a puppy to death?

1 Like

what are even talking about?

Your incoherent rambling is getting worse.

There’s a few descriptions about the torture and soul wrenching process, but my favorite is:

“The ritual that Arthas used to turn Sylvanas into a banshee involved tearing her soul out of her still-living body. It infinitely prolonged her existence as a creature filled with hate toward all life”

IMO “hate toward all life” became more prevalent as time went on. I think it was BfA when cdev started to straight up talk about her being an enemy of life. I thought it was a nice tie in, what are your thoughts?

I don’t know if its these particular women or not but he to let out his inner misygonist on them.

“You waste your time, woman”

“After all you’ve put me through, woman, the last thing I’ll give you is the peace of death”

“The ranger woman is starting to vex me”

Couple that with his enjoyment of torturing beautiful, proud High Elf Women.

With how things have developed IRL, those lines have become really disturbing.

2 Likes

I just completed the Uther questline and boy oh boy there are a lot of juicy tidbits. Anyway, Thrall just straight up said that Sylvanas has ALWAYS been a formidable foe.

I’ve tried to tell people she was never a slouch. Fighters don’t see her on their side of the draw and say “This will be easy.” Shoutout to DBZ style tournaments lol.

2 Likes