Sylvanas's Story Arc: Proper Contextualization

I, like many of us, have been greatly disappointed in how Sylvanas’s story has been shaking out up to this point. But while what we have right now many consider to be a hot mess, I believe with the right tweaks, what we have could have been made far more palatable. With that, here are some ideas I had that I’d like to share.

First: Why would Sylvanas work with Zovaal at all? She despised Arthas and Frostmourne, that hatred being a defining part of her character, so her alliance with the Jailer flies directly in the face of that. But then something occurred to me: how do our characters know the Jailer was the one behind Frostmourne at all? Where exactly is this information presented? There is, to my knowledge, only one source that deals with this subject at all: the Runecarver. Once enough memories have been restored, you are given a quick cutscene of the Jailer torturing him to extract how to create a mourneblade and the Helm of Domination. But there is no follow-up to that, so as far as I know we are the only ones with tangible proof as to this fact, and we never tell anyone about it. So considering this, Sylvanas never knew Zovaal made Frostmourne. He deliberately kept this fact from her.

But then a question arises: what about the runes on his skin that look just like Frostmourne’s? Wouldn’t she see those and put two and two together? That, at least, is easy to deal with. When we free the Primus during the campaign, the Jailer speaks through Anduin, saying the Primus used Domination magic to imprison him. So all Zovaal would have to say to Sylvanas was, “The Primus put these on me to make me a prisoner, just as he made Frostmourne that bound you.” And the best part is, there is just enough truth to it that it wouldn’t be a complete lie. Zovaal could have just painted himself as a victim just like she was, cementing their partnership. Have her mention all this during her conversations with Anduin and bam, the audience is up to speed. No need to change nearly all of the conversation here either, simply remove the line of being made to serve and save that tidbit until their next interaction.

So we have Sylvanas’s motivation now. Just like in the official canon, she joins the Jailer to remake reality, except now we clearly see why. So what about her betrayal? Why turn on him at the end of the Sanctum of Domination? This is where I diverge a little from the official canon, but not very far. Simply have her doubts creep in long before the events of 9.1. Specifically, I refer to the second Torghast cutscene in which Kingsmourne is created. Sylvanas first sees it there, and she is understandably shocked. Her eyes widen and mouth falls slightly agape, seeing an echo of the sword she has spent her entire unlife despising. This adds another dimension to her conversation with the Jailer, who says, “We have not come this far to falter now.” So now Sylvanas does as asked, but with extreme reservation. She’s doing the same thing Arthas did to her, and now she is rightly suspicious of Zovaal.

Fast forward to 9.1. Sylvanas can be seen clearly having doubts now, seeing Anduin in armor covered in Domination runes and being forced to do things he would never consider otherwise. Then comes Tyrande’s revelation that Nathanos has been dead for some time, his soul somewhere out in the Maw with God-only-knows what happening to him. Sylvanas’s suspicions continue to grow, but she keeps forging ahead. She can’t stop now, not after all she had gone through just to get to this point. She and the Jailer are the same, she’s convinced herself. She couldn’t have been wrong all this time, her pride would never allow it. (She was described as being quite vain in life, so there is some basis to this.)

Now we come to the Sanctum raid. Her doubts have only continued to deepen. Every time we encounter her, her voice sounds unsure for just a moment. But she quickly slips back on the mask of confidence and everything continues as it does ingame. Then comes the final cutscene. It plays out exactly the same. Sylvanas tells Zovaal they have what they need, but he takes a moment to gloat while he mind-controls everyone. He says all will serve, echoing Arthas. At this point Sylvanas can’t deny reality any longer. She’s been duped, and Zovaal was not the victim he said he was. She betrays him, he leaves her to rot.

And there you have it. The major story beats remain the same, but now the audience has crucial context.

3 Likes

Sylvanas has been working with the Dreadlords since WC3. we now know that the true master of the Dreadlords is not Sargeras or Archimonde but it’s Denathrius. Both Sylvanas and Denatrius got betryed by the Jailer, I think once Sylvanas saw how Zorval treated Denathrius as disposable she started to catch on that he was not to be trusted.

Kel’thuzad, Ner’zul and Arthas all have claimed that “the Presence” surrounding the Lich King, which we now know to be Zorval can be very manipulative. He uses what people want most to manipulate them into serving him. With Kel’thuzad it was power, for Ner’zul it was is loyalty I guess and for Arthas it was his service to his people. It seems like Zorval convinced Sylvanas that through him she would be able to remake the world without cruel fate, a world that rewarded ‘good’ people. We Ride Forth presented this idea that all undead were slowly losing grip on their free will and Bolvar feared Sylvanas coming to claim the role of the Lich King the most. So he must have known that she was losing control too.

Sylvanas as a character has been struggling with herself to shake off her mortality, we’ve seen this in the Forsaken with how she wanted them to divest themselves of their pre-death lives. Embrace being the monsters they were now, because the living would never see the Forsaken as anything but monsters. But as Forsaken began to evolve and move away from the Scourge they desired to reconnect with their living families. Sylvanas was no different and her an Veressa reconnected. And then Veressa betrayed her in a way because Veressa didn’t want to die to be included into Sylvanas’s world and Sylvanas as an undead could never be welcomed back into the world of the living. This conflict has always been there. In the Three Sisters comics, one of Sylvanas’s truths was she sometimes wishes she was alive again. The Emerald Nightmare took that desire and made her relive a nightmare where she was alive again only to be turned into a banshee again. That’s PTSD.

With the ending of SoD it’s evident that the desire to reconnect with the living never left Sylvanas, despite how much she tried to “unshackle herself from mortality” as the jailer put it. The jailer wanted her to be unfeeling and unremorseful, promised her freedom from mortality and she took his offer, it was a bad offer and she was blindsided by him.

Now she has her soul back, and there’s nothing stopping her now from rejoining the living, except she’s isolated herself so far from humanity by what’s she’s done, she may never be able to return or be accepted by the living. It’s the worst punishment she could have gotten but also her greatest hope. It’s tragic and thrilling. She’s her own worst enemy.

I really don’t think it needs to be fixed. I’m really excited to see where the story goes next.

2 Likes

The problem is in the timing. Blizz is consistently bad with timing and context of things, in the game, in their interviews, etc.

If the goal was her redemption, the seeds for it should’ve been visible like 2 years ago, during BfA. I had some thoughts about a possible route. But now it’s just not going to work well, because no 1 story exist in the vacuum. It has to flow from the former events, and fit into context, and pay attention to timing IMO.

I’d say, I have no idea who exactly wrote the story for the cinematics of Shadowlands, but to think that after specifically targeting Delaryn, going out of her way to send Nathanos to raise her and turn agains former allies, Sylvanas wouls not look stupid in doubt with Anduin, IMO requires a very “specific” state of mind.

Something-something

gl hf

2 Likes

Sylvanas should have been granted her final death and can rest in peace at last after she defeated the Lich King.

That was the entire point of her story and that of the Forsaken. Slyvanas is a lingering ghost of vengeance that cannot move on until justice has been done on Arthas.

The Slyvanas we see in Catacylsm onward to me is a pure fanfiction.

What point is there for the Forsaken to exist after the defeat of their mortal enemy in the Lich King?

Thats a pretty dumb statement. They exist because they exist. Whats the point of any race. I mean humans, has there ever been a point to them. There was no divine plan for them, just an accident from a curse. Most life on the planet just seems to be a long process of degeneration. Time to hit the re-origination button I guess.

6 Likes

The undead are unnatural to the natural world and logic.

Remember what Slyvanas was trying to do to ensure the undead continues as a race? Raising Corpses from Graveyards and Battlefields. And honestly, we’ve examples of people that did not want to be raised to undeath because they initially could not handle it.

Imagine how many people endured what Lilian Voss went through, but never triumphed like Lilian did?

And don’t get me started on how can a “race” of “undead humans and other races” would function as a people and culture.

Use all the justifications you want, there’s still too many holes in logic.

The dead must rest. Lingering among the living is unnatural.

BUT sadly, we made Undead a playable race in this game, so now we have to use these illogical storylines with Slyvanas and the Forsaken to justify their continued existence just so people can still play as Undead.

Anti-undead bias is real.

4 Likes

So what if something is unnatural? Yeah, they came about because of really screwed up things, but they’re still conscious beings and that shouldn’t be a reason for someone else to decide they need to die if the people in question want to keep on “living” anyway.

The game’s already given the alliance plenty of non-undeath-state reasons to despise them. Citing their unnaturality doesn’t need to be one of them.

7 Likes

Alas, Blizzard felt it necessary for a (Neutral) MHP to defeat Arthas with the backing of the Alliance while Sylvanas (and all the Forsaken for that matter) is no where to be found.

:pancakes:

3 Likes

Jaina wasn’t there in the final battle as well.

And if he wasn’t smacked with the villain bat, Kael’thas should be too.

I’d put Jaina 3rd or 4th on my list of characters/ factions to be there if it had to be small numbers.

1. Sylvanas/Forsaken
  2. Kael’Thas/Blood Elves
  3. Jaina or Muradin

Reminder what the Sylvanas statue last year description read

She had no control over her own destiny as nearly her whole existence was in the service of others. She joined the rangers and rose to the level of Ranger-General of Silvermoon. She has experienced three deaths and suffered many betrayals by underlings. She is all alone and eager to reunite with her sister, but lack of understanding and hostility forced her to become cold-bloodedly decisive, determined and ruthless. However, she contributed so much to the whole of Azeroth that the title of ‘queen’ is suitable for her and well-deserved. She is Sylvanas!

It was the third-party company making her action figure that created that description to go with it and not Blizzard, right?

Edit: Banshee-Queen … Queen of Blades … :thinking:

Blizzard ultimately still had to approve of it.

Same way the Thrall statue had both his current axe Dragora and the Doomhammer and was described as Warchief he looks like how he currently does

1 Like

Jaina, Kael’thas, Sylvanas, and Muradin together.

But with Varian Wrynn and Thrall leading them