Sylvanas Won, Night Elves Lost (Amirdrassil Is A Dud)

I guess? 10char

They’re basically the same, druidism typically involves reverence to nature.

But you didn’t answer the question. Your evasion feels very telling.

In what what are views on arcane not defining who they are but druidism does?
In what way is isolationism not core but living on Kalimdor is?

These things have all existed since The Sundering as part of their culture.

So you just don’t understand the question, got it.

I’m asking you to explain your personal thoughts on the topic. Instead of doing so, you’re being weirdly evasive.

Policy

Their ancestors are buried there, their culture is centered on a connection to that land. Their spirits LITERALLY become one with the land. They have deep bonds with ancients and treants and all manner of guardians of nature.

1 Like

A square is a rectangle, but a rectangle isn’t a square. Again, reverence of nature and Elune were part of their identity since pre-Azshara. Azshara was a relatively minor blip of straying from those ideals in their culture.

Exactly.

The fact that there’s no real central governmental structure here means there’s no real significance to Amirdrassil as a ‘capital city’ in anything but name.

There’s a cultural significance as a World Tree, but no real actual political significance.

Just a city where Nelves live.

Why is 10,000 year old “policy” (law) not a defining feature of their identity?

I don’t know how I can make my personal thoughts on the topic anymore clear except maybe if I go back and edit every post to include a disclaimer stating “THESE ARE MY PERSONAL THOUGHTS ON THE TOPIC”

By actually answering what I ask instead of answering things I didn’t ask. We’re slowly getting there now that you started kind of answering.

Because it was a knee-jerk reaction to the devastation caused by the Highborne. There was a time when they wielded the arcane of the Well of Eternity AND revered elune and nature.

you’re slowly getting there

That doesn’t explain why it isn’t defining. It was a policy that lasted for 10,000 years. It has been part of their identity almost as long as Night Elves have existed both in the lore and in real life.

You didn’t answer my questions before, so you’re part of it, lol.

Kaldorei culture is what could be termed Henotheistic. Elune looms large as their central deity, but the wild gods and spirits of nature are also very important and have their own cultus and clergy—Druids are just clergy to the spirits of nature, at the end of the day. A lot of their culture reflects Shinto ideology insofar as a need to respect the land and take only as much as they need lest the spirits of the land punish them.

1 Like

Yes, it does. Because if you look at the Night Elves and you take away or add arcane, it really doesn’t change their identity (unless maybe it OVERWHELMS the following two). If you take away Elune, that’s a huge missing piece. If you take away nature, that’s a huge missing piece. If you take away Kalimdor, that’s a huge missing piece.

THESE ARE MY PERSONAL THOUGHTS ON THE SUBJECT

1 Like

I am happy the night elves get a new tree.

But I simply do not know if I can trust them with a new tree.

They blew one up to kill a demon when we all know every single demon is highly vulnerable to the tried and true method of “stab it a lot with a bunch of your friends”. Then they made the replacement tree extra-super dry so that just a teeny tiny few catapults could cause it to burst into a conflagration in like no time at all, and while it sat in the ocean no less!! Why weren’t the Sentinels trained in fire safety measures?!

Night elves are very irresponsible with their big magic trees, and that’s to say nothing about the experimental one in Northrend that they stuck on Cthulhu’s house so it could be corrupted, or the one they planted on the evil island next to Satan’s crypt, which also got corrupted.

Night elves and big magic trees do not have a very good track record. Maybe fifth time’s the charm, if they made sure no evil guys are sleeping under it (or really close by), keep up with their fire safety protocals, and try very hard not to blow it up when you can just use a raid party to do the same thing.

Here’s hoping this one works out well!!

2 Likes

No, I did. You just didn’t put the mental effort in to understand it. I’ve repeated the same points several times now. The core of my argument hasn’t changed since I first “didn’t answer” your question.

Sorry, I’m not sure if this is trying to refute something I said or just adding to it, because there’s nothing about what I said that doesn’t include this.

Look, no magic tree can withstand the most powerful force in the literary cosmos—AUTHOR FIAT. Why does it happen? Because the author says so. The author appears to have a special hatred of trees.

Conclusion: The author is in fact, an orc.

6 Likes

It does, though. Their change from hating arcane to accepting it changed their identity. That’s the equivalent of moving them to Kalimdor. That’s the equivalent of taking away isolationism.

They lived on Kalimdor for 10,000 years since the Sundering, before that they lived on the pre-Sundering continent in areas of what is now Kalimdor, Eastern Kingdoms, and under the ocean. So being exclusive to Kalimdor only started at the Sundering. Starting their anti-magic policy started at the Sundering, something important enough they isolated a chunk of people for it. Isolationism started at the Sundering. These are all part of their identity.

No you didn’t. You’ve shown a clear misunderstanding of what the questions were. I know what my questions were better than you. You gave several answers that weren’t answering them.

Valid. 10char

Oh, I was just stating for the record, I did not disagree with you at all.

1 Like