Sylvanas Sabotage

How would you tell the Orcs story about a tribal people who fight constantly, live in primitive dwellings but have morality or “honor”?

You can’t tell the Orcs story without the noble savage trope. Honestly I read it and it was a fun story and cast the Orcs in a better light considering what they did.
So how would this story be written with modern sensibilities?

Maybe they were brushing their teeth? With so many bone spikes I am sure dental hygiene is very important.

Oh could be that too.

Please don’t.

2 Likes

They lived in Iron Age dwellings? Is that better?

1 Like

The emotional appeal of Elegy was a mistake. It set the emotional weight with the Alliance and destroyed effectual “both-sides” storytelling.

They needed to rewrite it to drop that, or, rewrite A Good War to also be an emotional appeal.

For instance, change AGW to start with:

• Saurfang waking to mourning rituals that brought him out of dreaming about his son.
  • Caused by guards coming back from Silithus dead.
  • Have him cursing the Alliance and feeling like they’re chasing a corruption like the Demon Blood; feeling the Alliance is starting to be savage.
  • To cap it have a mourner disrupted by a spy, and the ritual disturbed.

And the audience view is massively changed. (Of course, then you can’t really do the whole Golden-Light-Boy thing either, so I think we know why it didn’t happen.)

3 Likes

Overall elegy was fine, the genocid lines hit pretty well and the big unjustice of this entire war was delivered.

1 Like

Elegy was terrible. Emotional propaganda.

Elegy could actually be used to teach the effectiveness of propaganda in indoctrination. The way it mythified Sylvanas as a boogieman and dehumanized the Horde.

3 Likes

is it really dehumanized if the horde attack without any reason …on both sides expect a vague “in 100 years” refferenze?

is it really dehumanized if the horde monstrous enough to burn down an entire Civilisiatino or is it …the thing that happened that is mounstrous on its own …and not “artificaly” dehumanized.

I say the deed of the horde is monstrous and…it deserve to be shown as …a event from monsters…

This + the whole “House Slave Gladiator Rebel Leader taught by Woman Of The House to read and also love” bit

It’s like if Nat Turner fell in love with his slave owner’s wife or daughter or whatever

More suitable for cringe historical fanfiction than a foundational book at the start of an MMORPG

7 Likes

It has some leeway due to how long ago it was written. It takes time for things to become cliche. If it were written today it’d be more difficult to excuse.

That says a lot about her, which doesn’t surprise me.

2 Likes

Many players complain about being blocked by devs on Twitter. (I know Golden isn’t a dev). My first instinct is that they probably deserved it, but this sounds like she probably just doesn’t want to hear your takes.

3 Likes

Wait what? What book was this?

Am honestly starting to think that you should give up on WoW, because it will never EVER live up to your standards. Write your own story, because the WoW writers won’t ever give you want you want, nor actually do they need to. I’m not saying that they still shouldn’t try to do better than they have, just I’m not seeing a future where the game delivers unto you anything except continued disappointment.

6 Likes

Thrall panel Blizzconline 2021

Yup

Dunno, more and more devs are following me on Twitter every day

Which is odd given, *gestures at my general takes and disposition * you know

But guess we’ll see

I’d be fine if anything they produced demonstrated a modicum of self awareness, respect, or care for the issues and themes and cultures they’re using and invoking

Anything at all

A modicum

A crumb

3 Likes

It is, I just think her target audience should be tweens. Thats the age group that her writing would really speak to. Give her the next twilight novels or something.

1 Like

…why would you even suggest such a fundamentally repulsive concept as making more Twilight novels???..

2 Likes

Stephanie Meyer is legitimately a better author than Christie Golden. If Stephanie Meyer ever wanted to write a pure horror novel, without Mormon themes being involved, it’d be great.

2 Likes

Non sequitur reminder 50 Shades is Twilight fanfiction and led to a spike in “accidental” domestic abuse due to the movie not doing knots correctly and people just copy pasting

But anyways

It Feels like there’s currently a lot of internal drama about where to take WoW partially motivated by a lot of old head devs having anti player sentiments because they internalized and refuse to unlearn No Negativity In Our Rockstar Dojo (mixing the two into one)

5 Likes

I’m going to forget you made this post.

How much do you think it’s because of a lack of knowing a cultures history or how important certain things are to a particular religion or culture?

It feels like the devs are just taking what they think looks cool and trying subvert expectations. Though I have nothing for the blatant racist and sexist stuff they put in game. Not sure why they thought people wouldn’t notice

Unintentionally writing a horror story about a narcissistic emotionally abusive monster and the naïve and vulnerable vampire and werewolf who fall in love with it is good writing?