Sylvanas Sabotage

Dealing with the fallout of his decisions is not the same thing as his having input. But if you want to equate them, knock yourself out.

You can do this in retail as well.

You know what I did this week? I fought Rukhmar to try for the Solar Spirehawk (175 tries. no birb. heartbreak.), got a handful of achievements in Pandaria, and I’m selling like 200 items I farmed trying to get a blue BoE drop from Blackfathom Depths.

Might do Korthia tonight to get more rep with the Death’s Advance, might not. Can’t decide if I want to rep grind something in BC or herb with my druid to make up some gold I spent on a Tiny Red Carp since I couldn’t fish the thing up myself.

2 Likes

I remember Golden had mentioned last year that she put a secret in Revendreth. A bunch of people scrambled to find out what it is. A day or two later she explained that she had an NPC named after a character from Ravenloft. That upset a bunch of secret-finding people. No one cared about a reference to some book barely anyone in WoW has read, rofl.

4 Likes

Do you think her most recent Tweet is about finishing up the Sylvanas book? It seems like it to me. I hope this means we are on target for the end of March release.

How long does it take to print and distribute novels? Especially in this covid climate of supply and demand issues?

I hope there isn’t another delay. I wanted this book three months ago.

1 Like

Her actions were likely broadly the same, but a lot of how Golden distorts characters is in the thoughts she gives them. In particular, self-doubt is likely to be something added by Golden because it’s very much an internal thing.

1 Like

Covid shouldn’t effect this. If anything, covid should give Golden more time to get the book done because isolation or lockdown for fear of covid means more time to write the book.

Whatever’s in the book, I don’t think Shadowlands is the end of Sylvanas’ story, as much as I’d like it to be.

2 Likes

Golden is a sub par author who doesnt understand her audience. She blames the subject matter, and her genre for the criticisms when other authors manage to do just fine under the same constraints.

Reading a Golden Novel, at this point, is like playing forensic investigator and trying to figure out what cdev wanted put in because its important, and what is just lazy emotional appeal fluff.

Just my two cents.

8 Likes

It definitely will; the editing, the printing, the distribution, etc are all going to be majorly impacted by covid. And even the writing could be affected if her kids are doing school from home or her partner is working from home, this will impact it too.

1 Like

Those can be pretty entertaining - and cathartic, for characters and the story, as well as for fans. Even if not exactly uplifting.

“Order 66” was a big ole Sith temper tantrum. It is a bit of a bummer. But it is a dramatic part of the story. And Palpatine was enjoying himself. Or the destruction of Alderaan. Tarkin was throwing a tantrum. Those can be pretty impactful events, for casual Star Wars fans, and also kids just watching the films.

So, they can be dramatic and entertaining, even if they are catastrophic in the universe of the franchise.

I agree.

War Crimes was awful. I could go on… but I will leave it at that.

Before the Storm wrecked what little Forsaken lore there was, as it wrecked a lot of the lore (Genn’s tail waves hello) and villain batted folks in the Horde - but it was mediocre, as a read. Not entirely awful.

Elegy was… fine by me. I think it was made more for Night Elf and Alliance fans, so I will let them discuss how emotionally effective it may or may not have been. If it hit any “feels”. Or if it at least described the events in an entertaining way.

As a Horde fan, I enjoyed the Horde themed story - A Good War. Along with Lorash, and the way Stormheim was brought up!! Woooo! It felt good to have that brought up, even if it was just a brief passing consideration in Saurfang’s mind. Almost… cathartic. So as a Horde fan, A Good War hit a few out of the park, for me. I don’t know if Elegy did the same for Night Elf and Alliance fans.

But all that aside - Golden’s early Orc themed books were good. So, I have a glimmer of hope that the Sylvanas book might not be terrible, and might be good.

1 Like

I feel Golden gets far more flak than she deserves. In MY opinion she’s not nearly as bad as some other authors I’ve read over the years

But that’s just my two cents

5 Likes

I think her writing style is pretty readable. More so than Knaak.

6 Likes

what’s funny is I had found it during beta and put it on the wiki for that character and subzone

one of the wowpedia mods said that was a “reach” and probably not true and removed it

and it turns out I was right

but it’s also the day I discovered Golden has me muted lmao

nah they didn’t age well if we’re honest

1 Like

What’s wrong with them?

Knaak was terrible. I strongly perfer Golden to Knaak.

Steeped in “noble savage,” tropes. I think that is the point Baal is making.

Which I will happily accept, given the only alternative Blizzard is capable of is Foamingly Rabid Savages.

Both tropes are bad, there must be an alternative than the lesser of two evils.

1 Like

Not from the writers who thought BFA was ‘Morally Grey’. And I doubt that kicking out a few bad apples will do much in that regard.

6 Likes

I’ll take a stab at it and say it vilifies the orcs without the demon blood

Tbh I feel as if they were lying through their teeth about that. Damage control from Alex.

1 Like