Sylvanas, Retcons, and You

Dude, a lot of the previous lore around Sylvanas contradicts the recent retcons. Look at edge of night, she has INTERNAL dialogue that just doesn’t make sense with her current state of mind and actions. If this path was really always planned for her, they did a poor job of showing it, on the other than the more likely explanation is that somewhere along the line the direction of the story was changed to fit a new narrative hence the back tracking.

Just take it for what it is. I love the Warcraft story but it’s hard to get caught up on the consistency of the story when the writers themselves don’t adhere to it.

11 Likes

Edge of Night was written by Dave Kosak not Alex Afrasiabi(who wrote all of Sylvanas’s questlines)!

Alex Afrasiabi was the one who wanted Sylvanas to be an ally of the Jailer(she even mentions sending Koltira to associates who can remove his “weakness”) while Kosak was a Sylvanas fan girl!

Don’t forget that Garrosh’s actions in Stonetalon were a result of miscommunication between Afrasiabi(who wrote Stonetalon) and Kosak(who wrote the new Zones for Cataclysm)! It still effected the Lore in that Garrosh had a “There is killing and then there is murder.” philosophy that kept him from killing children in their sleep.

Kosak of course is now on the Hearthstone Team so Afrasiabi has nothing standing in the way of his grand design!

It will be sad when, in five or six years when WoW has almost certainly been run into the ground, we get one of those post-mortem “what happened?” interviews where we discover that writer egos basically wrecked the foundations of the franchise.

I’m not going to say that there wasn’t pressure from higher up to hit certain story beats, but I feel that, even given these relatively icky parameters, most of us here could have gotten us from point A to point B without pissing so many people off.

17 Likes

Source for Afrasiabi writing all of them?

If nothing else, someone other than him (Metzen?) must have been writing her from 2004-2006.

1 Like

Can’t do that, chief. I’m pretty confident that the more the writing begins to drastically weigh the experience down with stupidity, the more the player base will begin to dwindle- therefore, the only way to address the issue is to tackle it head on, otherwise there might not be a recovery. Consider the sentiment of a majority of the people on the forums, which I would say has far less apologists than it does those who condemn the poor writing. A humorous notion, to be frank- “the writing is poor because writing stories is hard” is possibly the worst excuse imaginable.

And on top of that, I’m a lot more critical towards story writing these days. I’m older and pay a lot closer attention to details in general than I used to.

Edit: I want to clarify that I’m not “mad” or “angry” about this. There are quite a few people who are taking the sloppy writing as a personal attack on them, which is also quite humorous. Don’t be that person.

8 Likes