Sylvanas' death

On a more serious note, if I had to make a real prediction, then I’d guess that Sylvanas isn’t going to be killed by one vengeful enemy; she’s going to fall to the power of friendship.

Because she’s a sociopath and can’t relate to the non-narcissist living, Sylvanas consistently underestimates the extent to which people will stay loyal to and fight for unselfish ideals–for loved ones, for the Horde, for the Alliance, etc. So she’ll develop some super-villain scheme that relies on her enemies acting on hatred–like pitting Tyrande and Genn against Anduin or something, or using her loyalists to sew distrust between the Horde and the Forsaken.

And her plan just…won’t work. They might get their panties in a knot, but ultimately the heroes of Azeroth will learn to forgive and forget, because Sylvanas doesn’t understand them 20% so we’ll as she thinks she does. Her enemies will collect the elements of harmony and prepare to blast her into oblivion with a rainbow ion cannon.

She won’t even see it coming because she’ll have assumed that manipulating the “tin soldiers” was the easy part of her plan. Nathanos will probably see it coming and try desperately to warn her, but by then she’ll be so mad with ultimate power that she’ll just see this as disloyalty and kill him, sealing her unicorn fate.

IOW, she’ll just die at the end of the war campaign in the BfA 2.0 expansion.

3 Likes

That was her stated plan for the war of thorns cause genn to throw a fit because allisnce helped night elves before them or have tyrande throw a fit because alliance didn’t help. She assumed the allisnce would just impolde.

Yeah, and I kind of expect her to just stick to that mold, especially since it seems to be kind of working in the case of Tyrande. Depending on what she wants.

I don’t know. It’s hard to say what “working” even means when her motives are so…I guess “opaque” would be the nice word.

(made-up, empty, and arbitrary also come to mind)

Only a little tyrande didnt cause an implosion snd have the night rlves leave the alliance like she planned.

We’ll have to see where Tyrande’s void-tinged rabbit hole leads.

Either way, though, does Sylvanas-qua-BfA strike you as someone who grows wise through her failures? I figure failure is just all the more motivation to double down in her methods, to show she didn’t really fail at all.

Yep if at first you don’t succeed trust in the plot to save you.

I really, really, REALLY don’t like the idea of Sylvanas overthrowing Bolvar to become the Lich Queen…but if she did, it would be the most poetic of deaths to have some spirit or memory fragment or what have you of Arthas to push over the edge.

Imagine we’ve fought all the way up to Icecrown and put Sylvanas on her knees. She will soon die, but is clinging, desperately grasping at the tendrils of undeath, no longer concerned about her master(s) or Nathanos or anything she might have once cared for. She’s not even looking at us, but a human spirit between us and her.

He appears to her as he did on that day: white hair and pale skin, cold to the touch and smiling the same arrogant, wicked smile. The memory version of Frostmourne glimmers in the snow, the runes blazing in a hungering light as he comes for her. Sylvanas is livid, she refuses to die now, especially if it is Arthas that comes to take her to the Shadowlands (or wherever the hell she ends up).

Her anguished cries of defiance and fear ring out over Northrend as the memory of Arthas stabs her through the chest, just like the first time she died. Once more she is powerless against him, the one person in all of Azeroth and beyond she hates more than anyone else. In a bloodcurdling scream of final, hopeless rebellion, she succumbs to her wounds, and the memory of Arthas drags her to the eternal damnation they both deserve.

Would it be kill stealing? Maybe. Would it be worth it? Absolutely.

3 Likes

Not to mention the neckbeards who fawn over her would literally throw a tantrum if she got anything less. The ending has made it pretty clear there was never supposed to be a Sylvannas loyalist side, and Blizzard only caved to the massive fan backlash.

I wish! I have so many dream journal entries I could post in here. Sylvanas isn’t the one who dies in all my snuff fantasies though.

I don’t want Sylvanas to die like that (or at all, tbh) but that mental image really cracked me up.

YMMV, but I’ve always seen Sylvanas’s torment at the hands of Arthas before WoW as a metaphor for very specific trauma, most especially the kind of invasive trauma a man can inflict upon a woman which may completely alter her perceptions forever (in some senses, “killing” her former self). I won’t say it outright but I think people know what I’m getting at. I saw her descent into torment after Arthas’s death as momentarily giving in to the pull of that trauma (she kills herself, for goodness sake).

I really, really don’t think introducing Arthas’s smug ghost as a means of forcing Sylvanas to relive the moment all the goodness was ripped out of not only her soul, but her entire world (she died when she was still a Good Guy defending her city, mind you) would be at all poetic or appropriate. She can face poetic justice, certainly, but that specific punishment would be like if a villain was abused as a child and therefore turned to villainy, so to punish this villain, the heroes transform him back into a child and force him to relive his abuse for the rest of forever.

In other words, that’s messed up, what the hell dude.

4 Likes

Sylvanas’ fate has already been foretold.

She shall be cornered by Delaryn Summermoon, who will monologue at her until Nathanos shows up and drives her back. Sylvanas will travel to Northrend and claim the Helm of Dominion and become the Lich Queen. She will remain dormant for about 5 or 6 years while we fight, in order:

• The Mutant Tomato Empire of the Emerald Dream
  • The Pink Dragonflight led by the Aspect of Rainbows
  • The Cardinal Offensive of New Lordaeron
  • The Winter Horde
  • The Summer Alliance

Once we deal with all of those and are ready to set down to peace as signed by Arthas Wrynn (Anduin’s Half-Elf son with Liadrin) and Wargod Thura Saurfang (Thrall’s new wife who fights while pregnant to make her unborn children stronger, because Orcs), Sylvanas will attack the Horde and Alliance in their new orbital capitals of Solwind and Saurmar, and then we’ll all go to Northrend to put her down. Highlord Garrosh Hellscream of the Lightbound will lead the Alliance’s forces, while Nisha of the Vulpera will lead the Horde.

After taking down Haxxramas and killing Nathanos Blightcaller, we will be temporarily distracted by raiding Ulduoauiar and killing the Prime Naaru within. Then we’ll all unite behind High Shaman Dagran Jr., leader of the Ringcircle of Viridian Earth. We’ll storm icecrown. The Alliance will go through a series of three mini dungeons, led by Shandris Feathermoon, while the Horde will do the same led by Delaryn Summermoon.

Then at last we face off against Sylvanas, except we all die because she’s like that, and Dagran Jr. breaks out of Death-Jail and scratches her face. She throws a monumental trantrum, throwing-up all the souls she’s eaten since she became the Lich Queen, her lithe, slender, sexualized body grotesquely engorged to put any Flesh Abomination or Imp Mother to shame.

The players, no longer conflicted about killing her now because she’s ugly, land the final blow. Dagran Jr. moves to put on the Helm of Dominion but is stopped by Nazgrim who says the burden must be his. He sits on the throne, the ice forming over him, and just before it seals, Taylor hops into his lap and the two spend eternity entwined, at last able to express their feelings for one another.

Also Onyxia comes back again for… some reason. It’s not well explained, it just happens. We kill her again.

9 Likes

I’ve already got gold down betting he gets dungeon boss’d in 9.0.

2 Likes

This is fantastic.

4 Likes

Hey now! Wth?
You guys are being mean.

2 Likes

Sure, you could see it as that kind of metaphor, quite easily in fact, but almost every villain in the history of ever was wronged in some way, and were typically good people before their downfalls.

Is it extreme? Totally, but also perfect imo. I mean, she did burn down an entire capital city (killing thousands, at least) and send entire armies to die in a sinkhole in the middle of the sea, and that’s just two dirty things in the most recent expansion. Even taking into account the particular metaphor hinted at above, severely cruel punishment is called for a severely cruel person, even if the way she became that way is tragic.

If you choose to believe in hell, aren’t you glad people like Hitler ended up there? Well, it just so happens that like Uther the Lightbringer: I dearly hope there’s a special place in hell for you, Arthas Sylvanas.

She succeeds in her mysterious plan to bring the shadow realm into our realm. Gets killed by Death monster and her soul is sent to shadow jail. Her loyalist will rescue her and she lead the final attack again Death monster. In the end she will choose to remain the new queen of the shadowlands as the realms un-merge and we remain in the living realm. Her last cryptic words to us are “ill always be watching”.

Hah! That’s where you’re wrong. Grotesquely engorged Sylvanas is how I like her! She just bumped up from a Kerrigan to a xenomorph Queen Mother in levels of hotness!

2 Likes

Hopefully she’ll die heroically so I can send some new miners to the salt mine.

6 Likes

Yea let us have a villain die a heroic death, that will surely be received well.

Fixed for you.

4 Likes

It is! They actually used to be quite common, particularly during Cataclysm when Worgen players were encouraged to view her as a kind of racial nemesis. Like elimination games, however, they’ve fallen out of fashion.