SWTOR Changing Studios

Hadn’t seen anyone mention this yet but

I love swtor I hope this isn’t a bad thing :sob:

1 Like

Often isnt tbh. Its the little studios that put the most “heart” into what they produce. Bioware’s best work was when they were just Bioware. Before they became EAware.

Its almost never bad when you transition from being corporate to being Mom and Pop. But it’s almost always bad when you transition from Mom and Pop to corporate

2 Likes

I pre-ordered the collectors edition day one and was the first 50 on my server. This game hasn’t received any meaningful content updates in a long time. They’ve been coasting off cosmetic cash shop sales for years.

Small updates

https://i.imgur.com/vXWKfaY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kZnxVw4.jpg

So I’m overall unsure but still sad as I just feel tor is an iconic bioware title so I’ll be sad to see them lose it regardless

My main concern is if it does end up being a positive thing what’s w this

Well it was a fun run. I can’t complain.

They realeased a new “expansion” in Feb 2022. I say expansion in quotes due to
not knowing what they class as a expansion for the game. I do know it has
two new storylines one for each side.

I’m not too familiar with Broadsword other than they work on Ultima Online so I hope they keep that going too.

The .5 patches in this game are much more content rich than even the biggest “expansions” swtor receives. It’s a shame it never had a WoW sized expansion but it is what it is. Most of those story lines they add are really short.

It was a really fun game at launch but EA refused to continue investing in it. My guess is there’s a new star wars MMO on the horizon and when that launches the plug gets pulled.

I agree with this guy fully.

There were some rumors zenimax was making a SW MMO as well. I guess the question is whether it’s going to be a game as a service type game like the division or destiny, or if it’s more of a traditional MMO. If it turns out to be zenimax it’s probably more an ESO type game.

I think we’ll know a lot more over the next few weeks with these companies doing their E3 but not E3 showcases.

Broadsword is owned by EA (as is Bioware) and is the old Mythic Studios (guys who did DAoC and Warhammer MMO’s) that became Bioware Mythic for some time and then rebranded Broadsword. They stated some Bioware Austin employees will transfer over to Broadsword but others will be layed off. So unless you believe in the “more with less” practice of business, SW:TOR is going to live at the farm which is a shame because their individual class stories were top notch but after the launch it pretty much went down hill. EA gave up on the MMO a long time ago.

EA lost their exclusive deal with Star Wars recently although they can still make SW games so can other studios now. That said, it makes little sense for a studio to invest major commitments to an IP you don’t own and can be taken away from you. That’s why many of these license games are simply cash grabs.

1 Like

I will add this important point:

“Currently, roughly 70-80 people are part of the core development team of The Old Republic, more than half of whom are expected to move to Broadsword.”

So SWTOR should continue to get new updates if 40 or 50 devs go to Broadsword. But I don’t know if it’s sure.

What this most likely means is the game will get revamped. The game has been on EA’s back burner for years. This can only help the game get better

I found this thread

It’s significant in that that’s a former BioWare employee I don’t remember what they did but I remember the name actually from their old team

Maintenance Mode.

I think that fear is valid but it’s not a fact.

And it could very well end up being a good thing like several former devs have even pointed out.

Did you give this reply any rational thought? Before posting? Your response makes absolutely zero rational sense what so ever.

If that were true at all, a new studio would NOT offer to buy it. You dont buy a game you are planning to place into maintenance mode because you just paid a lump sum for the rights to continue producing a game and Maintenance mode will NOT recoup that money spent. Not even close. You would lose a TON of money. Maintenance mode keeps a game a float. It is NOT a money maker. Maintenance mode is what a company does to squeeze a little more $$ out of a game before you pull the plug on it for good. It is NOT a way to generate profit.

Buying a game rights to only place the game into maintenance mode would be stupid. Such business decisions would put you in Bankruptcy. SO if the game saw any drastic changes at all, the Game may get a total Revamp under the new studio that may wind up feeling like SWTOR 2.0

1 Like

Figured I should update w the latest

https://www.swtor.com/info/news/article/20230627

I’m relieved Keith will be going over and staying w swtor

KOTOR1 was one of the best games of all time. good. EA is garbo yeah?

I played the full campaign Empire side like a decade ago or so and found it satisfying and a well rounded MMO. Someone somewhere pointed out though that they completely revamped the basic gameplay and companions heal you and made the game very weird and kind of streamlined in a major way, and also encouraged you to ignore the sidequests. It was sometime around Knight of the Fallen Empire expansion or something. I think that kind of did a bad job for the game overall.

They really undermined their game there, without that, I think it could of been more of a TESO, a pretty popular game after release issues and it wasn’t as good as WoW issues were settled. I think it was probably just slightly better than TESO. They seemed content to let those changes be in the game for the next 7 years or so, so it seems to me they’ve taken a dedicated direction for the game that will prevent it from becoming really popular again.

But also it wasn’t as good as WoW, and the Bioware fans basically don’t care about it they care about Mass Effect and Dragon Age because of the more developed romance options and things like that. Only classic Bioware fans from the BG and NWN and KOTOR era would of cared about it, and they’re just not a significant enough group to really propel SWTOR.

The MMO graveyard has seen more significant blows though, Warhammer and Wildstar for example. Bioware acquired a dedicated focus that Mythic and Carbine never got that means that at the very least their games will never be unplayable, so that’s something.