Sword Spec BUGGED!

Respecced to sword spec after getting a new weapon, Demonshear, last week. Put 5/5 points in Warrior Arms talent tree which is supposed to give a 5% chance to proc a second melee hit with a sword from any melee hit, normal or special attacks. Out of 867 hits (combined of melee and special attacks) you’re only getting a roughly 3.5% chance for the sword spec to proc an extra hit according to recount.

I thought it seemed lower than it should be, and testing with recount confirmed my hypothesis. I’m not sure if it’s not proccing on special attacks now and just melee hits (it’s supposed to proc on any hit, melee or special just like axe spec’s chance to crit any any hit) or what the deal is, but it is definitely broken.

This makes Axe spec far and away superior considering equal weapons. Not sure what blizzard did here, but should be fixed!

1 Like

you should test with a bigger swing basis. i generally only take information consistent after 5k+ swings or hits. 1k should show but there is chances to get bad procs consecutively and there is no guarantee to get 5% out of 1k swings.

Not only is total swings a factor, but fight length. Id say 1k 5/10 man / 1k world mobs / 1k low level / 5k raid hits would give you the best possible spread of data.

side note on that, be sure to calculate out your parry, dodge, and miss so it doesn’t affect the data. you only care about successful hits since we aren’t calculating dps and only aggregating a proc rate.

And glancing blows. Can sword spec proc on a glancing/miss/dodge/block/parry? If not then that means only less than half of your total melee swings can actually use the 5% chance to proc it.

Maybe the fight club discord has some healthy data on this. Even im interested because i love sword spec.

1 Like

Now account for the # of dodges/parries you had out of that 867. Are you hitcapped? Better account for misses too.

Those WILL affect your proc rate, just as surely as they’ll affect your crit rate.

Glancings and blocked attacks can proc Sword Spec, same as they can HoJ or Windfury. All that’s necessary for a chance to proc any of those is dealing a single point of damage.

1 Like

What about a completly absorbed hit - you did deal damage

Also make sure your method of tracking is actually rock solid.

Remember HoJ trinket a while back? Perfectly fine, but the add-on used to track it was not counting all the procs as procs.

This kind of thing can mess with your results.

I made a weak aura that watches the combat log for “you gained x extra attcks from hand of justice” and modified “hand of justice” to look for sword spec/thrash blade/flurry axe/windfury/windfury totem. It shows a glowing icon for what procced it - i was thinking of adding another wa to track total number of procs specifit as to what procced it.

Recount has shown some weird info in regards to things like deep wounds proccing hoj.

Good idea, also consider that how blizzard is presenting the information on combat log; for example a mortal strike sword spec proc may be different from a white attack sword spec proc.

This new game engine is really glitchy, and there are so many bugs it’s actually kinda depressing.

The combat log shows that you gained a ‘x’ amount of attacks from ‘y’ source. It does not list the attack that caused them. All ‘extra’ attacks are shown in the combat log as auto attacks - nothing is listed about them being ‘extra attacks’.

The only way to recognise what is an extra attack is from the timestamp on the swing.

https://i.imgur.com/7xiqgh3.png
1 Like

Thinking we ought to go back to the vanilla and check the old videos out to see how sword spec proc looks on special abilities; I remember them as yellow attacks in those situations.

Not sure why, but it’s how I remember it.

Whte damage. Very easy to see this vid is legit and not some p server crap. We all know this one is real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGBnjELkgok

Time stamp 2.29 a proc of either sword spec or hoj - i cant tell.

Could be HoJ, in the intro he shows that he’s got it.

Trying to find another vanilla era vid without that trinket.

However with that said, I can’t help but notice how not subject to “Classic Batching & Leeway” Vanilla was as presented in that video.

Additionally backing up my strong suspicions that classic batching and Leeway while numerically accurate according to the data sheet is WRONG in actual practice giving us a very different game from actual Vanilla.

Sorry for the side rant.

Could also be windfury totem. What it does show you is 100% those ‘extra attacks’ where white damage only. Later in the vid there is a clear use of sweeping strikes and whirlwind - all of this damage (4 targets for 8 total hits) is yellow. Every one of those 8 hits also has a chance to proc hoj/sword spec/wind fury.

Thats why it is so powerful. Blizz nerfed the chain procs (as in all of those extra attacks procced from the original 8 could also proc hoj/sword spec/wind fury for an infinite loop).

• Extra attack multiproc works (a single attack procing multiple extra attacks like WF and Sword Spec.)
  • Extra attack chain proc does not work with WF/Sword Spec (procing an extra attack off of an extra attack)
  • Pummel procs WF and Sword Spec
  • Shield Bash procs Sword Spec but not WF
  • Sword Spec with a queued HS and instant attack gives the HS immediately just like WF
  • Multiproc extra attacks (WF+Sword Spec) with Hamstring while having HS queued - you get the HS and another regular white hit
  • Battle Shout on guardians does not work :feelsbadman:
  • Chance on hit weapons: work with Bloodthirst, Sunder, don’t work with Shield Bash / Shield Slam

As tested already in Classic regarding procs.

Edited above; did you know that Sword spec back when that video was made could indeed proc sword spec…

That got nerfed arround naxx… QQ.

Holy christ. How can you actually think not even 900 swings is an acceptable sample size?

1 Like

Yes - i was sword spec arms at the time. Each and every attack + instant extra attack (ss/hoj/wf) could proc any of them again, including iteself for an infinite loop.

This is just yet another reason why 1.12 is a mistake.

They should have embraced the franken-patch.

So Sword Spec is for 100% certain a white attack in actual vanilla.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kb2aO2fD64

We all know This is not a private server video.