Swearing, social contract and swear filter

If you don’t want to be talked down to, stop talking down to everyone yourself. Vrak did not talk down to you until you kept complaining that he was giving half measures when he explained the policy to you and the fact that profanity has been against the rules since the game launched. The filter is there for those that wish to use it as Blizzard knows that some people will still use such language in game. Even with the filter being turned on, you can get actioned for using profanity if it is reported.

[quote=“Snowbite-grobbulus, post:47, topic:1335376”]
So what’s the warning rate on the whole swearing thing? Is it per day or per message. Retroactively punished? Or is it live punishment only?
[/quote]The social contract was your warning. Each and every time you get actioned can lead to more and harsher penalties…including account closure. That is also dependent upon how egregious your violation is as a single time can net full closure of your account.

4 Likes

debatable.

lol sure. I remember the myriad of people catching bans and silence…oh wait no they werent. Times change though as garrosh says. and im trying to keep up with them. But honestly it’s just getting to the point where im not gonna care lmao.

I’ll just run the risk of silences and talk as normal. Most of this is ridiculous posturing anyway. Players have the tools to curate their experience but its not enough. Someone has to suffer for it lol.

Fine. I get it. Risk swearing at your own peril. I just wanted some details on the workings of it so i can dodge it and not be bothered or bother anyone.

But really posts like yours are just kinda doing nothing but pushing me to not care even though im really trying to lol

1 Like

Oh, yes they were. I was given an in-game warning in 2007 for using one word of profanity in-game. I had other acquaintances who received suspensions for the same due to having had past actions against them.

8 Likes

Lol sounds like a hard R word. Kinda the only kind they enforced back then. Guess it still counts though right? Swearing is swearing now.

1 Like

Huh, I hadn’t thought I was. I was just being direct, which is normal for me.

I don’t know what you mean, Snowbite. If you violate policy, you could potentially be silenced or earn a suspension from the game.

As I said, our policies are reactive in nature, so other players would need to report the violation for our staff to review it. If they review the reported chat and find that you had violated our chat policies, they will apply the penalty based on the violation and the history on the account.

For example, if you were to be penalized for the first time ever, you may only receive a temporary silence for 24 hours. If after that point you violated policy again, you may be suspended from the game for a short duration. The length of the penalty is cumulative and will stack.

9 Likes

Do you need any additional clarification? I think people have been trying to be straightforward, but sometimes we do miss the forest for the trees.

1 Like

Means say i swear in chat or whatever and catch a warning message right? And then stop said swearing.
Do previous things count too from that warning onward? Or is it WARNING:clean slate, dont screw up again.

1 Like

I could see where Snow thought you were talking down…though I knew you were being direct as always. You don’t shirk from the truth and that was one of the first things I remember when I first visited the forums, and you earned my respect from that moment on.

4 Likes

Im pretty direct too. I just potentially catch bans for it.

1 Like

That you may not have been aware of it, Snowbite, doesn’t mean it hasn’t been happening. It really depends on what you are exposed to. It happens a great deal, we see folks post here all the time with questions about it.

Swearing always has been.

No. As I said, our policies are reactive in nature. Meaning, you would need to be reported for it to be reviewed.

I explained that in everything that followed in the post you just quoted.

No, it isn’t one and done. Penalty history stacks and determined the severity and length of additional penalties further down the line.

6 Likes

yes, everything you get actioned for, including profanity stacks and stays on your account.

2 Likes

Fair enough but that goes both ways. If enough anecdotal experience is gathered from multiple people is it really anecdotal anymore? I hear ya though. Im sure some were.

no no no you dont get it.

I mean like from the warning onward lol. You getting reported results in a warning right? ANd (hopefully) an actual review? So like from that point forward you’re “On the list” so to speak right?

Well say at the time you got on the list there were still reports coming in FROM THE SAME INFRACTION. But different reports. Do they all stack against you becuse theyre from differnet people? And that counts as multiple? Or is it just one because of the single incident??

1 Like

It’s simple. Anything that can be filtered by the adult language filter isn’t appropriate at all. All the filter does is highlight chat that can be reported. The rules say that masked language isn’t appropriate either.

Reporting for language is a legitimate reason.

Except that using those characters instead of a swear word is just as reportable as the swear word itself.

There were players coming to the forums about suspension because of language violations back in Vanilla. It was reportable then. I did it.

Either they were or they weren’t. It can’t be both. And yes, they acted on more than just one or two words back then. It’s just that you had to make a full ticket back then to report it. You only have to right-click to report them now. So much easier. Because it’s easier and streamers demonstrating that it works more people are using it.

4 Likes

no not actioned, reported for. Leading to multiple actions. Say getting punished repeatedly for the same thing.

1 Like

You really should take a step back and think about what you just said. T is for Teen, which directly means ages 13 and up (some people colloquially refer to it as double digits, so 10 and up). Would you be ok with a stranger directing cuss words at your 13-year-old child? There has also been a recent discussion on an offensive sexual act in PvP combat. Same thought: would you like to be known as someone who did that a 13-year-old?

There are actual people behind these characters you see on your screen. Always remember that.

What’s not to understand? Every player agreed to the ToU when they signed up. The ToU says don’t use profanity. Trying to obfuscate the issue doesn’t work.

Please do. But I think you’re going to be taken aback by how many people already know this, and what a small minority you belong to.

But this isn’t an accident. You chose to: 1) agree to not curse, and 2) curse anyway. You can just as easily choose to make a point without cussing, or simply not type.

While I think it would be hilarious to not tell you and see you back here in a couple days, I’ll be the bigger person. It’s not silences anymore. Those were ineffective, as you are proving right now.

They are suspending people. For days and weeks, not hours. Account closures are very possible.

Quite frankly, players and Blizzard are sick of toxic players, and it’s going to end, one way or another. Either toxic players learn to change their behavior, or they’ll be playing a different game. The choice is up to you.

A warning could happen when many people report you in a small time frame. That does not mean you won’t get actioned from the reports as well.

5 Likes

I got beef with this one too. Khokum is a cree word for grandma but people have been (maybe) reporting me for that. They said they were but i mean. Coulda just been teasing me.

Still wouldnt put it past someone who just isnt aware of what the word is and i dont blame them for that. I just dont want to get in trouble for something that is innocent or have someone be bothered by something they shouldnt be.

1 Like

It’s actually kokum. But beyond that, I’m not sure what this has to do with anything. If you are using it as a slur, you can be actioned for it.

If there’s any question as to whether it could be misinterpreted or misconstrued, then don’t use it.

6 Likes

Ah, I got it. I think, correct me if I misunderstood.

It is basically a single occurrence. Ideally, we try to get to those reports as quickly as we can, so it shouldn’t be a long period of time, but no, you wouldn’t get in trouble for example, for cussing at 9:15 pm, then another one at 9:45 pm, then another at 10:15 pm with all those penalties just adding to each other. Or multiple reports from different people, etc… It’s the same thing.

The investigation would be based on the current time frame and just apply one penalty based on the overall behavior/violations.

Only future reports would count for new penalties.

5 Likes

yeah but here’s the thing. this game isnt exactly worth this much tip toeing to be honest with you and an account closure or ban or whatever just wouldn’t matter lol. I know how arrogant that comes across and all that but it IS just WoW.

I came back after years long periods and really its nothing lmao. I just want to figure out the system a little more is all. Im willing to play nice and by the rules but I’m not gonna sit here and pretend like “UR ACCOUNT WILL GET BANNNNNED” is some grandiose threat.

1 Like

thank you. Thats the info I was looking for because it looked a bit sketchy right? Wasnt very clear on how that worked. But now I am. preciate it.

This doesnt mean you can swear at 9 am and then at 12 and space out your reports lmao. if anyone thought thats what it meant.

1 Like