SV BLASTS in M+!

Im a healer main(Disc Priest) that has KSM. I dont push too much higher than 15’s but I know my way around the low/medium keys well enough.

I recently made a Survival Hunter and created the Bomb leggo and have been killing it in dungeons. Far and away leading on AOE and overall damage yet doing decent enough on single target. Like S Tier AOE and B Tier Single Target.

Just wondering why there is such a stigma around it.

I mained a Hunter from Burning Crusade until WoD, where I took a break and just returned at the mid/end of BFA.

I REALLY miss old ranged Survival but it impossible for me to deny the results that it is a fun and effective spec being melee.

Why do people consider it a meme spec if it does decently well?

EDIT: I could switch over and post on my Hunter but its nothing special, just an alt I started recently but am really considering making it my main alt for 9.1. It’s so much fun.

1 Like

It is a squishy MDPS that doesn’t bring group utility as the mage already has lust covered. The damage output is fine. But most people would rather bring an MDPS with more group utility … like a DH who would also make the mobs take 5% more magic damage. Or an Outlaw Rogue that can do even more damage while also providing great cc.

It’s not that the spec is bad, it’s just that other specs are better.

6 Likes

Most hunters don’t want to melee. Most groups when inviting a hunter expect a ranged when there are often few melee spots they want to give out. It also doesn’t really have any utility it brings over the other two specs other than the shorter interrupt CD.

SV does well enough in M+. But those are the main reasons why there is a stigma around it. If you like it, you should play it however.

10 Likes

Survival fills the same niche as most other melee, really good consistent aoe and then mediocre single target damage. There are of course exceptions but generally thats what the melee is for in m+ is to carry the pack to pack damage.

Msv is not welcome for many reasons that are already stated. The ptr buffs for Tuesday barely bring them off the bottom of the barrel. It’s just, not a very good spec. Rsv needs to return.

This is why:

It’s more or less explicitly aimed at being a fun little side alt for people who don’t play Hunters rather than long time Hunter mains. So most Hunters avoid it.

Yes, it also gets kicked from some dungeons. That’s partly because people don’t want a Hunter which can otherwise be ranged taking up a melee spot and partly because people are ignorant of its performance. It’s more than fine from a performance standpoint. In 9.1 it will probably outperform MM and especially BM in M+ depending on how tuning pans out. The problem is adding an extra melee is a huge price to ask even if SV can still do a lot of damage at range.

But the primary reason you aren’t seeing many SV Hunters in M+ is simply because there aren’t many SV Hunters.

It’s strengths are in spite of being melee, not because of it. It was a beast in challenge modes and PvP when it was ranged. So ranged SV was arguably both more fun (at least fun for more people) and more effective.

9 Likes

Oh yeah, I agree. Honestly, I was really disappointed after coming back from a years long break and seeing that my long-time main had been turned melee.

Make no mistake, I would much prefer Ranged Survival.

But just taking it for what it is, I’m having a lot of fun. Sucks what happened but no point in staying mad about it.

I also plan to have Marks geared and ready as well, as to make myself the most useful and play SV in the situations that it works(it really seems to have the edge mostly M+).

SV as you have seen for yourself can do well in M+. With the Wildfire Lego, you can do great AOE. ST is B class, but with the buff’s we will see how well that helps.

The true reasons are simply people jump and scream so much about the spec without playing it. Even if they do play it and find it to be fun, they will never admit it because they have been in these forums protesting against for so long. Of course nobody will admit to it, but that is the truth and nature of it.

So…everyone loves Survival. Or, they love Survival but are afraid to admit it or they just haven’t played it yet?

Are those the only two(3) options to pick between? Can’t it be that many actually do dislike, or even hate it? For X reason…

Or perhaps, there can even be people that don’t particularly care about the spec. They just don’t like what was done to the former SV spec.

8 Likes

Ehhh, no. I think it’s OK, but as I’ve said on here many times before, the playstyle in PvP is counterintuitive. You spend the majority of your time kiting, and then joust a little when you have a kill opportunity. If I’m going to spend 80% of the time at ranged, just patch out the other 20%? I mean, the spec is literally 3 to 4 changes from being ranged anyway.

Everyone who wants to know, already knows, the rest don’t care or are too butthurt.
Such topics are useless.

-Sincery
SV main

1 Like

I mean. I really do think I gave it a fair shake, I’ve tried it on more than one occasion. I played it enough in Legion where I got the mage tower appearance (along with BM and MM), and tried it again for the brief bit that I played BFA, and I currently have stuff to play SV again since I have also tried it a bit in SL.

Genuinely, I want people to play what they like, Shadow. It’s why I consistently recommend people who like it to play it, and why I also advocate trying to find ways to improve it for those who like it (like you yourself have seen in the 9.1 section).

This isn’t a fair take. I know some people can be a bit aggressive concerning their feelings about the spec, but there isn’t some conspiracy of people who secretly find it fun or haven’t tried it. I think the simple answer for most hunters players is, it just doesn’t appeal to them. I’m sorry.

I think it absolutely should perform well and shouldn’t be purposefully be left in the dust, and I absolutely recommend people try it out and if you like it, I am genuinely glad for you. I think, people are allowed to have a nuanced position on what was obviously a controversial change to the class man.

Edit: To be clear, I’m not sure if whether I find it fun or not is really relevant anyways to my stance. Which is, I don’t think specs should be deleted to make way for new ones in a long running RPG. I think that leads to all sorts of problems and ends up pushing players away, which is why I advocate for SV staying as is and being improved upon and also advocating for a fourth spec. That way, players can all enjoy what they like without need for deleting anything.

7 Likes

Wowow another Survival is AMAZING thread!

Survival SURE is amazing and it’s that amazing, it needs weekly threads reminding us just, how, amazing, it really IS.

:heart: SV :heart:

1 Like

Better go cry like the other “omg bm/mm got no changes” aye?

1 Like

Those SV buffs sure are going to be useful on the bench :rofl: :+1:

2 Likes

Is SV the only spec that people aren’t allowed to post about enjoying or are there others?

I would hate to enjoying some I’m not supposed to or for something to do well where it’s not allowed.

4 Likes

For me if I want tgoos AoE I would play a HDH instead,is more mobile, bring better group utility, more fun and out dps SV. If I want more ST I okay my priest and if I want range I can play MM Hunter.
SV is fun but most pug only bring one melee and there are more melee spec that better than SV. At least what Mm hunter is range

By all means, enjoy the spec. There doesn’t need to be 2 threads every week about how amazing a spec is.

3 Likes

Oh no, you can totally post about enjoyed it. Danski’s point is there pretty much weekly there is a thread on the hunter forums talking about how MSV is gods gift to wow basically.

2 Likes

I mean, no offense but I don’t need your approval to post a topic here; that privilege is included with my account.

I briefly browsed the forums and didn’t see any recent topics.

Even if there is a topic, I’m within my rights as a forum goer to make a thread notifying other players that I found enjoyment in a spec.

I’m a healer main and don’t like a lot of DPS specs but something about Survival is really fun.

I don’t like it as much as old survival(I mained Hunter from BC-Wod), but it’s second best compared to that. Wish I’d gotten around to trying it earlier.

Anyways, to state the obvious, if it’s such a big deal and upsets folks wouldn’t the easy thing be to just not click the thread and continue browsing elsewhere?

Edit: to be clear, Hunter was my very first character I ever played to 60, which was a big deal back in Vanilla/BC and I mained all 3 specs depending on performance for many years but always leaned towards SV.

It sucks what happened with the spec getting completely ixnayed but I’m not gonna stay mad. At a game. Or at people that are having fun for enjoying it. That seems, really…meh.

6 Likes