Suspended for having the name Warrenbuffet

There are 24 other Warrenbuffet’s on WoW. I was provided with a 24H suspension on classic and a forced name change. Is this what they mean by people abusing the report button? Is there a reason why the other 24 Warrenbuffet’s are not suspended?

2 Likes

Blizzard is reactive in regards to name reports. Meaning that they do not go searching for violators and rely on players to send in reports. Chances are those other ones just haven’t been reported yet OR the system hasn’t updated to reflect that they have.

Our policies are primarily reactive in nature so it is likely the name wasn’t seen by anyone who either cared or were aware of the policies to know that the name may violate them. Once that situation changed, it was reported and thus reviewed by our staff in accordance with our policies.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20768686667#post-7

6 Likes

Basicly keep real world references outa wow most will report a name if they think it violates policies or offensive i once saw a player with a eating disease name and reported. fantasynamegenerators is great for fantasy related names.

7 Likes

Naming

Names are subject to the same rules established above. Any name the player has the ability to customize—such as player names, BattleTags, and guild names—must be appropriate and inoffensive. Any name that violates our standards or disrupts the community will be changed, and additional limitations may be placed on the offending account per our discretion.

Take note that acceptable names are determined by player reports and Blizzard’s decision, and role-playing servers may have distinct standards for using game-appropriate names.

Character Naming Rules

• The character name must be between 2-12 characters long.
  • Accented characters are supported.
  • Numbers and symbols are not supported.
  • Mixed capitals and spaces are not supported.

Penalties

In most cases, a player will receive a warning about the offending name and will be assigned a randomly generated temporary name. A message will be sent to the account’s registered email address with instructions on how to change the temporary name to one of the player’s choosing. In guild name violations, the message will be sent to the guild leader.

In some cases, violating this policy may result in action being taken against a WoW game account.

Do you think the name Warrenbuffet warranted a forced name change without warning? There was no warning about the offending name nor an e-mail about changing the temporary name (if it’s even temporary… e-mail reads forced changed). Just a 24H immediate suspension while trying to turn in a quest

1 Like

No one on the forums will neither overturn this action or let you keep the name, etc. The blues here can’t do anything for you in this regard and the normal posters will fight for your name.

Trying to rule lawyer your way out of this won’t do anything because, again, no one will change, overturn or give you your name back. More to the point, this forum is for the retail game, not classic.

2 Likes

While we’re no experts and can only speculate, this suggests a history of naming conflicts. Regardless, account actions should not be discussed on the forums, lest you risk further account actions for breaking the ToS you agreed to. Use the email you got, follow the link that should be included, and appeal the action if you feel it unjust or unfair. That is your only recourse.

3 Likes

Waren buffet real live person were not allowed to name our toons after real person.

5 Likes

No where in any of this does it say that Customer Support forum is specifically for retail only smh

What we think is irrelevant. It’s Blizzard’s discretion. Note the part you quoted yourself:

You were one of the “some cases”. Also note, while I haven’t seen Blizzard say as much, I would imagine they take previous issues on the retail account into consideration.

You have the means to appeal through an in-game ticket. Even if the suspension runs its course, it’s worth giving it a try. If they overturn it, the “black mark” is removed.

7 Likes

Thanks, will do

1 Like

Until the name of this forum is changed to ‘Retail Customer Support’, and a ‘Classic Customer Support’ forum is created in the appropriate place, I’m operating on the assumption that WoW Customer Support is WoW Customer Support.

7 Likes

As Kyzera mentioned, as well as the quote she provided, our policies are reactive in nature so they would need to be reported for them to be reviewed. Let me make a few points on this.

First, there is no abuse of the name report option. Regardless if one or one hundred people report a name, it only generates a report for our staff to review. The report itself does not take any action nor does it make our decision for us. Our staff reviews the name report and makes the decision to change it based on our policies and procedures.

Second, as I’m not currently in the office I can’t review your record but generally speaking, outside of using certain vulgarities within a name, we tend to try to provide an education for first offenses. A suspension is usually applied if such warnings have been provided already. This isn’t a guarantee, but it is fairly common. If you received a suspension that usually means that you have been warned against bad names in the past. Not saying that is what happened, but that is the more common scenario.

To be clear, no it is not. There is no Classic Customer Support forum and this forum is not exclusive to only those folks who play the current expansion. We are Customer Support and we are here to try to provide what advice and guidance we can for new players, returning players, those who are currently in a Battle for Azeroth as well as those who are exploring the yesteryear of Classic.

10 Likes

In the case of penalties, Retail and Classic act as one. If an action is taken against the retail account, the same penalty happens to Classic, and vice versa.

What is shown in the Armory does not indicate that it is permitted. You have no way of knowing if they have a forced name change and haven’t logged into the character yet, the character hasn’t been reported yet, that the name has been changed and the armory hasn’t updated yet.

You are not permitted to name a character after a famous person, politician, celebrity, Leave your support for that person out of the game.

2 Likes

I’m actually somewhat uncertain about the whole “no real people” thing, because the naming policy doesn’t actually state that anymore. Mentions it in RP naming policy, but not the general one. I know it used to be there though.

1 Like