Survival Hunter wish list

I would call BfA’s overall class design far worse than WoD’s.

5 Likes

Confused as to what this sentence means. Ranged Survival’s last expansion was WoD, and melee Survival happened in Legion.

I’m just really upset with how things ended up post MoP and tend to frontload the blame to WoD lol. I agree, overall BfA class design is brutal. Empty shells.

I forgot that melee SV was Legion, I clumped it into wod because I remember playing my hunter in mists at the end, thinking that I knew I would never enjoy my hunter again because of some change. I assumed the change was melee SV but it might have been something else stupid, like at one point 2 specs didn’t have use of traps any more. That could have been it or something else I don’t really remember. Just remember queuing for BGs at the end of MoP trying to savour my hunter in the end times.

Traps being exclusive to SV was also early Legion.

WoD was the start of the pruning. Some abilities that were formerly available to all 3 specs became specific to 1 or 2. For example, Serpent Sting became SV-only, Rapid Fire became MM-only, MM lost Arcane Shot, SV lost Kill Shot.

Also, prepatch and early WoD had some pretty severe tuning issues that made MM the only viable spec until some early Highmaul hotfix.

1 Like

you enjoy your forum infamy? by that do you mean you enjoy being a threadkilling baby? well ranged survival is never coming back so im glad you enjoy something.

1 Like

I still shake my head when I think about this. What were they thinking?

Um, actually, that was MoP. True, MoP pruned just a few abilities, but that was when MM lost Arcane Shot. I remember making a few forum posts back in the MoP day raging over the loss of Arcane Shot; specifically, I insisted that MM needed an instant, no-cooldown shot. Arcane Shot was the sole instant, no-cooldown ability that MM had… and Blizzard thought it a good idea to remove it in MoP. Silly Blizzard.

Most of the other stuff, though? Yeah, it started in WoD. I wasn’t a big fan of WoD’s MM, but I’d take it a heartbeat over Legion MM – at least WoD MM still had Chimera Shot!

I miss SV bleed and hatchet toss more than legion flanking strike but would take either.

1 Like

They weren’t.

2 Likes

I would like Mending Bandage to act like the tooltip reads and not get interrupted by DoTs that were already active when you used the ability.

I would like my pets to be more confident and willing to jump off a ledge to follow me or attack their target.

I would like a PVP talent that increases the triggering radius of traps since enemies so frequently run through them and make it to the other side of the trap before being knocked towards me instead of away from me.

And more for Hunters in general, I would like all pets to be able to swap between Tenacity, Cunning, and Ferocity. Each pet could have a different ability depending on which “spec” they were in.

And if you really wanted to get ambitious, you could create a training system that allowed your pets to learn new abilities from other pets after so many training sessions at the stables.

2 Likes

http://www.mop-veins.tk/marksmanship-hunter-pve-dps-rotation-cooldowns-abilities#focus-dump

Icy Veins from MoP talks about Arcane Shot as part of the MM rotation.

1 Like

IIRC, and we all know how bad my mind is working lately, it was a DPS loss to use Arcane as the dump over Aimed.

Hmm. Odd, I could’ve sworn MoP MM didn’t have Arcane Shot. Guess my memory is failing me. :slight_smile:

You’re probably thinking about the WoD prepatch in October 2014, so for a month it was MoP content with WoD classes.

It’s the same reason why sometimes people remember Explosive Shot being a Burning Crusade ability.

4 Likes

Yes it was. Arcane Shot was used for movement periods.

2 Likes

I rarely touched MM at that time, poor AoE. Plus that was back when all three specs felt the same mechanically when you played it.

I believe you’re correct! Yes, now that I think about it, this was exactly the case. And Whim is right, Arcane was used for quick movement periods/quick fights where the Hunter knows he or she couldn’t and wouldn’t get an Aimed Shot off in time.

Thank you two for helping to jog my memory! :smiley:

Bepples said that.

So he did. Guess that goes to show I shouldn’t read and post on the forums literally 5 minutes after I wake up. :joy:

2 Likes

I know I already replied to this post but I want to add to this part. They got into this fervor of making everything spec-specific; it’s like at some point during WoD they got the impression that specs needed to be entirely separate and all their class design decisions of Legion are built on that. Traps being SV specific was meant to somehow make the entire class better because it made them more unique. The only thing crazier than that is the fact that I’ve seen multiple people across the WoW forums argue that traps should have remained specific to SV and getting them back in the other Hunter specs is an example of the ranged Hunters “stealing” from the melee spec and treading on it.

3 Likes