Survival Hunter wish list

If you coukd bring anything back from Legion for what would it be?

I would want Flanking Strike back as it was, rather than a talent that most probably wont take. Make it our big nuke, since the spec doesn’t revovle around Eagle’s Fury anymore.

Replace Tar Trap with Caltrops. To me, i got way more use from Caltrops than I did from Tar Trap. More than once did I manage to knock a rogue out of stealth, and a few times I was one of the rogues knocked out of stealth.

Duel Wielding would be pretty nice. Not a big thing, more than anything would be nice to feel like Rexxar than a discount warrior at times.

10 Likes

my wishlist:

1. remove melee things
  2. make ranged
38 Likes

I like it being a melee spec but… I don’t like its lack of identity beyond being a melee spec. It borrows from BM and shares with MM, and the only thing it has to show for it is Raptor/Mongoose Bite spam and throwing the occasional admittedly cool grenade, though even that’s only really interesting with Wildfire Infusion.

There’s two possible paths I’d like to see Survival go down. One being something similar to what it was in BFA Alpha, similar to FF14s Red Mage, where you constantly shift between being melee and ranged, changing skills and rotations as you harpoon in to melee and disengage back out to range.

Alternatively I’d like to see more use out of that hand crossbow you use for Serpent Sting. Either make it like a sort of gun-fu as you weave between shooting close by enemies with different ammunition and hitting them with your stick, or go back to being ranged but… go full D3 Demon Hunter dual wielding hand crossbows as a new weapon type, focusing on rapid shots with high mobility and kiting, and MAYBE usage of traps and turrets, though I’d rather that be a Tinker thing.

Any of these options would give Survival its own unique identity and playstyle. I really want the dual hand crossbows one the most, personally. Just make BM the melee spec, and give it dual wielding so BM hunters can go proper Rexxar. Current Survival already feels more BM than BM does, anyway.

5 Likes

I wish people would stop looking down on us and wanting a 3rd range. A lot of us really enjoy running into battle with our pets. Its time to get over it. Its a really fun class if you actually tried it.

42 Likes

An option to replace your pet with a different focus generator wouldn’t be terrible. The pet is cool, but it can be an annoying crutch at times.

8 Likes

I tried it on my other hunter and hated it. I really wish they made the melee spec a fourth spec and kept ranged SV. I don’t look down on anyone that plays it, but I am allowed to hate it.

12 Likes

I think it’s a well designed spec as is. With one major issue.

Great mixture of dps, utility, semi-ranged with a high skill cap.

My major complaint is the defensive is terrible compared to our arena counterparts. 3 Minute CD that you can’t attack during and doesn’t protect you from a huge range of things.

Especially noticeable in a meta which is biased towards self sustain.

3 Likes

It’s not that, it’s that there are those who have taken things to the point that those of us who enjoy melee are treated like we’re traitors. They also made a meme out of it. Had they not treated Melee like they have, the the call for Ranged SV would have been larger and more effective.

1 Like

Ignoring my melee biases for a second, I still don’t think there’s anything Legion Survival did better than BFA Survival.

Although Caltrops was pretty solid thematically so I do think that should make a return.

The problem is by being melee it will necessarily overlap with BM’s identity because a melee Hunter identity without a pet is thematically dead in the water; it would just be a knockoff Warrior at that point. What complicates things is in the past the melee spells of the spec were classified as Survival and that spec had the melee-buffing talents. It didn’t matter then because specs weren’t meant to be as strictly distinct and they all used both a ranged weapon and a pet anyway, but now SV needs pet aspects to be a valid Hunter spec which inherently makes it borrow BM’s identity.

The solution to that problem would be to make BM the melee spec, but that would enrage a lot of players; BM is one of the most popular ranged specs in the game and it would be a total mess if they took it away. A better but harder solution would be to make a Gladiator-style subspec of BM which swapped the ranged abilities for melee ones while providing a damage/survivability boost to compensate.

I don’t see any value in a forced hybrid spec. It’s just pointless busywork for the sake of being unique. It doesn’t add any value to the spec’s playstyle and identity.

People keep saying this but it just isn’t true. BM has far more pet interaction than SV does. The only thing SV has that BM doesn’t is Spirit Bond (which is pretty ridiculous considering it used to be a BM talent).

That enjoyment comes at the expense of people that used to play the ranged spec. That’s why people look down on you.

A Hunter missing both the ranged weapon and a pet wouldn’t be a Hunter at that point.

Completely baseless.

8 Likes

How would you know since you made sure that we knew that we were your enemies and we were not welcome in those discussions? I mean if you like we could go through your own post history on the subject to start.

1 Like

Yes! very valid response i def agree making it a fourth spec such as what druid deals with.

3 Likes

I knew you would come. You’re always there when we need you.

You honestly need to get a life. Ive been a long time lurker and youve always been a negative nancy. Surv back in vanilla was always the melee spec. You can make the argument bm would have been better suited for a melee class (which I agree) but you are in every thread being poison to the conversation. It does not matter what anyone says because what you say is right or enjoys how they play. There is obviously a population that enjoys being melee and running into battle with their pets…You suck.

10 Likes

How would you know that the call for ranged SV would have been larger?

That’s why I said that was baseless; because it is.

Do you actually have a real response to what was said?

I’m not obligated to be nice to Survival and the people who play it. And frankly, after how ranged SV Hunters have been treated, I’m not inclined to be nice to anyone about the issue. People who didn’t like SV being made melee when it was first announced were shouted down and buried in downvotes, mostly by people who didn’t play a Hunter and had no intention of picking one up. When I read posts like “I like playing it because it pisses off the angry Hunters” (yes, that is an actual, exact quote from a Survival Hunter), or when I see people post on the forums every other day about how they are news to the class from Rogue/Warrior/Paladin/DK and exclusively play SV and hope that they never make it ranged again, you can imagine what little regard I have for the spec and why I might interpret SV going melee as an attack on the Hunter playstyle.

Yes, I post as much as possible in SV discussions. That’s as much as I can do as one person to influence the discussion. I rarely ever posted about the class before Legion and I laughed off the requests to introduce melee to the class. I’m not letting my guard down again. People pushing melee Hunters need to be countered everywhere and I’ll happily bog them down in weeks of discussion and walls of text. I won’t try to hide it, and it’s not like it takes a significant amount of my own time.

Yeah, some people enjoy melee SV. A lot of people enjoyed ranged SV, and they matter too. If you want to run into battle with your pet, go play BM and do just that as BM can fight in melee range just fine; the weapon works from 0-40 yards, after all. Don’t demand that a spec gets its ability to DPS at ranged taken away from it just for your niche RP needs.

8 Likes

Because you would not have run off the one who were playing melee like you did. My offer still stands, we can go through your post history to show why it was that way.

Actually we can start posting up things of yours from back then and see if you like. I am quite serious.

Or, better yet, you could stop caring what other people play and just let each of their own have fun? Because not everyone is like that? I liked ranged SV. I like melee SV. I play melee SV because I want to play a pet class without the plate armor or the squishy cloth armor.

Until told otherwise, melee survival hunter is here to stay; and you may not like it, but you’re gonna have to just get used to it otherwise you’re coming off as a jerkwad to people for no reason other than “oh someone on the internet hurt my feelings over a spec.”

8 Likes

How do you have a rational debate with someone who essentially admits to going out of his way to be a dick to people who play Survival Hunter because he’s upset about it being changed?

Nobody is going to change your opinion, and you aren’t going to craft an argument that will enlighten enthusiasts of Melee SV into hating the spec. It’s just sport at this point and I find it comical.

6 Likes

I personally don’t care how much they have changed things. Ranged survival was just a smoother spec for pve.

Wish the melee changes had been to a fourth spec. Or made with beast mastery. As It is, this guy won’t see the light of day much anytime soon.

Started this guy at the end of bc. After SoO…I can’t get into the other specs really. I don’t enjoy clunky rotations or melee.

3 Likes

Please do not add melee to BM. Fourth spec is optimal, but I guess that’s only for Druids.

1 Like

I want flanking strike from legion back, it was unique and gave the flavor of attacking in concert with your pet.