Survival Hunter needs a redesign

Survival Hunter is supposed to be themed after a combination of Rexxar and Genndy Tartokovskys Primal series, so why did Blizzard give us “Wildfire Bombs” or just “Bombs” in general.
It’s thematically so immersion breaking and baffling as to why that was even a decision in the rework back in Legion.

11.0 Redesign inc.

12 Likes

It’s was the only ability that looked exciting from Legion’s version of SV. They based SV off the Rambo style of do whatever it takes to survive. I agree that BM would have been better as a melee spec, but Survival had some history with melee and that was reason for it.

They will keep WfB and add more range abilities and that all that will change with Survival. Blizzard pushed themselves into a corner and don’t know where to take Survival next.

8 Likes

Ya BM would have made more sense as melee but Survival sure isn’t hitting on that primal fantasy like it should.

7 Likes

Yes it should be reworked as a ranged spec since it’s meant to be resourceful and the ranged weapon is our most important resource.

17 Likes

Aye, I’m not going to disagree at all.

All I’m saying, is that a melee hunter actually makes sense, whether its by comparing to Rexxar or ancient humans hunting with spears, knives, and axes.

3 Likes

If BM was to have Barbed Shot, Cobra Shot, and Multi Shot switched out for Lacerate, Raptor Strike, Butchery that would express more of a primal Hunter. However, play-style wise players might find it lackluster.

I would enjoy it, but Blizzard’s class designers like to have classes look flashy. This is why I think WfB was left as it was the most thrilling ability to watch even if it is out of place for a class that about being close with nature.

Why redesign BM to use Lacerate, Raptor Strike, and Butchery when you have Survival as the melee hunter?

2 Likes

I don’t mind Melee Hunter but Good Lord I hate wildfire bomb so much. I would take another spear-related ability that can have a similar effect as Wilfire infusion. I also thought about the old Warcraft 3-night elf huntresses who used glaives.

6 Likes

Not a over haul like Survival. Just an alternative play-style that could be used with the talent tree.

BM could have the option to be ranged or melee.

… Primal came 3 years after the rework. Sorry that was bugging me.

1 Like

Coating your weapon in poisons and stuff for different effects would be neat, summoning a pit trap that spears enemies, throwing axes.

But yeah more Rambo/Arnold Schwarzenegger in Commando in the tool shed scene, less mad bomber.

1 Like

There is nothing more orcy or goblin esk than charging up to an enemy with your pet and throwing a bomb at him.

2 Likes

pls Blizz, give us an option for a dynamite-wrapped-around-stabbing-knife attack

1 Like

Same lmao. Legion and Survival rework was in development probably 5 years before Primal.

2 Likes

It doesn’t make sense in the context of an otherwise ranged class built around the central theme of use of ranged weapons.

Combining bombs with melee is nonsensical.

5 Likes

So is a city inhabited by aliens, aka orcs. This is a fantasy universe. What’s your point?

That’s not an excuse for nonsensically-themed specs.

Im still dream about going back to range survival. It is ridiculous that only 1 class / 2 specs in a fantasy MMORPG can use Bows/Crossbows/Guns. If the idea is to make the spec play different, do something like dual-hand crossbows and guns, I think be really cool. Have black arrow, explosive shot, multishot, and flayed shot as core abilities. Valla the demon hunter from Diablo 3 and Hots has the perfect example of gameplay. Defensively you can add caltrops, snake and fire traps, and vault (disengage).

4 Likes

Bomberman is awesome though.