Survival Hunter? An irony

All I wanted from SV was the ability to dual wield but looks like that won’t be happening

You can buff a spec to top damage, it does not mean that is good mechanically or enjoyable to play.

Shadow priest is a perfect example of this. They haven been competitive throughout all of BFA yet the spec was a pain to play so people complained about it.

Survival is not fine.

And the only reason is played in pvp is because BM was nerfed to the ground in pvp and MM is a joke in arenas

7 Likes

With corruption, it became apparent what the problem with the spec is… Focus. The resource regeneration is fine for a ranged class that spends seconds casting a shot or channeling multiple shots returning it, it’s even more than fine for the spec that gets to nearly afk their way to top dps from pet damage and a bleed, but the melee spec spending it nearly every GCD is constantly struggling to keep enough. They play like any other melee in terms of speed, but they just don’t have the resource gain needed to keep up.

Stacking vasts amount of %haste corruption makes them actually function. A simple survival only passive to increase Focus Regeneration would fix the spec, instead of having to blindly hope for a Kill Command reset, the most anti-climatically named ability they have. More like Nibble Command.

2 Likes

Personally I don’t mind survival bieng melee, but I’m not a big fan of its dependence on its pet still. Also the spec is a bit jank. Not as jank as Legion survival where you just literally didn’t have the resources to play the spec, but still jank none the less.

1 Like

It’s always one or the other as well, either starving for rage, or you got the Kill Command reset from bomb and are over capped on rage. There is no in between.

1 Like

Playing survival for five minutes people won’t notice this but I think the best way to describe how it feels to play survival after weeks of doing is

That we are fighting our own spec rather than enjoying it.

U got low focus? Get more haste
Oh but you have too much haste now? Guess what serpent sting is useless now.

Hey if you don’t take 2 stacks of kill command talent, then enjoy the multitude of wasted procs!

Talents don’t feel like options when most of them cannot be changed unless you want to play half a spec. We need at least a couple of talents to become baseline and for our passive focus to be buffed

4 Likes

Survival back in the day was fun, esp. in the 39th bracket. Proof of Activision not knowing what they are doing is seated in one little fact…HUNTERS DO NOT CARRY POLEARMS. As someone who traps and hunts with both guns and bow n arrows it makes me cry to log into my once proud 39th SH twink and glance at his Ginn-su sitting uselessly in the bank. Instead of a sword he carries a giant halberd. I have hunted with a machette strapped to my side but never a #$%^ polearm, glaive, pike, etc. That is the true irony of a telling story, that Blizz is so lazy with the gearing that they cannot even give a hunter something they would actually carry. BFA is the last xpac I will buy from Activision.

1 Like

Sounds good to me. I was worried they’d find some way to trash it, lol.
No news is good news.

balderdash, I’ll take SV with Butchery over BM or MM any day.

Ahhhhhh…so THATS what this rant was really about :wink:

It’s actually really good. The CC is nuts and the damage windows are nice. Could use an extra defensive. The utility is just amazing and BM is still probably better for 3’s I would say survival is the king of 2’s

Same here.
MM is like a ranged paladin…slow as molasses and hits like a cannon.
SV is fast pace madness with butchery…feels like Fury warrior with a pet.

BM…well its its own thing, lol

1 Like

“A base kit riddled with holes that force you to play a specific cookie cutter build to even make this thing somewhat work.”

Do you actually play SV? its actually quite diverse, latent poison aoe build, bombs aoe build, mongoose bite cooridinate assault build, and theres more nuance choice in the talents, WFI is very engaging, like…its more diverse in possibility then a lot of other specs, I really enjoy survival the way it plays currently,

The only request I have is to make sure it is competitive dps wise in the current content.

Your opinion is yours but you do not speak for all of us

2 Likes

Its the only DPS spec I play anymore.

1 Like

what? those 8 players in there incessantly whining about it while thousands of other SV hunter players ARENT in there complaining?
its not a problem when less than 1% are tossing a fit of whatever sort.

2 Likes

If you are gonna try to counter my argument at least try to say something intelligent instead of copy-pasting half of a sentence of my words to fit your imaginary narrative. I have never said I want current melee survival to be replaced or deleted.

Yes I do, and that is why I want its issues to be fixed. right now those builds you spoke of all exist because azerite, essences and corruption bandaid our spec into a working thing. All of those things are going to dissapear in shadowlands and hey, maybe the new systems will do the same and bandaid our issues but wouldnt you preffer if the core of the spec worked nicely without the need of borrowed power?

Glad that we agree on this, I never claimed I was the collective mind of all hunters given form, I am just me, I speak my own opinions because I can speak freely. I respect that you believe we have no issues. respect that I believe we do, and then we can have a polite conversation about it instead of pointing fingers at each other.

4 Likes

oddly its only those of you who love ranged that are complaining about MSV from what I see…and Im not supposed to think its related ? :slight_smile:
The spec needs to be its own thing and stop borrowing crap like Kill Command from BM…other than that its fine.

Again stop trying to put words into my mouth when I literally have shown that is not the case. If you are going to lie or troll, why don’t try harder?

Good that we agree on something, I do not want Melee Survival to disappear, But I want to be fixed and updated. Issues like the weird scaling on serpent sting, or having so many integral stuff to the spec being stuck as talents when they should be baseline, Thats what I want.

If Ranger Survival ever comes back, It should be as a fourth spec, it should NOT replace Melee survival because those who love it, deserve to keep what they enjoy.

2 Likes

lol. Just remove all the hunter abilities. That makes sense.

It should have been it’s own CLASS to begin with. There is room for a hybrid melee/range class (aka Ranger). They didn’t need to steal it from those who played so they could satisfy some urge to contribute to the game at the expense of those players.

Ranged Survival should have never been removed.

2 Likes

sorry…MM has Kill command? Oooooh thats right…it doesnt but its still a hunter spec :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

but it was. and here we are.
SV IS a hybrid spec if you take the Butchery talent…and I do. Best of both worlds.

Sad but true. The chances of Ranged Survival coming back are low to none so I won’t die on this hill.

I’m not asking for Ranged Survival to come back, I am asking for Melee Survival to get the sorely needed updates it needs, and I am also complaining that Survival is the only spec in the game that has yet to recieve even one update throughout alpha and beta.

1 Like

I honestly don’t know why more people don’t play it… I got mine to 120, got some Benthic gear and I think I managed to get a new weapon, and was killing things left and right no problem, easiest class to do the cloak quest and assaults so far. Survival Hunter pumps!

Oh, and I wasn’t using the meta build either, basically made a kill command build with what I had.

1 Like