Summon Water Elemental being removed

You’ve just reminded me. The water ele is also a huge boon for the frost mage mage tower challenge (what a terrible sentence). Being able to send the ele to the soak points is a godsend. Sucks to lose that.

3 Likes

someone mentioned mage tower earlier.

i hope this gets thorough testing on ptr.

the entire concept just feels really weird.

i’m wondering if the justification for removing the minion is as simple as “nobody uses it”, when raiders are all expected to use a cookie cutter spec with Lone Winter?

i feel like leveling is going to be more annoying now too.

4 Likes

o ya big oof

The pet was added with TBC as final Frost talent, and a glyph added in Wrath made it a permanent pet.

I know my frost mage has always used the permanent pet and will not be happy if yet another “permanent” ability gets shoved into a short lived cooldown.

4 Likes

Ah, so strictly speaking the water elemental has had a permanent option available for ~2 years longer than I expected

1 Like

I’ve made my claim over on the Mage forums briefly about this. I sincerely do not understand the backlash here. I’m also a Frost Mage, expansion through expansion.

Water Elemental isn’t a good choice to choose from, and it has been like that for a while now. Anyone who really chooses this over Lonely Winter, you’d be pegging your team. Other than RP purposes, you simply just do not choose this. I mean, I’d love the option of course, but when it comes to numbers, you’d never choose the elemental in its current iteration.

Also, it’s not like the elemental is going away. It will now be tied to Icy Veins, with it also getting buffed too.

1 Like

It’s just about the functionality loss.

I would like for you guys to have your water elemental buffed to a point where it is usable. However I see roleplayers upset that they don’t have the permanent elemental as an option anymore. I also see some niche situations getting mentioned where it’s useful (handling old raid mechanics, mage tower, etc).

The whole point of this thread is not to shoot down the hope of water elementals seeing use, but rather to nudge their use in a way that doesn’t change the access to a permanent version. Be that through a glyph or otherwise

Bro nobody uses this spell except for RPers & levelers who don’t realize it isn’t good. It’s going to see way more use being bundled in with ivy veins on cd.

Used to be a cd back in the day anyway…idk why people are coming out of the wood works randomly acting like this is a meta spell that sees high use lol.

I’ll be blunt . . . The perma water elemental is the only reason I even HAVE a frost mage right now. I RP her as a tidesage sure but also out of all my mages (I got 4 in total) she has the easiest time surviving (my arcane mages seem to have trouble at higher levels). Now I’m not sure if that’s because of the elemental or not but there’s a certainly level synchronicity there that helps out a lot that would honestly suck to loose.

6 Likes

Spoken like someone who didn’t even read my post lmfao

I straight up said that it’s not in a good state. I’m just asking for an alternative method of buffing it to be taken.

I am not saying “No, no, leave it as it is!” I’m saying, “No, leave it permanent but buff it to be useful”

People find the dumbest things to cry about here. This change doesn’t effect you in the slightest, nor does it effect people that play frost mages as no one has used the elemental in years. Yet here you are, making a big deal about it for no reason. The victim complex of some people is insane.

Just give frost mages some glyph that lets them have the ele out as a visual companion only and keep all the damage tied to icy veins cd.

The illusion of choice node that is Lonely Winter/Water Ele has always been bad.

1 Like

I seem to recall doing the frost mage tower challenge fine without it, but that was back in Legion. Don’t know about the current iteration.

Guess my mage will be going to fire… Not that surprise when the current team of this expansion is just one big failure… What did they send the whole diablo 3 team over to wow…

1 Like

They call people like this SJW’s.

Trying to champion a cause that isn’t even theirs.

This is blatantly a lie, and nothing else that you say can really be taken seriously after that point. Just a cursory reading of some of the posts in this very thread can affirm that you’re lying. There are also completely separate forum posts illustrating this.

I’m not a victim, nor have I proclaimed such.

It’s funny because my suspicion is that my general views would be unpalatable to actual SJWs (see my thread below). I just saw an issue that I didn’t approve of, saw that roleplayers were not happy about it, and weighed in. Simple as.

3 Likes

Honestly the Mage pet was just “dot” outside of another freeze option, it didnt taunt mobs off the mage or serve the same purpose as hunter or warlock pets.

I’ve always used lonely winter since it was an option. It can’t tank. It’s not all that useful. There were always better talents.

2 Likes

I’m not upset about the gameplay changes or anything cuz I barely play mage but I will miss having my little dude following me around

2 Likes

The actual issue with the lack of usage for Summon Water Elemental is the talent node its competing with on its choice node.

It’d see far more use if it was competing with a nearly mandatory 25% DPS increase talent.