Sulfuras and thunderfury

Sounds amazing, tell me more.

Oh so needs a bunch of gear with hit… and defense? or are we not defense capping?

Oh… so kinda squishy and missing like half their armor, but they are generating this threat through defensive stance right? I mean everyone knows that only defensive stance has a threat modifier right?

Oh, so not in defensive stance. So they take a nice fat 20% threat reduction and since none of those abilities have a bonus threat modifier, seems bad. The hits will be less often and not as hard… on the dude who is missing a ton of armor.

I’m confused, how is he holding threat exactly? He is using his built in threat reduction to… hold agro? Oh I get it, his epeen is just so large that the mobs need to help him carry it.

The fact that so many people are taking this serious kind of tells me everything I need to know about the average poster in this forum…

In raids they will use defensive stance ya dimwit. But mostly no shield except for certain parts.

Except you have them using tclap and WW, neither of which generates bonus threat and both of which cannot be used in defensive stance.

Shields provide up to one third of a toons total armor. So not using one is in the neighborhood of 10% less mitigation, not using a shield also removes the ability to block which lowers the effectiveness of defense and defensive gear.

In addition by increasing the number of attacks with dual wield you also increase both the miss rate and the chance to be parried which will increase, not decrease the number of attacks from the mobs.

None of this explains how the toon is holding agro though, the vast majority of warrior threat comes from bonus threat attached to single target attacks and not raw damage. If the toon is constantly shifting to zerker (which increases damage taken by a further 10%) to WW (which provides threat lower than damage) or Battle stance with tclap (which is like 100 damage at best) it means less and less time spent in the only stance that actually generates bonus threat. You have also not mentioned if it’s def capped, if it is that’s great… but without a shield you have zero ability to prevent crushes.

So yeah not really seeing it. You can feel free to post a video of it from vanilla since it sounds awesome. I should make a note that private servers do not count obviously, since absolutely zero percent of their back end mechanics are accurate.

1 Like

Just to be clear, Fury Tanks aren’t a thing, because of Parry being correct in Classic. They would parry haste the boss far too much to be survivable. With dual-wield, and parry at the correct values 10% higher than Private servers (aka 3x as much), if you want to tank, you’re sword and board.

2 Likes

There is basically no realistic scenario where you’re getting TF on a paladin. Sulfuras, on the other hand, should absolutely go to a paladin.

3 Likes

Sulfuras yes, TF? No way.

You say this, and yet multiple paladins had it during vanilla… because they off tanked in raids.

By the time AQ rolls out most guilds will have quit running MC with mains and started doing alt runs. If the paladin player is still off tanking in those raids they will often be given priority over an alt warrior. But again it’s all subjective and based on the guild. Some guilds remove the restriction after the MT has their bindings, others (like yours if you ran one) never would.

Paladins can/will again/did off tank in all content in classic wow. They will never be the most optimal boss tank, just like warriors will never be the most optimal AoE tank in classic. Sure they are both viable in both roles, neither is optimal in all situations… as it was designed.

I would again try to remind people that using any knowledge gained from private servers is inherently dangerous because so little of the content / mechanics are even remotely close to accurate. All those little inconsistencies add up to a vastly different outcome, drop the preconceptions and retest everything.

During vanilla fury was generally seen as a mediocre/sub-optimal spec, private servers claim it was always amazing and people simply lacked the gear and knowledge to make it work. Test it yourself, if it’s amazing that’s great. If not, prepare to adapt.

1 Like

Funny part about off tanking, paladins only lose Holy Shield while warriors lose a crap ton of rage. Interesting thing, that.

If you can survive at 5% parry, then you should still be able to survive at 14%. It’s not significant enough to prevent the concept from working.

The concern that people have is whether or not you would need to sacrifice a dps slot for an extra healer to compensate for the extra intake of damage.

With that in mind, I would guess fury would still be viable for some bosses.

Technically, if fury is less viable, feral becomes more valuable as a result. It’s an interesting tradeoff.

On the issue of tf on paladins, it’s just worse on a paladin than a warrior. It’s not a big deal.

I would think it’s a bigger problem to give it to a rogue since the extra threat from tf would probably force the rogue to throttle his dps to compensate causing a net loss in dps.

We’ll see I suppose.

That’s three times the parry hasting… Its hugely significant. Especially for a dual-wield.

LOL troll. Any guild worth anything will give TF to a loyal MT.

People are just missing the big picture with this. It really doesn’t change that much anyway.

Why do you want to be crit immune? its only a 5% chance. 15% chance to be hit by crushing blows. 14% minimum chance for a boss to drop the swing timer by up to 1.6 seconds. It’s a 28% minimum chance to drop it by up to 1 second. An unlucky string of blows will leave you dead and the raid a wipe because the off tanks can’t generate enough threat to keep up with the rest of the raid. In 5 seconds you could easily take enough damage to kill you that 2 healers can’t cover.

I believe parry haste is 40%, so 0.8 seconds.

Also, I’m pretty sure you aren’t doing any raid content with only 2 healers.

Plus, it’s encounter dependent. Some encounters, fury is fine for. Some encounters, he would be more likely to put on defense gear.

Again, this really isn’t new. It just doesn’t change that much.

6 Warriors in my guild past on Sulfuras, none of us wanted it so it went to the pallys to fight over, on the other hand we got 3 tfs in our guild me and another warrior got one and the 3rd went to a rog, the rng on our tfs was 6mths, Sulfuras on 3rd rag kill

Because we all know no other classes need Innervate and they can waste them all on the paladins :wink:

Remember that the boss will have attack speed debuffs on.

Of course not, considering the Pserver meta is only 1 druid per raid. They seem to be doing just fine.