Suggestions on computer build

Hi folks! I am looking for suggestions on the best bang for the buck. I am NOT looking to build enthusiastically. All I am seeking to do is to build within the “recommended” specs for Dragonflight or a little more. I am wanting to keep the budget $1000 or less (preffered). Anything would be better than what I am currently playing on. I have some ideas. I am leaning AMD over Intel. What do you think? Thanks,

i would try to extend thar budget to get at least 16gb of ram and either a nvidia 3070/radeon 6600xt and up

1 Like

First you should figure out what video card you get first and build the system around that. Personally I wouldn’t get anything less than a 3060 or 3060 TI ($399 - $499), but that’s me. 2070’s are available, but for what you’re saving they aren’t worth it.

Do you plan on recycling any parts of your current system? It sounds like it’s older but if you can carry over SSD’s, PSU or a case it’ll leave you more wiggle room as to get you under budget.

Ryzen 5600 CPU’s are about 199, and you can grab a MB from about 100-200 depending on what features you want. So if you go with a Ryzen 5600, a Budget 550 MB, a 3060 GPU, and 16GB of non-RGB memory that’ll give you about $250 or so for PSU, Case and SSD’s.

Wouldn’t getting that right now mean that when those new variations come out you wont’ be able to upgrade?

I am looking forward to the next gen ryzen 5600. I run wow at almost 60 fps everywhere except in high graphics areas and population with this and no video card at all.

Having said that will be wanting to upgrade at some point just don’t want to bottleneck myself.

Thanks

Yes if op needs a system now then getting Am4 or 12th Gen intel are their options.

If you have time to wait and don’t mind being an early adopter then waiting for the newer amd products to drop is something to consider.

For you…
Your upgrade path for a 5600g Is limited to the 5700x or higher. Assuming you’re using the 5600g since you mention no gpu.
5800x3d if you just want gaming performance for Am4

Am4 is essentially reaching end of life. Still great products nonetheless.

Good luck.

You’re not going to get much for that kind of money.

If you can spare an extra 500, you might find yourself in a better range.

I support this move. AMD has always been a little better CPU, IMO.

Edit: This is a good website to help you virtual build a PC and get a general idea of the current prices:

https://pcpartpicker.com/

Thanks - I won’t upgrade until the new stuff as you said simply because for what I do, it’s fine for now.

Appreciate the insight!

I keep hearing that the next gen of GPU’s are going to take a massive PSU to run. The PSU running my 5800 and 3080 is the same one that could have ran my old 980 GPU 7 years ago.

I think the next generation is going to be a major cash grab with the DDR5, new chipsets, and huge GPU power supplies. I’m skipping that Gen til DDR5 prices become sane.

True, will the DDR5 be mandatory? I guess so eh lol.

FYI as well, if you figure out what parts you need, see if you can do a “build your pc” where it ships to you premade. Sometimes it’s cheaper than buying all the parts and putting it together yourself.

Or, if you find a pc with like, everything you want except a larger hard drive, you can do that too. I got my PC for 1k and it’s 2k in parts XD

To clarify: when I say the above, the cost of the PC cost me 1k. The value of the parts is worth about 2k.

In a year or so when the DDR5 prices come down the new power supplies needed for the bigger graphics cards are going to be nuts. I’m hearing 400+ Watts with an all new power connector. Expect a massive jump from $100 PSU’s today to double plus a shortage.

I say buy now, enjoy the lowest PC prices in 2 years, and skip the next Gen unless you are willing to spend $2500 on all new cutting edge components.

Appreciate the help after I move will look into upgrading my 5600g (no GPU). What would your recommend specifically in Canada atm that’s the best value for the buck? I only play WC and sea of thieves sometimes so honestly I don’t need much haha.

I might have to upgrade my case since it’s a 3 liter mini one but don’t want to blow too much on a GPU but it would be nice.

holdup… Changes is OP/Amorias?

Anyhow, if you are running a 5600g, your system is not that old. I would get a good graphics card so you don’t have to upgrade that when the time comes to upgrade everything else.

I’m running a 2700 non x with 16 gb 3200 ram and a radeon 6600xt on a 34 inch ultrawide (2560x1080 tho). WoW on 10 setting with max raytracing. 45-50 fps on raids and 60 open world with vsync enabled. This game is ez on the system, but it really shines with a beast of a machine.

Nope not him. Just looking for similar advice/thoughts.

Appreciate your input.

ah gotcha…

if you don’t mind used hardware, ebay has some cheaper ones since the crypto crash. gpu prices has come down a lot since that, even the new ones are priced well compared to what it was a few months back. i wouldn’t go lower than a 6600xt or a 3070.

oh, also having the OS/virtual memory on an NVME SSD drive works wonders.

Great will look at it. Need to perhaps get a bigger case since this one won’t have room for any more fans or even a more than one fan GPU haha. I guess I can just swap it out to a bit bit bigger mini-atx case.

Thanks!

If you already have an AMD 5600 just get a bigger case and plop your new system in there. As long as it’s not a proprietary pre-built it’ll be cake. I wouldn’t upgrade a 5600 because any CPU upgrade won’t even be noticed.

IMO if your budget is still $1000, just buy a bigger case, throw the new system in there and deck it out with a 3070 and faster SSD’s.

Thanks Yin :slight_smile:

I already have the NVME in there atm. The system actually for wow runs like a dream really for a year now.

Will try to find a case and a GPU and I think I should be good!

Any suggestions for a monitor 27/34? I will relocate across the ocean this one is 7 years old so I will just get a new one instead of having the hassle of transporting it with me. I think I will want a 1440p to keep future proofed a bit with freesynch.

PS - Which 3070 should I look at and approximate price range? As you said I might go used but not sure how much it would be around in Canada, don’t want to get ripped off…

Thanks

i say get an ultrawide monitor. the extra view is pretty awesome.

also just looked at the price of 3070… even on ebay it’s around 500-600ish USD used. if that’s too much you can probably drop down to a 3060 and be fine at 1440

Nice if I get an UW can I still use it as a TV sometimes ?