Suggestions for making rp servers unique

I was just thinking that on ESO, the devs listen to the rp community and implement a lot of roleplaying tools for the players there. Those players are actually respected as they’re the ones who know the lore the best and tend to stay with the game longer as they have more invested.

Blizzard typically doesn’t have the same response to rp servers, from what I’ve seen. I feel like there’s a ton that could enhance our roleplaying experiences. Does anyone have any suggestions?

My suggestions:
-Allow everyone to speak Common. It’s a common misconception (no pun intended) that Common is a human language. Yes, it is the human primary language, but it isn’t their language. There are examples in lore of people speaking Common without any connection to humans. Why not just get rid of the potion and allow everyone access to the universal language? I feel like this would add more immersion to the game.
-If the faction war is over, allow visitors from the other faction to other cities. This can be achieved by going up to a booth somewhere and getting a visitor token, which disabled war mode and pvp for you and makes you yellow instead of red. I suspect there would be a lot more faction neutral characters at this point. I personally like the idea of being able to choose your own path and not be tied into your faction based on race. ESO did it successfully. I think the race war thing in WoW has grown stagnant, would like to see this big change.

9 Likes

I would like the ability to learn a language of other races. It could for example be a reward for getting exalted with a race.

12 Likes

I love that idea, I think they had that in Everquest. You could actually faction change too.

2 Likes

and this is why we won’t be seeing any improvement here

5 Likes

I mean, with that attitude, nothing will ever change. You have to make requests and suggestions. Have you ever made a suggestion that got fixed/implemented in the game?

4 Likes

Noah Fence but we’ve been asking for stuff since vanilla and have never gotten it. The closest thing we get to campsites are longer fires you can choose location and roll a vulpera to make camp on mismatched run and cool downs

Blizzard doesn’t care about 10% of its dwindling player base because they know we are committed and loyal and will stick around even if they openly say rpers are nerds. And even if we don’t, we’re only a small percentage of players that give them money

4 Likes

This is putting too much faith in Blizzard. Also

This remark seems unnecessary. Don’t you think people have already tried that?

2 Likes

people have been trying this for 15 years

4 Likes

What exactly have you/they tried? All I see is vague replies here.

Okay blizzard employee

3 Likes

We also got that dwarf tavern in IF.

Small victories?

But yeah, the majority of concessions we’ve gotten from Blizz have been relatively recent and not too much in the way of being useful. We got a few things but for every Elixir of Tongues, there’s another toy able to be spammed at RP’ers.

1 Like

Making suggestions. My phone has issues when I’m trying to edit my posts.

Don’t you think people have been making suggestions to Blizzard for years by now? To the point of even outright begging on occasion? The notion of making suggestions to the company is not a new, unique thought and chiding people for not doing it isn’t terribly useful.

1 Like

Elixir of Tongues is such a cop out though. Instead of immersive dedication to learning languages through faction-reputation or quest lines to earn books on language we get magical potion that makes us Pocahontas understand each other for 1 hour.

1 Like

While I think roleplayers especially the ones on this forum are a bit jaded and caloused with disappointment to the point where negativity and skepticism and cynicism are the default attitude, I think it’s for a reason. If you’re not there yet, please fight and ask for us. Come back in 10 years when you’ve -

Actually, with the new customizations coming in Shadowlands I am more inclined to believe Blizzard may actually care, but only if it’s a means to regain or retain subscriptions after years long declines.

5 Likes

Nobody forced you to reply to this forum? You’re being negative, so if you have nothing to add to the conversation, you can simply not reply. I don’t really understand the concept of being contrarian against someone who wants to improve roleplaying in WoW, honestly. I wasn’t bringing this stuff up thinking that suggestions were a novel idea, I wanted to post about this as suggestions actually do get implemented in the game on occasion. I believe you have to go about it the right way.

To give you an anecdote, I personally suggested they fix Sin’dorei female eyes (they were looking in different directions), and they did. It took a while, but they did. There’s just a disconnect between your suggestions and if they’re actually getting implemented. You have no way of knowing until it appears one day.

4 Likes

I feel like the Elixir of Tongues only happened because of the Cross RP addon. I think the GMs care about the RP community, but that’s the extent of it. Blizz just doesn’t seem to really acknowledge us much. I think the biggest boon we’ve been given is the reflecting prism, which I get lots of use out of.

3 Likes

I think if you think your suggestion and your suggestion alone was the cause of a change there might be a bigger problem than a difference of attitude on the matter.

3 Likes

I figured someone would say something like that, but here is my evidence:

Mar 2019, made the second post about it. Got a lot of traction from people, a lot of responses on the forums. Also posted it in the in-game suggestion box many many times (I may have made a ticket for it as well because it pissed me off so bad). A couple months after that, their eyes were more correctly centered. You can go through the thread and see for yourself, I made comparisons to Marty Feldman in Young Frankenstein. Not trying to brag about this, just telling you, you can make stuff happen. It’s all about banding together and making your voice heard.

1 Like

Sounds like you are bragging. I thought you were talking about the new customizations though, not something wrong and probably
Unintended for whoever implemented it and didn’t notice. Fixing bugs or mistakes is pretty common, especially when someone brings it up. At least more common than others.

Clipping and transmog fails are still in game even when people beg and ask for them to fix it, maybe it’s capability or maybe it’s indifference, but it doesn’t happen.

I thought we were talking about cosmetic or world changes that help to immerse rpers in the world like player housing. You’re talking about something different

1 Like

My original post was about making rp suggestions.

Also, the blood elf female eyes were incorrect for years. The gold flashlight eyes just highlighted how bad it was. Transmog clipping is a little tricky, as they are so many outfits and races. I think for that it’s just a matter of logistics. They don’t have enough people to fix every single cosmetic issue in the game.

Sadly, I don’t think player housing is a feasible suggestion yet. That would be a lot of work on Blizzard’s part, and since it single-handedly won’t keep a playerbase around, unlikely to be implemented for several more years to come.

I don’t see why Blizz can’t give us a prism with indefinite duration on an rp server, and also give everyone Common as we see every single cinematic npc speaking. That wouldn’t require as much work as implementing a language learning system.

2 Likes