Suggestion: “Journey”/“Hard”/“Hardcore” Leveling Modes

They do a Diablo style hardcore mode where death is permanent….

I have notes for questing!

Options:

a) Easy Mode: scaled progression (everything scales to character’s level)/low danger

b) Challenging Mode: in-zone progression (each zone starts out challenging and then, with gained xp and gear, gets easier)/medium danger

c) Hard Mode: in-zone progression (each zone starts hard and then, with gained xp and gear, gets easier)/high danger (cata expansion difficulty)

Add experience options for open world content:

a) Explorer- original xp for each expansion (for those that want to experience the content)

b) Defender- xp for lvl 10 to lvl 50 is divided up per expansion (for those that want to experience an expansion in full)

c) Conqueror- present quick system or 20 hrs of questing (for those who want to barrel thru to endgame)

Note: everything, the difficulty, the rewards, the purchase option levels are tied to the individual character’s experience and gear level

1 Like

This would be neat too!

Don’t forget to only kill low level boars for that 1xp experience.

Bump, still think this would be a good addition

Here’s the problem; you want it mandatory after saying ‘optional.’ If you want to quest 4x as long, I support a mode existing letting you–but I have no interest in it. There’s a reason I don’t play Classic.

My perma Vanilla server is home to HC…which I think stands for “Hardmode Challenge”…not entirely sure. IK they can’t be buffed and as “dead” as my perma Vanilla Classic server is, the “no grouping” rule should be easy to follow LOL

But, I think HC can group with each other, still. I’ve seen a couple of them doing it.

I think the challenge is easier to abide by all the rules on my perma Vanilla Classic server lol

LOL!!! /10 char.

You have Wow hard mode options. Go play Classic.

Or if you really want a challenge, go play EQ, though its easier now than it used to be. You still have to divide your experience gains between AA points and Exp points. Thus slowing your leveling WAY down to get the Good AA points.

Ok but I want to play retail not classic, as in retail class designs and zones

Where did I say mandatory Doors? I said as an option for people who may want to “smell the roses” while leveling on retail.

1 Like

Actually my bad, I thought you specified mandatory. Was half asleep still(and naked to help complete the picture). Lol

1 Like

You can turn off your xp at any time and do so for as long as you want.

Take off your gear or even only use low level gear if you wanna transmog still.

Delete your characters (or simply stop logging onto them if you wanna keep em for posterity) if/when they die.

Yes! After playing classic again, i realized how much i enjoyed getting my butt kicked doing regular basic quests outside in the world. It made it so much more of a challenge but a lot more rewarding. I try to play retail and level new toons but everything is so easy, whether i have heirlooms on or not, greens on or grey items. We should definitely have some sort of toggle option.

& for those saying “go play classic” it would be nice to play NEW content with the same type of old school gameplay. Classic is amazing but to have that gameplay with the experience of new zones and areas and quests you’ve never done before is completely different.

1 Like

EQ had a solution for this. You could “turn off” XP. Guess you could petition Wow to offer an XP toggle so you can turn off XP for a while so it takes longer to level.

You’ve been able to turn off XP in WoW since Wrath.

I learned that lesson in Diablo: It’s a neat idea IF it has nothing to do with an internet connection.

As soon as you involve an internet connection, “hardcore” is a stupid idea. Hard pass.

1 Like

Well problem solved then. If someone wants to level slower, they can just turn off XP for a bit.

I remember, years ago, reading about a “realistic” MMORPG. Not only did it have permadeath, but it also had no /whispers or chat channels, the only way to talk to another player was to be right next to them, and anyone nearby could also hear.

I don’t think it ever actually got published. :laughing:

1 Like

Nope! If i want to zero out, i would go to planet Doom, and play in a death match!!

All these things would make the game… Not this game. You can’t really modify open world gameplay for an MMO like that.

An instanced scenario/area you could.