Subscription Tax

Has anyone else seen a subscription tax added to their account? I live in Ohio and first time I’ve seen this.

7 Likes

Call, write, and email your state’s legislators about it, specifically those in your local area.

17 Likes

All internet sales now require sales tax regardless of location of buyer and seller.

In other states w/ a more left leaning ideology they have begun extending “entertainment taxes” to streaming services and internet gaming. California and Illinois are two I definitely remember reading about a few weeks back in the news.

18 Likes

It was because a law was passed last year that allowed states to charge sales tax for internet purchases. It the way of the on line world now.

3 Likes

Here is the email Sony is sending out:

Taxes in the U.S. are subject to change by state, county, and city taxing authorities. In order to comply with rules relating to the City of Chicago Amusement Tax, beginning November 14, 2018, PlayStation Store will start collecting amusement tax on receipts from PlayStation Vue (and other PlayStation services) from customers with a billing address within the City of Chicago. The City of Chicago’s amusement tax rate is currently 9%.

Thank you,
PlayStation

Dear Local Representative:

I am a resident of X county, in Y state. Currently I pay Z% as “entertainment tax”.

I bought Battle for Azeroth, however, I am not entertained. Could you please help?

/vr

Voting Citizen

21 Likes

It wasn’t a law that passed recently, it was the SCOTUS ruling on Wayfair vs South Dakota. What that ruling did is effectively makes online sales the same as brick and mortar store sales. All are now subject to state and local jurisdictions tax laws.

8 Likes

Wait, at the federal or state level? I remember it being dependent only on the state.

I already had to pay taxes on this game. So ehh…

The Feds cleared the way forthe states to collect taxes. If I remember correctly it was sometime in August or September that they ruled on it.

It used to be if you lived in Florida and bought something from Some company in New Hampshire they weren’t required to collect sales tax unless they had a physical presence on Florida.

Traditional retailers as well as heavy tax states cried and complained and the law was changed.

The tax is based on your locality but justification for it being enforceable on businesses outside your locality is at the federal level.

1 Like

I used to live in one of those. Always seemed like more taxes equaled less services. Not that most low tax states are in good shape either.

2 Likes

On June 21, 2018, the United States Supreme Court changed the rules for collection of sales tax by Internet-based retailers.

In its decision in South Dakota v. Wayfair Inc. the Court said that individual states can require online sellers to collect state sales tax on their sales. The ruling overturned the Court’s 1992 decision in Quill Corporation v. North Dakota. The Quill case prohibited states from requiring a business to collect sales tax unless the business had a physical presence in the state.

The majority opinion was written by Kennedy and joined by Thomas, Alito, Ginsburg, and Gorsuch.

Chief Justice John Roberts wrote the dissenting opinion, joined by Justices Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor, and Elena Kagan.

https://imgur.com/a/yXJuatm
If you live in the US, the link above will show you the current average rate in your state.

(an average because in many states the rate varies depending on your county or municipality).

6 Likes

Remember when we went to war over taxes? Those were the days.

19 Likes

I live in Argentina, Buenos Aires.
I have a sub tax of 21%
TWENTY ONE.
And somehow my country’s debt keeps rising.
I WONDER WHERE ALL THE MONEY IS GOING, HMMMMMM

15 Likes

This is a state legislation issue. They want their cut of your digital service. You will notice it for things like realm transfers as well.

If you want to see a change to it, you need to speak with your state ballot

3 Likes

I’m from Ohio too and it looks like something changed for us on the 1st. I couldn’t find anything about it online. Last article I found was from 2013 but I admit I didn’t look that hard.

Taxation is theft.
US friends, don’t let the goverment get you like my goverment screwed me and my fellow countrypeeps.
We have 66% hidden tax on our salaries + another 10-20% extra tax if you earn over 850 dollars/month. Everything we buy has another 21% tax plus a random tax which is different per item which in some cases is over 100% of the product’s price, mainly on basic stuff like drinks and foods.
And despite this Argentina’s debt is still rising.
Tax money goes nowhere back to the people, don’t let them get you please.

14 Likes

This is just the implementation of the supreme court ruling that allows states to collect sales and online services taxes.

CNBC article that explains what happened: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/21/heres-what-that-supreme-court-sales-tax-decision-means-for-you.html

1 Like

I know what you mean but if I am going to drive on a pothole ridden road everyday I would rather pay less for it.

The amont of taxes some states collect those roads should be paved in gold or at the very least some high quality silver.

8 Likes

Does this have something to do with that cancer Ajit Pieface guy and his net neutrality bull crap the republicans kept pushing?

1 Like