Strange video artifacts in 8.1.5

I stand corrected I’m having more serious graphical issues since the last client update a 2-3 nights ago whenever it was :confused: Got through a battleground and loaded into Boralus and everything exploded with color inversions and flashing and all kinds of craziness… Sometimes I get some play in before it happens sometimes is shortly after loading in.

Filing a bug report in game was quite a challenge. I didn’t see the option to include screenshot like I thought it used to - maybe I missed it with all the rapid flashing of screen though. Eyes bleeding.

It is not an overheat issue.

1 Like

Oh I did check temps while it was being broken and even had the fans setup to run faster than it ever seems to for WoW so yeah not a heat issue for me either

So just an update on my end after a couple of tests. I found a driver on hackintosh for my card and gave it a go and weird artifacts / glitches were gone (except in grass). It was quite stable until after an hour when it crashed hard. I then proceeded to wipe my machine, put on boot camp with Win10 and then load Wow straight away (took me ages). I installed the correct drivers and loaded up the game. I noted I was using directx11 in settings and turned down all the gfx. Was working fine until I froze and crashed in the first 5 minutes with the same glitches on screen. I think I’ve exhausted every idea without costing money

Just came back after a bit of a break. Was playing in Beta and saw the really bad graphical glitches and saw them mostly resolved in live…got a toon to 120 and sorta lost that lovin’ feelin’.

Started back Horde side to play with friends. Hadn’t really done much horde side. Am enjoying the questing, but came to this forum to do my daily check on the Nvidia driver thread and then to look up any graphical glitching issues since I’m seeing flickering ground clutter. I have to pay attention to this as I have an idiopathic seizure disorder.

My Mac
Mac Pro 5,1
3.46GHz 6 core
32GB 1333MHz DDR3
500GB Samsung 850 SSD on a PCIe card
Nvidia GTX 1080
Mac OS 10.13.6

I used to play at 10 with FR above 60, but have downgraded the settings to 7 and simply extended the view out to 10. I will turn everything up to 10 to see if that changes anything because I don’t recall having these issues before the break and I haven’t changed anything or added any addons.

Edit: I switched it to 10 and the only issues I saw were on the minimap. I’m in Zuldazar and haven’t seen any issues at either 7 or 10. The issues I saw were all in Nazmir. Come to think of it, I don’t recall seeing anything of note in Voldun, either. Maybe the odd side of building flicker…maybe. So for me, it looks like it’s only Nazmir. I’ll have to hop on my Ally toon and head out to Stormsong Valley and see if there are any issues there.

Maybe it’s a particular ground texture in Nazmir? More updates to follow.

I have the same issue. It’s random. I’ll see the artifacts with the grass flickering, the artifacts on the maps, VERY SLOW FPS, like 1-2 and I have to exit wow and restart it. This is ridiculous! I didn’t have the issue before 8.1.5, everything was fine! So whatever it is, I hope that Blizzard can do whatever they need to so that we can play the game again, without issues.

I contacted Apple and they don’t see a single thing about World of Warcraft not working on Mojave… So Bizzard, please step you your game and do whatever you need to!! Please and thank you!

BTW… I have a Mac with a Nvidia card, which is the issue, from what I hear.

There is no Nvidia driver for Mojave… so that’d mean you were using Apple’s driver which isn’t a good idea. The best setup for Macs with Nvidia cards is 10.13.6 at the moment while we all hope cooler heads prevail and finally put the customer first.

So this has been happening more. I’m not sure it’s any better than crashing since I end up having to exit / force quite wow to get it to work again.

https://imgur.com/l4mKlY2

Edit: It may be worth noting that sometime if I can look in some other direction it will be fine, but then turning back around (usually the direction I wanted to travel) it just does this again / still.

Hey all,

Thank you all so much for continued correspondence. So far it looks like the reports are primarily from Nvidia GTX 7**m users. I did still add the other affected GPU to my tracking for the issue but noticed the trending reports being from those specific cards.

Since this is happening on so many different OS builds I did want to help get a bit of extra digging done on this. Please email us the following:

To: Techinfo@blizzard.com
Subject: Strange video artifacts in 8.1.5 (Mac)

Attach an SPX file.
Attach a screenshot of the graphical error.

This inbox is not monitored and will not send responses. It’s used to collect information for Customer Support to assist in troubleshooting.

Thanks again for following up on this. As soon as I have more information I will update this thread.

Just to clarify. I assume you want screenshot(s) of the kind of issues we’re seeing?

Hi there Eklecras.

That was a very valid question and you are right. We want a screenshot of the graphical problem you see. :slight_smile: I updated the above post to reflect that.

/Nathardrick

Hello Blizzard-Team,

I’m EU-User from Germany and have the same graphical issues with my iMac with NVIDIA GTX 7xx GPU.

I’ve sent the requested information (SPX, Screenshots) to you as well.

I am also having this issue. It seems the the grass/flowers/etc flicker in some zones. I also get artifacts on the Map. The frame rate will also sometimes drop to 1 or 2 fps and I have to quit Wow and restart. Sometimes I get crazy bright colors when things get really crazy. I have a Late 2013 iMac with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4 GB. I’ll send a screen shot over to you guys when I can.

Just for the record, this happens on Maxwell and Pascal series nVidia cards as well on the Mac Pro (and I’m assuming eGPU’s). However, solving it for the 700 series will probably solve it for the others as well.

The link for the SPX file is for Windows. Since this is a Mac only issue, what files would you need? Help! :slight_smile:

There’s a button to click for Mac vs Windows - it’s non obvious tab design. Short answer is go to Apple menu / About this Mac. Then click System Report. Then do file save.

Just got around to pulling media together and sending. I had a short recording of my disco effect and included it as well after downsampling it. Hope it helps!

This is also happening to me I sent my information, I’m just waiting to be notified if/when there’s a fix!

This is EXACTLY my issue as well. I was wrong initially thinking that turning effects up to 10 would solve it. It did not. As well, turning the ground effects to 1 did not solve it, either.

As I have a seizure disorder, it’s pretty important for this to get fixed sooner rather than later… and not Blizzard Soon ™… love ya, Blizz =)

So that folks don’t have to hunt for my sys config

My Mac

Hi Kaldraydis,

Any updates at all yet? Would love to know if Blizzard has at least found the issue and what’s going on. This 1FPS and Graphical Issue is horrible and making most of us crazy!!! HELP!!!