Strange video artifacts in 8.1.5

Hey all,

Thanks for the continued reports! I’m sending all this up the chain since the SPX I’ve received so far do not appear to have any common issues going on. Quality Assurance has been made aware of the issues.

I do not have any details on the investigation so far, but if I get an update on it I will definitely post here.

Thank you all for your patience and continued correspondence.

Hi,

I was having the same issue with flickering. I downloaded the NVIDIA CUDA 418.105 FOR MACOS RELEASE drivers and it seems to have fix it.

Mac Os 10.14.4
iMac late 2013
3.5GHz i7
32GB
GTX 780M

Cheers,
A.

Placebo. you’ll see problems again. Cuda driver would literally do nothing for wow

I’m also having the flickering ground clutter issue. I’m on a “non-standard” Mac with a Sandy Bridge chipset and a 1070ti GPU. Running High Sierra and the latest web drivers.

Edit - this is easily reproducible for me in the Arathi battlefront, with the grass constantly flickering in and out of existence.

1 Like

Hey,

Four days and still no sign of the issue. Maybe this was the solution for me but installing the latest CUDA drivers seems to have done the trick.

Cheers,
A.

I’ve had cuda installed for years. including latest.

the issue is just random. i think that’s purely coincidence it hasn’t acted up yet. it will though. give it time

Oh jeez, glad I am not the only one having this problem. The grass thing is really annoying in the BFA zones. I’ve turned ground density down to 1 for now and it … helps. Still pretty annoying though.

Using an Nvidia 980 on High Sierra 10.13.16

1 Like

Are there any solutions to this yet? The whole game went “green” last night while in Boralus. Dailies are irritating because of the constant weird artifacts.

The only thing that has fixed it for me is to switch from Windowed to Full screen of vice versa. That will work until I go into a different zone.

Mac: 27" Late 2013, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4 GB, 10.14.4

Any updates? I know we’re blaming a driver here, but this didn’t happen until 8.1.5. It worked completely fine under Mojave in WOW 8.1. So what changed in 8.1.5 that broke the game so badly? Was it adding in older versions of Direct X? Something broke it. Please find out, this is crazy!

3 Likes

Also still waiting to hear back. The technicolor ground was cool for a bit, but I kind of miss playing without these issues.

I really hope there is a fix soon, because it’s becoming very frustrating to even do dailies much less try to raid. Flashing ground effects that sometimes freeze the program, bizarre visual things happening when you bring up maps, bizarre ground colors, skybox problems, etc. We need a solution from somewhere, otherwise I’m going to have to stop playing, and I won’t continue paying for something I’m not playing due to graphical errors.

Hey, same problems as everyone has mentioned before, I can’t open maps without an artifacty, disco-strobe-light effect half the time, and can only point my camera at the ground. The issues have started a few months ago with just the artifact issues, and have been worsening and increasing in frequency over the past few days.

On a flight path leaving Boralus I witness a rock suddenly have its texture stretch out over the entire skyline.

I won’t be playing like this unfortunately.

iMac 21.5-inch late 2013
2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Macintosh HD
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1 GB

I’ve taken a bad phone capture of a few incidents if they would help, just let me know where to send them. Thanks for working on this, guys.

Hey all,

This is still on our radar, just to keep you in the loop. At the moment we’ve sent it to our engineers and are just waiting for more information on the nature of the issue or what it’s going to take to fix it.

1 Like

This issue is now fixed on 10.13.6 by installing latest nvidia web driver
https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/387/WebDriver-387.10.10.10.40.127.pkg

as for 10.14.x, there is no web driver for it, but it’s likely whatever was broken in nvidia driver, they shared with apple and it’ll be up to apple when/if they merge fix into the 10.14.x stock drivers. the 10.13.x stock drivers will likely never be fixed so if you’re on 10.13.x and NOT using web driver, time to switch to grab these bug fixes.

DO NOT try to use this driver if you are on 10.14.x, it won’t work, and may create problems.

2 Likes

This is good news. Any idea as to the nature of the bug and if it affects 10.12.6? (I’m assuming it does not affect 10.12.6, but any info would be appreciated)

I doubt it affects 10.12.6, that’s just affected by garbage collect performance issue, which blizzard does a very good job working around to mitigate it for end users (although 10.13.6 would still probably run better)

Yup, artifacts gone (except the ripple that’s always been on High Sierra) and more importantly no spontaneous crashes. My thanks to the folks at nVidia for fixing this.

So this problem is still not fixed for those of us using OS 10.4.4 ?

Correct, 10.14.x users will have to wait for apple to patch same bug in their fork of nvidia driver. which will likely take months, if it ever happens at all. Nvidia shares bug fixes with apple, but it’s up to apple to merge them into their own version of driver, and then you have to wait for next major macOS update because they don’t just do driver updates like that. They get batched into next major release. Since 10.14.5 is almost done it’s not likely to slide into that. They’ll probably merge it into 10.14.6 at earliest. and if it doesn’t make it into 10.14.6, then it probably won’t be fixed until 10.15 because they are unlikely to have a 10.14.7 since that’s just how their cycles work now.

As for hope of a web driver directly from nvidia for 10.14.x, that’s also on apple and nvidia working out their little squabble.

How can we help lobby NVidia and/or Apple to get this issue some traction? Seems crazy that this hasn’t been resolved yet