Strange video artifacts in 8.1.5

I have seen strange video issues in the Mariner’s Strand cave of Stormsong Valley. There is irritating strobing until it locks on an obviously unintended static, gold, pattern. I am on an iMac Pro with a Radeon Vega 64. These did not occur in 8.0, or 8.1, but now occur in 8.1.5.

I have taken a few screenshots. Video might also be helpful.

1 Like

I have seen flickering “ground clutter” when my camera is angled towards a specific direction in Nazmir. I also have strange artifacts in Maps, but zooming in and out seems to fix it temporarily.

2 Likes

Same issue for me, also in Warsong Gulch. I’m also getting a glitch when I’m coming out of the Great Seal doorway where the right half of my screen flickers black and the mountains to the left and right also turn black. After I get out of the doorway it’s fine. Tried adjusting everything.

3 Likes

Zul what gpu are you using?

I’ve been having similar problems on both my Mac Pro and my Macbook Pro. GTX 1080 w/ Web Drivers and Radeon Pro 460 respectively. High Sierra & Mojave. Particularly in older zones.

When I was doing the new Hati quest on my Hunter, the textures in Storm Peaks would be solid black until I got fairly close to them.

Since this happened on both nVidia and AMD GPUs, I doubt it’s a driver bug.

Black:

https://i.imgur.com/KLvwKpk.png

Angling the camera down even slightly makes the textures appear:

https://i.imgur.com/cPHQYI9.png

System Specs:

Mojave 10.14.3
GPU: Radeon Pro 460

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro13,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB

@Omegall NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M

@Stoneblade that’s exactly what I’m talking about

I have this EXACT issue going on. I talked with a gm via online chat and sent him my system report, screen shots, renamed cache/wtf/etc, removed twitch, literally everything and its doing this exact thing you described. Playing on Mojave. Monday night logged off with no issues, when I logged in post patch on Tuesday this was happening.

1 Like

yes, that happens to me too. I think it’s because you’re looking towards Nazmir. It also happens in Underbog, and possibly Uldir

Same issue. Nvidia gtx680 and Mojave. Problems started after patch day.

I have the GTX 780M also. In a separate thread Blizzard stated they are working with Apple to get the video drivers updated.

When? Yeah who knows.

Haven’t been able to find a single AMD user able to reproduce issues. only nvdia, at least when it comes to the backing out like legion dalaran does, or flickering ground clutter like you can easily see in nazmir.

You just found one. The screenshots I posted were from my AMD Mac.

yeah but you also had a nvidia gpu plugged in as well i assumed (and that’d trigger the issue). I do know that blizzard has been unable to reproduce issue on a single AMD gpu in their arsenal. sadly they have 0 nvidia gpus in arsenal so if it’s another nvidia only gpu issue, this getting fixed may take a LONG TIME unless they can find some way to make an AMD gpu do any of these issues

I need you to post as much detail as you can if you have a way to reproduce issues on an AMD gpu. exact settings (maybe even a link to your config), exact specs across entire machine, and details of where and how you reproduce issue

Hey all,

Are you all on high resolution monitors? Is everybody on Mojave? Does the issue disappear if you reduce the in game resolution to 1080p, just for the sake of diagnostics?

So far I know the ground clutter/doodad flicker issue has only happened for 10.13 and 10.14, 10.12 is immune to it. it only affects nvidia driver (stock or web) for 10.13.x and higher.

The blacking out of terrain/tearing etc seems to be both AMD and nvidia but MUCH rarer on AMD, as stoneblade is only AMD to report it. everyone on nvidia sees it far more wide spread and can reproduce it stupid easy just going to legion dalaran and looking toward suramar at certain angles. This also happens on 10.13 and 10.14 both.

Both issues seem unaffected by resolution or render scale. or pretty much any graphics setting (so it has to be deep rooted in engine and not tied to any specific visual option or resolution). View distance/intensity helps see issues with more severity but isn’t a root cause, just a symptom of if you turn something up that’s already broken, it becomes more broken.

Mojave user here. Built in display, 27-inch (2560 x1440) iMac, 2014 model. Tried changing resolution scale, made no difference.

Also random note, don’t know if it helps at all, but I’ve notice some distortion in sky boxes and sometimes when returning to the outside world after an instance, if I am in travel form my raptor will be black and textureless. Both issues are resolved with /console GXrestart.

I see this in High Sierra but not in Sierra on a Mac Pro running a GTX 1080. All graphics settings on ‘10’ except AA which is turned off.

Not certain if the trade off between the two is a good one – corrupted graphics on HS or the occasional kernel panic on S (can be days or hours between – started with the Feb 9 update to 8.1.0).

Don’t have a Mojave system that can play WoW due to the lack off video drivers.

And it seems I’ve joined the missing avatar club.

Ok, observed this a bit more. Has to do with ground cover disappearing (as mentioned previously). I can 100 percent reproduce this traveling from the flight point in Deadwash to the bridge to the road north of the town. The ground cover will disappear/reappear in rapid succession. Ground Clutter is set to 10. Setting it to 1 (the minimum) makes the problem go away.

I’m seeing this on an nVidia GTX 1080 on 10.13.6. I do not see it on 10.12.6. (I will test to see if I can reproduce the 10.12.6 kernel panic there as I’ve had one in that vicinity)

Edit: The kernel panic on Sierra does reproduce running around the same areas that produce the graphics glitches on High Sierra (and presumably Mojave). I can invoke it reliably. This implies that turning off the ground clutter will prevent it. Apple will need to fix the panic, but Blizzard should fix the graphics issues.

Edit2: semi-educated speculation as to what’s happening. Blizz is writing beyond the bounds of a buffer on a Metal API call. On High Sierra and Mojave this is properly checked for by Apple and I’ll bet even returns an error, resulting in the data not getting written and resulting in the flashing we see as there is no attempt to draw the data. On Sierra it’s not being checked, resulting in the data getting drawn but also smashing memory in kernel space. Smash enough and you take down the kernel.

It’s also possible Apple fixed the issue by simply moving some of the graphics code from kernel to user space – Apple has been doing a lot of this in recent OS releases for security reasons. Like I said, I’m speculating.

Gtx 780m 4096 MB graphics card set on native resolution of 2560x1440. Changing resolution doesn’t help.

changing ground clutter to 1 (there is no 0) does not stop the issue from occurring on my end.

1 Like