Strange graphical flickering

On my character screen for certain races the graphics flicker a lot.
For example on the Dwarf screen its sometimes the trees, sometimes the snow on the ground.
For the Lightforged Draenei its sometimes the forehead and the banner behind the character list that flickers.
On the Deathknight screen its the guard and handle of the sword. Same for Nightelf.
Worgen is shoulder and head.
Anyone have any idea whats causing this? GPU dying? conflicting programs?

2 Likes

I am having the same problem. I thought it might be my pc also. But it only happens on certain objects. My void elf hat is doing it for instance. Almost like a shadow flicker.

1 Like

Yeah a shadow flicker is a pretty good description.

1 Like

Hey there,

After looking up a few things internally, I was able to confirm that this is a known bug causing flickering textures on the WoW 8.3 character selection screen. It seems to affect Nvidia Pascal cards (Geforce 10xx or newer) with the 445.75 and 445.87 drivers.

Nvidia released a new driver today, 446.14, so you may want to try updating to that to see if the issue stops. If not, weā€™ll have to wait until a future patch for a bug fix.

Thanks for reporting it!

1 Like

Okay Iā€™ll get that updated. Thank you!

Update: I installed the latest nvidia driver and I still get the flickering on the character screen.

here it also fails

Agreed, I have posted in a few other places, to stop this flickering simply get DDU(https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/ddu-guide-tutorial) ā† Follow instructions here) and download the stand alone driver for your Nvidia gfx card, You can try the latest however. I am on 442.50 and 442.59 will work fine as well. If you are brave the new one should work I havenā€™t tested it but am listing what I know works for sure. This is occuring because the 445.xx driver line has sharpening issues so when enabling your anti-alasing via NVCP or in-game options itā€™'ll cause it.
See post here Texture Flickering
Other than that the new Nvidia Driver is setup for the WinVer 2004, which basically is the patch MS is dropping this coming week for all computers. I am running 2004 now as an insider and still using 442.50 just fine.

1 Like

Disable or lower your anti-alias in the game settings.

9 Likes

Great info, I support this recommendation to anyone experiencing this error. Thank you Loregeron <3

4 Likes

I went a head and gave his suggestion a try since the GPU update didnā€™t work. It seems to be fine now. Iā€™ll report back if I notice it again.

Itā€™s not just anti alias to turn off, I had to turn on vsync. I also found the issue happening more frequently while on Display adapter instead of HDMI

1 Like

Posted in Texture Flickering - #21 by Kaldent-emerald-dream as well.

I finally resolved my texture flickering (mostly on shadows) by disabling ā€œMultisample Alpha-Testā€ under Advanced. Using NVIDIA drivers 451.48 from 06/24/2020.

this is happening to me , when i switch to certain zones the sky and the screen overall flickers, in stormsong valley the trees are flicking like strobes.

Letā€™s move this discussion over to this thread instead.

Thereā€™s been a few reports scattered across the forums regarding the flickering issue, and we want to get this centralized to one thread. Closing this thread.

1 Like