Story quests locked to renown

Is anyone else annoyed that the story quests are locked behind renown? I don’t mind the new rep/renown stuff but I feel like I’m required to do it now just to progress and see the story of DF and I hate that. I just wanted to casually farm and lvl up renown at my own pace for the cosmetic rewards but now I want to rush lvl them to unlock the story quests, but I can’t speed lvl renown so it leaves me feeling frustrated. The part of the game I want to experience and enjoy is locked behind something I don’t really want to do or don’t want to rush. I wouldn’t mind it as much if they were lower renown lvls or it was a bit easier to farm renown with some of the factions, but some of the story parts require renown 19, which feels like its gonna take me forever to hit.
Please Blizz, please remove the renown requirement or at least lower the renown level required to unlock the story chapter quests.

14 Likes

Does it matter?
Is it mandatory?
will you unlock it eventually?

You will get passive renown each week…
you will unlock said quests after time.

but also if you want you can focus on it and do it early.

it is not Time gated after all

1 Like

i think its just saying that instead of saying “come back next week youve done enough”

the lil renown i pushed only gave me access to a couple more quests that brought nothing forward.

its timegating without specifically saying it’s timegated, imo.

4 Likes

It matters to me and probably a lot other people who just want to do the story without having to do other things to unlock said story.
The fact that the story is locked behind renown makes renown mandatory to do if you want to see the story.
Yes, you will unlock it eventually, but depending the rates of renown you get each week, could take weeks and possibly months to hit the higher lvls for the story.
I understand I will unlock said quests after time, but considering how high a lvl renown you need for some of them, it could take weeks to months to get it, something I do not want to wait that long for.
I’ve done as much as I can this week to lvl my renown and feel like I’ve barely made a dent, blizzard has also nerfed some of the renown farms, making it that much more a slog to do.
It may not be time gated outright but it feels time gated like Teksuo said.
I just don’t want to have to wait weeks, possibly months just to see the story, I’d honestly rather the story be timegated to a chapter a week leading into the raid release then it be locked behind renown, at least then I know how long I have to wait and I don’t have to do a ton of farming just to see it.

4 Likes

People couldn’t even be trusted with spoilers in the beta. Soon enough, these story bits will be all over General and Trade chat. For anybody who can’t find time to gind rep in a timely manner, it can be disheartening to know that any relevant story beats are probably going to be spoiled for you.

5 Likes

Yea its annoying as hell but what can we do :frowning:

4 Likes

it’s the first week. you don’t have to grind these out. obviously it’s going to get easier over time to get rep but the option is still in the game for the psychos out there to do turn ins and events if they want to, which is good. is it time inefficient? yeah, but it’s also not hard gated like it used to be.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s a “soft gate” rather than a “hard gate”, really.

The expansion is out for what … 6 Days?
Do you really intend to speed through everything?
what will you do for the rest of the time?
complain there is nothing to do? Oh wait people already do that anyway

1 Like

I mean. Its also required for professions. And crafting. And transmog. And achievements. And battle pets. And dragon riding customizations.

I dont really see a problem with it. It is a heck of a lot better than “nah wait 2 weeks for the next story quest.” At least if i want to i can pump out as much rep in 1 day as possible to boost my renown.

Its not like this is the first time in wows history that things were locked behind a rep grind.

This is a bad defense. If a player is after story content then they hit a wall and are expected to sit around paying a sub while not being able to enjoy the game that’s money wasted. I doubt Blizz would award passive renown if someone canceled their sub until they would otherwise have enough to proceed for one or two more quests. Ime, Shadowlands was much better at this aspect. It seemed that in simply doing the quests themselves gave enough renown to smoothly continue the available quest lines for the current patch.

7 Likes

6 Days since release …

They already started to spoil carp now.

/shrug

As if people haven’t been grinding the tf out of rep in groups for 10+ hours a day so they don’t have to feel the gating. The only difference is it sounds like OP wants to grind the story. Grind and hyperfocus have always been part of the game and its culture.

It’s the main story quest, not a raid progression. You should be able to finish it.

3 Likes

Since there is nothing locked behind the story besides…well, the story, no I’m not really annoyed by it at all

Reminds me of Legion Suramar zone. lore, story locked behind the nightborne rep. And want to forget withered army training :rofl:

I completely disagree. It helps space out the story a bit and gives you something to anticipate.

1 Like

I remember blizz said that renown doesn’t effect the story it only effects crafting and transmog? If i am wrong then i am sorry i just remember there post staying that.

That’s just the way MMOs work. It’s all about the quest that tells the story then everything else is an option. Remember these games are all based on Dungeons & Dragons which in turn is based on books like Lord of the Rings which in turn is based on Homer’s Odyssey.

Without an Odyssey none of this would have happened.