Story Forum Community Lounge (Part 1)

Get better soon hun.

6 Likes

Thank you. I have gotten better already, but I’m still tired.

3 Likes

I’ve been fighting a cold for about 5 days now. Symptoms don’t line up with COVID, I just suck. Had to cancel D&D this week and kicking myself because I want to do fun things but mostly I’m napping while leaving comfort TV on.

4 Likes

Aw, I hope you get well soon, Twinkletorch.

4 Likes

Sorry I unfriended you Twinkle. Don’t take it personally. I’m just not comfortable with having private conversations on Discord anymore.

1 Like

Reminder that Blizzard once joked about U.S. drug laws.

1 Like

Not a bad joke tbh.

It’ll always be funny to me weed went from outlawed to labeled essential in the span of a few months in Illinois.

I almost kind of forget it isn’t universally legal. It does nothing but make money and unlike other ‘vices’ say like gambling it doesn’t divert from other businesses. In fact I figure if you opened a smoking lounge near a movie theater and restutants you’d see lovely synergy between them.

Personally I love it because it was just a crap shoot with potency buying it from street pharmacists. So having the THC content on the bottle is nice. Kinda wild to think it was for years like having to drink mystery booze, and not knowing if this is going to hit like a Mike’s Hard Lemonaid or Cleetus’s bathtub brewed Everclear.

2 Likes

I have been a fan of the greenery. In my younger days, I never hoped things would be as they are. Not just the varieties of flower, but the various candies and cookies and drinks with thc, just out there. I feel like a pot head in a dispensary. I guess that is exactly what I am.

It beats trying to keep unpleasant contacts in the underworld, and clandestine exchanges.

Almost all of my characters have that “Cured Billow Weed” in their bags. It is a grey treasure item, and the flavor text says:

“pirates on the great sea prize all manner of vices, particularly fine pipe weed.”

I do not RP much, but my characters have to have some weed in their knapsack if there is weed in the game.

I was stoked that Biden is moving the ball forward on rescheduling it, and reducing penalties federally for possession. I have been waiting to see which one of the two parties would make a move on the issue, and I am glad the Dems jumped first.

3 Likes

I was very isolated from other children and families until high school, for reasons both funny and not, and as a result, anti-drug propaganda was very successful on me. I had no evidence with which to countervail. My best friend in high school confided to me that she had tried pot and I panicked. I told her to stay safe, then I spent that evening quietly crying to myself and praying that she would not begin a life of crime.

College mellowed me out considerably, but sugar remains the only substance I use (and abuse, to be quite honest). But I can say I’ve at least tried alcohol. The other stuff? Well, I might, one day, once legalized. I’m all for it, but not in a rush.

3 Likes
1 Like

Ugh, I’m tired.

2 Likes

I actually have a generational question here if you have insight;

What the hell is the deal with Five Night’s At Freddy’s? Some horror movie about it is officially been announced and I’m seeing early 20 somethings mention how nostalgic it makes them feel, which in turns make me reflect grimly on my own mortality.

I just never got it. It was the gaming equivalent of a jack in the box. Once you grow numb to the jumpscare there wasn’t much there. Maybe I’m coming off like an old man asking about the avocado toast but it really does seem like everyone under 25 in my gaming or horror groups has an opinion on it.

Sometimes lightning just strikes at the right time. I can’t offer any insight on FNAF but I’ve seen people who have partaken of it say, basically, it did its core concept well, got memetic success, and then the creator cranked out sequels while the iron was hot.

2 Likes

It’s a game that came out in my teens and I remember lots of high school friends of mine playing it, though I never did, considering my parents rarely wanted to ever spend money on gaming for me.

Unlike many horror games, blood and gore aren’t it’s thing. I guess I’d say that having a different kind of scare has its appeal.

3 Likes

I realized I really enjoy Elemental shaman, though the talents, legendaries I’m supposed to use, and whatnot are really confusing. Different websites tell me different things.

3 Likes

The legality of the Devil’s Lettuce was super odd here in Canada. It was so widely accepted as fine even before it was legal, so when it recently became legal country-wide everyone was like ‘ok’ and just continued doing exactly what they were doing with literally no other change except dispensaries got a little flashier with their advertising.

Shaman is an incredibly fun class in all specs, but I found Elemental a bit all over the place in SL particularly. Although, it allows for some wiggle room for gameplay preference which is the silver lining.

4 Likes

Question of the century.

More serious answer, the popularity of Five Night’s At Freddy’s encapsulates the experience of the younger generation growing up on a corporate established internet. While I would watch channels like Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon when growing up, they were watching YouTube. I think children naturally have a curiosity for horror and Five Night’s At Freddy’s is child friendly horror. It is that digital jack in the box with the familiarity and relatableness of Chuck E Cheese. It is kind of odd to think that a generation is nostalgic for Five Night’s At Freddy’s in the same way mine is for Ed Edd n Eddy.

5 Likes

My favorite is still by far Silent Hill 2 as that had a really fascinating psychological edge.

I really like that nightmare dream logic and in particular being given a protagonist that will fight back but arent particularly good at it.

Maybe I’m more prone to the fight then freeze or flight instinct but I just find it unrealistic in games where you cant so much pick up a bit of lead pipe or say try to block a security guard door with any of the filing cabinents.

I personally feel the best horror has a vicaruous thrill to it. Thats why the slasher genre was so popular and why the characters act like lemmings. They’re brazenly stupid so you can enjoy their deaths.

Good horror though I feel has the characters acting very logically and still failing. “It’d get you too” is a very scary feeling. And horror games that let you be creative and account for it with clever design are the best in that regard. FNAF maybe would’ve been terrifying I feel if you could do anything other than close the door. Or at least explain why your character was so adverse to running away.

Like with FNAF imagine if they gave your character some personality. Perhaps theyve been rendered mostly immobile by a car accident and this was the only job they could get. You realize too late you’ve been put here as a sacrifice. And you can’t swing a bit of metal or outrun the bastards but that doesn’t mean you’re going down without a fight.

Then at least youd get a sense of connection and a desire to get this poor screwed over person to safety.

2 Likes

We watched those too.

3 Likes

It took me until Downpour for me to play the Silent Hill franchise. I remember seeing it at Blockbuster when I was younger but I didn’t play it because the cover art looked confusing. Didn’t do a good job of conveying what the games were about. I’m glad to have played it now because it’s one of my favorite game franchises and I play Silent Hill 2 every Halloween. It’s still a masterpiece.

I rarely play games where you can’t fight back against your enemies. It’s usually a frustrating concept for me. I haven’t played Shattered Memories yet though and I’ve been interested in that for awhile. Silent Hill is psychological horror and that game actually has psychology in it. That game is both freeze and flight.

The slasher genre is still good too. I remember seeing the opening scene to Halloween H2O at my grandma’s house when it came out on VHS and I became fascinated with it. I didn’t know what movie it was and no one told me so I started renting horror movies to find it. I thought it was Friday the 13th so I started watching that franchise in order on a search for that movie. Didn’t know it was a Halloween movie until much later in life.

They’re not slasher movies but the Final Destination franchise is pretty great for that inevitable doom feel. Death comes to everyone no matter how much they try. That series made me paranoid for awhile. I thought I was seeing death signs everywhere. Kind of funny in hindsight.

2 Likes