Story Forum Community Lounge (Part 1)

I hope that isn’t the case, I don’t know anyone here so I assumed they meant me but idk what the other quotes are about.

I hope everyones respecting each others pronouns :heart:

2 Likes

well Rhaenys 'The Queen that Never Was" understands the patriacrhy of Westeros more than anyone. Her conversations with Corlys about how she understands why she wasn’t named queen and that she didn’t want it. She’s grown accustomed to not making waves (heh, nautical pun!)

I think on a low key level Rhaenys finally taking a stand only when her legacy is threatened is supposed to be some metaplay about centrist liberals.

The show runners did say that Alicent was supposed to represent Women for Trump so I imagine HoD and the Dance of Dragons is just a metaplay about the current US political climate.

I would also like to point out that this story was written by a man. If only just to burst Ren’s bubble.

It is certainly more likely that she is coloring the show with her own uber communist perspective.

1 Like

Yeah, and that tracks with what I heard from the developers of the series. That there are no people to universally cheer for as good to the bone. Like GoT had maybe Arya or Ned Stark. That HoD is full of jerks on all sides.

Personally I was a fan of Rhaenys from the first scene. The actress plays the character well. She has a quiet elegance and power, even as she is being robbed of her birthright. And she maintains that as the series goes on, and she is further mistreated. I do root for her a bit. And her husband. They seem caught up in the events more so than the drivers of the events.

I liked it. It says something about her respect for her family. As she was escaping, she saw that at least one execution had been carried out. She gave a bit of respect to the Queen, basically returned the favor of sparing each other.

As far as collateral damage, she had to escape. It makes sense enough.

I was a fan of the scene.

1 Like

A old white dude too :joy:

1 Like

Yeah and I didn’t really care for that statement as it seems to be an extreme oversimplification for the purposes of making Rhaenyra the protagonist, instead of telling the dance as it should be a tragedy w both sides in the wrong.

At first I took issue w the greens, only because I do support the elder child period coming first being more fair, but when Rhaenyra flat out says in the book material to other people that sons come before daughters, I kind of stopped caring on that point and just looked at it from the stand point of Alicent feeling threatened / and not caring she made a power grab in an attempt to in what her eyes is protect her kids.

I think theres another convo to be had that the Targaryens in this case are conquerors, and the Hightowers as people they conquered are utilizing the Targ-Hightower branch of the family to take power back.

But overall I think thats why its better to not make those parallels, because Alicent isn’t a woman for Trump, otherwise what is Rhaenys who in the end still falls in line with her husbands wishes to have Lucerys inherit, or Rhaenyra who fights for her succession but not other eldest daughters successions. It just doesn’t work imo, and no one has the moral high ground.

Also just for reference Olivia said she didn’t play Alicent as how the show people expressed to her.

1 Like

You are not wrong.

And yet even though that was how she played Alicent. Alicent is empowering.

Maybe the show runners shouldn’t be making political statements in our fiction.

1 Like

Never understood that as a point for or against anyone. Yeah on average men are worse at writing women but that’s not exactly always true.

I’d say Gaiman or Pratchett’s characters are a lot more well rounded than say EL James’s at any rate.

2 Likes

That’s why I view it as such a disservice to have a protagonist outright.

Like I think they shoulda done it in a way that favored Rhaenyra as one if they should have one but not outright have a protagonist.

Anyways I’m waiting for the blackfyre rebellion I feel like it’ll be more straight forward for me bcz I really don’t see how the blackfyres aren’t in the wrong but I respect peoples side if they do feel they are in the right.

1 Like

the real winners are the Starks, which seems to track.

Indeed, I don’t see any colonizer/colonized parallels here. Everyone involved has inherited power and wealth. As it is in a feudal society. George RR Martin doesn’t seem to write stories with a broader message in mind. He is primarily a world builder, and he says as much.

In interviews he talks about where his interest in writing came from. As a child he would watch ships come into port and imagine where they had come from and what they had endured to come this far.

Ren is just some weird Neo Liberal who needs to make everything about politics, despite being horrifically abusive to people and especially nasty to other women who don’t fall into their niche, ideal of what a woman should be.

Not the point that was being made.

More so contesting the idea that The House of Dragon was “Written for the female gaze, not the Male Gaze”

2 Likes

It was brought up because someone mentioned HOTD being designed for the female gaze , when it’s a violent and hyper sexualized show written by a old white guy

3 Likes

Aki I am not tearing down other women, stop being a troll, The last conversation we had about your pronouns is you are gender neutral but male presenting. Stop being a troll. If anything I am validating you.

But your identity and pronouns seem to change with with winds, or for whatever trolling angle you are currently trying to play.

This anti-feminist angle of yours is transparent and also anti-LGBT. Trans Identity should never be used by alt-right trolls to troll/harrass/stalk/doxx members of the LGBtQA community. That’s where your mask fades, unless there some Alt-right LGBT community no one knows about (are you Milo or one of his?)

Anyway I am not here to talk to my Tumblr harrasser, so bye Aki.

Lol, we never had this conversation, because that has never been true.

2 Likes

There’s something I REALLY wanted to say here right now, but I swore I wouldn’t.

1 Like

I’ve certainly seen stories that are at least aiming at a more feminine power fantasy. Twilight springs to mind. A very boring girl has too many boyfriends that are both dangerous monsters but are very sexy and adore and protect her.

Not really for me but I still thought it caught too much flak. Because I genuinely can’t count how many stories I’ve read about some boring guy who just has gorgeous women throwing themselves at him.

But I do kinda roll my eyes at the “not for this or that demographic” argument. Because a good story is a good story. 2015’s Tangerine springs to mind. I really like that movie even though I’m not a black Californian transgender sex worker. Because it’s just a really good comedy drama and yeah there’s specifics I don’t have one for one experiences to compare to. But for all the flavors of humanity out there the venn diagram of our general condition intersects way more than it diverges.

Good art can get you to feel for the perspective of a cat or robot. So, not that tall of an order to feel for just a slightly different type of person.

5 Likes

Out of all the feminine power fantasies and TWILIGHT is the only one you know?!

oh Ben no.

You seem at least receptive to good storytelling, you just need a woman to show you what’s good. Did you ever end up going to see Don’t Worry Darling with your high school crush?

One time, when we were friends, she told me that she didn’t care about your identity or pronouns because you were probably her Tumblr harasser. I see she edited her post to accuse you of that openly.

2 Likes

I maintain that’s perfectly adequate teenage fiction. It’s fine. The absurd amount of critical cross analysis it got was 200% because it was popular mostly with teenage girls, and society at large despises anything they like.

Like Twilight, Justin Beiber, etc. I remember that era of being encouraged to just despise that stuff and far as I can tell it’s just because it was popular with school girls. Heaven forfend they have their own silly BS to enjoy.

3 Likes

LOL

I can link my tumblr. There isn’t much activity there, but I mostly just reblog art that I use for inspiration for my dnd World Building lol. I don’t talk to anyone on there and honestly, it is pretty rare that I even look at it these days.

2 Likes