Story Forum Community Lounge (Part 1)

Ya think this would work on you?

I maintain that necromancy is a perfectly valid school for criminal justice investigations.

Of course everyone assumes you can just zap the corpse back up and they’ll tell ya what happened but uh. Well you try reasoning with someone who’s last cogent memory was of a 9mm round careening through their memories of childhood. Not to mention they tend to be EXTREMELY BITEY.

So. Ya know probably better used as an ‘enhanced interrogation’ technique I figure. Probably wont get the truth as it were but you’ll certainly get a confession and if you wanna go career that’s the only stat that matters tbh.

For whatever it’s worth: I read that at the depth they were at when it imploded, it was biologically impossible for them to feel pain; they flashed up in temperature to the surface of the sun about 25x faster than the human body would be able to send an electrical signal to the brain. Or in nerdier terms if that helps conceptualize it, probably faster than 1 frame at 60 FPS.

They quite literally winked out of existence.

5 Likes

Yeah that was the best outcome.

Because the worst case scenario would’ve been maybe the most miserable way to die I’ve ever heard of. And I’m a massive horror nerd who studies wars, deranged autocratic leaders and once literally had a presentation on the most terrible fates in mythology/theology.

So. I can think of some pretty nasty ways to go and that trumped all of them.

And it would’ve been their doom no matter what. Even if they found them they would’ve still been screwed. That’s like thrice the distance of the deepest ocean rescue operation ever conducted.

And the last thing salvaged from similar depths was an American fighter jet that went down over sea. It took the United States Navy, with basically a blank check to get it done, something like thirty six days to manage it.

Suffice to say if you take the budget option to go down to the Titanic this uh. Well maybe it’s tragic but it’s certainly not surprising.

Apparently some of the trading post tasks for this month are a reference to the disaster, the ones that have to do with a diving helmet and sub.

Maybe it’s just the sleep deprivation but this ish had me HOLLOWING;

1 Like

The whole Ukraine War is awful on so many levels, but one thing that really strikes me is how the Russians are stealing Ukrainian children.

That is so…. medieval. Straight out of some dark fantasy tale. Some horrible corrupt nation of oligarchs, who live in a land rich with resources… but they make it so horrible to exist, the common people flee or simply don’t reproduce because their lives are so awful.

So what do the oligarchs do? Pillage neighboring nations and steal their children.

I have been going to a business lately, and everyone is Eastern European. A lot of Ukranian refugees who fled the war, got work permits, and are in the US. It sort of brings the war closer to home, hearing about the stuff they have been going through.

It’s like Russia’s answer to their population problem was to kidnap children instead of making their country a place people want to live and raise a family.

1 Like

Yup. It’s an absolute waking nightmare with no end in sight.

I personally know several Russians who fled their country. Including a med student who opted to go be a maid, bartender and prostitute in Tulbsi, the capitol of Georgia, for over a year. Because they were drafting pretty much anyone with medical knowledge to try to patch up soldiers with like some grandma’s decidedly unsterilized sowing needle and shoe laces. Unsurprisingly she wasn’t thrilled about that. Last we spoke she’d made it to Serbia and booked it into Germany through Austria where her asylum status seems to be going well.

Seriously God Bless Germany. Best redemption arc in human history.

As for the Ukranians. Well I don’t know how else to say it other than bluntly; I know a lot less now than I did a few years ago. I still hold out hope but, yeah when I check their moms FB and it’s nothing but their black and white pictures I think the outlook isn’t good.

But they were willing to die. That’s something Putin can’t seem to understand. An army of at this point borderline slaves cannot hope to fight an army of people fighting for home and family. Any man worth his salt would happily kill or die for such a cause. Whereas only the depraved would kill or die for the delusions of an aging bunker grandpa who’s only lasted this long by virtue of intense albeit justified paranoia.

Suffice to say if I was a Russian officer - I’m never going higher than the first floor, eating something I didn’t personally grow or butcher, and I’m getting someone else to start my car.

I miss when we used to just get drunk and sing about farmlands, farm girls and falcons. The dark times will pass. They always do. But it’s just tiresome. We were already living in the peace our grandfather’s bled for. It’s shattered once again.

Also don’t tell anyone because it’ll incite another war but yeah the Poles have the best version. And I say that as someone only connected to this by my Prussian roots so. Painful to admit but it’s true.

2 Likes

The USSR also kidnapped Afghan children during the Soviet-Afghan War. While I did not support the so-called freedom fighters and religious extremists during that war, children (and women) being kidnapped was a harsh reality.

If youre unfamilar with the Ukranians though. Man they’re mad lads. Like I’m the sensible one when we hang out;

Seriously mfers looked at these determined mad lads and said “Yeah we can take them”. Pffffft.

Well if nothing else this fiasco has reminded Germany she has fangs. The first friend I ever had to bury was a Ukranian immigrant. I was supposed to be with him that night, ditched him to chase some tail. Still haven’t forgiven myself.

I might not be able to live up to my pledge spoken in German at his grave, but the Germans have.

I like to imagine that was entirely because of me. Because I’m a crazy person.

2 Likes

We should probably keep an eye on them though… just in case…

Like I think they learned their lesson but I also get a little wild eyed when handed tools of destruction. Keep a leash on us.

It’s for your safety not ours.

Truly you can take the kraut out the mountains but you can’t take the mountain out the Kraut.

Granted I’m like 90% certain the forest, hill and lake deities that whisper to me are doing so in Miami or Iroquois dialects. Either way I just assume they want me to just kinda;

Also remains hilarious to me mfers were losing it because they cast a black woman as Germania.

Iron within and iron without has no genetic code. It is the whisper of the alps. The command of the baltic. And the riddle of the black forest.

Anyone who can hear, understand and answer those things and trials is a right proper kraut far as I’m concerned.

1 Like

As a general statement same obviously. I saw a tweet that I found interesting (just in reference to people’s general sentiment across social media) in that someone said they do think it sparks an interesting convo on a lack empathy and where the lack of empathy starts & that it starts w the very existence of billionaires.

In other unrelated news I did end up watching the last of us, like 5 episodes so I think 3 left unless it’s a 10 episode season.

3 Likes

Honestly it’s the best video game adaptation of anything I’ve seen.

It was interesting because I actually watched it with my mom, because obviously my love of all things spooky came from somewhere.

And she’d of course never played the game. But I had, though it was long enough ago that I didn’t remember it too well.

I love how they expanded on the lore. And I guess the reason they ditched the spore storyline from the games was because those showrunners had also worked on HBO’s “Chernobyl” and I guess trying to direct actors wearing gas masks is a fool’s errand.

I actually think I preferred the grain bacteria origin. In part because it of course reminded me of Warcraft 3. But it’s also just more interesting to me than spores.

Idk we really do pay so little attention to what we eat and most of us are at least dimly aware we don’t want to know where most of it came from. So that’s very fertile ground to grow a horror that lingers.

This shouldn’t sound as good as it does.

1 Like

My favorite use of AI voice modulation remains;

2 Likes

The Bad Guys are falling into another World.

Harley and Joker seem to be going there and I suspect we will get King Shark, Killer Croc, Poison Ivy, Penguin, Captain Boomerang and/or Deadshot as well as all of them are well known members of the Suicide Squad.

I’ve started watching Runaways, which I’m kinda confused about. It’s a superhero show about 6 teens who discover their parents are part of a cult, so they try to figure out how to handle this situation. They’re all teen stereotypes, so you get a nerd, a jock, a goth, a hippy, a feminist, and a plain jane. Originally it was on Hulu, then moved to Disney+, then taken off a couple months ago so I have to buy it from YouTube to watch it. Three seasons, so it has a decent amount of episodes.

What I’m confused about is the tone. There’s some dark and mature themes in this show, but it’s rated TV 14; it’s too adult to be for children and too juvenile to be something that’s Netflix tier. I’ve never seen a Hulu original production so I don’t know if a lot of Hulu shows have this tone. I’m two episodes in, so far it feels like something a teenager would watch late at night for its edginess without having to worry too much about violence despite one of the main characters getting drugged and nearly SA’d at a party with another moment having a realistic portrayal of gangsters extorting a construction site. This is the same show where the lesbian that’s in the closet has the sole ability to make her arms glow rainbow colors as her superpower and another has a velociraptor as a sidekick, but a majority of people online are saying it’s a good show so I might be able to ease into its tone at some point.

Happy 4th to my American Forum-goers! :sparkler: :tada:

4 Likes

Happy 4th of July!

I’d like to share a moment from one of my favorite films;

The N@ZIs are the enemy. Wade into them. Spill their blood. Shoot them in the belly

So much for the tolerant left, am I right?

1 Like

Gotta admit Worgen Druid is the first one to really crack the code for me.

I do love my Troll Druid but fundamentally I saw her as more of a Forest Troll Primal that had picked up some Cenarion tradeskills.

A werewolf learning shapeshifting and moon magic to better control his condition just feels pretty appropriate.

2 Likes