Story Forum Community Lounge (Part 1)

There’s a new nether drake from the shop that is julys reward. It’s a customizable Dragonriding mount

4 Likes

That whole questlines was one of the greatest WoW did if you ask me.

I think that’s why for all it’s faults I still really love DF. Because I have such a core memory of waiting to get Epic Flying until I finally got my Netherdrake.

And doing the Skyguard quests on that, after being so used to my engineering helicopter basic flying, felt like turning up to the London Blitz in an X-Wing. Just effortlessly juking fire and taking out enemy installations.

But obviously that was rose colored glasses. Flying had become so standardized when I came back into Legion that I actually started to hate it. Because it was borderline no-clip mode.

But dragon riding finally made the gameplay catch up to my memory of the first time I blasted across Outland. Because genuinely that’s what I remember it being like.

I do think they should keep oldschool flying around for the people without the capacity to be a leaf on the wind. But after this if they don’t revamp Azeroth proper with this new flight philosophy I think I might be done for good.

They did too good of a job lol. There’s no going back now. I think I’m as alt obsessed as I’m because when I get into DF content the old zones just feel like crap now.

Seriously I absent mindedly rode my flyer off the edge of Dazar’Alor’s pyramid just expecting to soar on the wings of eagles. And when Heidi my plaguebat just hovered there like the fat old bumblebee she resembles my reaction was;

1 Like

The nether drakes quest line I’ve heard nothing but great things about it. I hear it’s a lot of fun

After all these years, I should go do it sometime

1 Like

I can’t imagine it’s quite the same.

It was genuinely an absurd amount of work and dedication. But it was worth it. Having to do basically Mario Kart esque sky races against the Horde and Alliance aces from Alterac Valley was great.

I hate how little they do stuff like that anymore. It just makes the world feel more alive when minor characters pop up in simultaneously unexpected but completely understandable places.

Like they’re challenging the best riders in the galaxy out here. Of course these dudes turned up. Alterac Valley presumably isn’t perpetually at war.

1 Like

I liked the Skyguard a lot more, but part of that is how much I love the old nether ray design (now they have normal faces. Boring).

Those hideous fang jawed six winged skates with a flashy tail are my absolute favorite.

2 Likes

Oh so they did change them! They just haven’t felt the same to me. I figured it was more rose colored glasses.

And as you might imagine from knee-jerk compulsion to defend the legacy of Manfred Albrecht Freiherr von Richthofen, I really, really liked the Skyguard quests and have been having so much fun with DF largely because they finally delivered the air combat they ILLEGALLY LIED ABOUT BEING THERE in Wrath.

Wanted desperately to be a pilot as a child but my little quirks make that an inadvisable at best career path.

But I am great with animals. Machines however continue to bedevil me. So the idea of basically having a big flying dog I could ride into battle remains a very big fantasy for me lol

Whistful sigh

If only I lived in the era where pilot qualifications were;

So we strapped a car motor to essentially a kite and welded a machine gun to the front. Which is liable to destroy your primary method of keeping airborne. Are you deranged enough to get in this thing?

Seriously all these horror stories from the trenches and ya got mfers blasting through the air with engines less reliable than riding mowers going;

When I was in 6th grade we made bottle rockets as a science assignment. We went out into the field and everyone took turns launching them off a cheap rinky dink stand. They launched by pulling a string at the bottom, but you couldn’t just yank it and you couldn’t tug on it too slow either, you had to pull it the right amount. I was trying to be careful but was too slow, which caused the stand to tilt before the bottle rocket was launched, which shot out at two boys walking the jogging trail during their gym class and they had to dive out the way. I got yelled at by my teacher for that, which wouldn’t have happened if he had a better stand to work with or better explained how the hell I was supposed to Goldilocks that crap.

1 Like

Apparent the Afrikaner is backing out. I just want the little creep to just jump him like;

If youre American you should still report that teacher to the House UnAmerican Activities Commitee.

Yeah they might be defunct and fundamentally a violation of the Constitution that largely just bullied the crap out’ve gay artists.

But if there’s one thing this country was founded on, it was on the insane idea to just hand everyone black powder weapons and see what happened.

Lot of violent death as it turns out but only madness breeds the sort of people who go “… Let’s go stab the moon with our flag”.

The old ones still have the basic cambrian explosion face, but the new versions are more basic.

Though I’m unclear if sporebats are supposed to be similar. I like to think that there’s going to be a high def horrifying toothy, eyefilled mess out there as a mount someday.

1 Like

Chemistry would’ve been safer, each science class has the facilities to handle that and every year we went over the safety procedures. Sinks and showers along with beakers and flasks, not half liter plastic bottles ghetto rigged together with tape and string. I’m sure we could’ve safely made something with black powder in a more controlled environment.

1 Like

Next expansion, Blizz should add an underwater zone. In the introduction before the zone, you should be able to find a group of five goblins talking about their expensive sub, and how they were going to see the wreck of the dwarven ship Titan. You’d find the sub’s debris once you got to the new zone.

1 Like

Wasn’t expecting you to support that type of joke

Well there is a surprising element about that disaster - people mad that they were rich, squandered their wealth on a dubious excursion, cost tax payers additional funds to search for them and recover their litter, and so on.

A lot of folks are dancing on their watery graves.

Personally, I think they were fools, but I am not one of those “eat the rich” types. I hope the government gets repaid by their newly wealthy heirs. In fact, people should be forced to put a deposit with the government to pay for their search and rescue if they are going to do stupid crap.

As far as a joke, I find very little is immune to being joked about. Gilbert Gottfried made a joke right after 9/11 that shut the place down, people actually shouted “too soon.”

Does anybody remember laughter?

Humor is subjective, I just find it kinda odd that the person complaining about Iraq War analogies and other such quests is encouraging an easter egg mocking the horrific death that some people had to endure. It’s easy now to see that going on something like that was foolish to do, but the only person to blame is the CEO. One of the victims was a 19 year old who didn’t want to go on there, he just went with his dad as a gift for Father’s Day. Anyone who is happy about people dying because they have more money than them is a psychopath.

Nah the people who went… went. There were quite a few people who were interested, and pulled out, because it looked sketchy.

Hope the government sends their families a bill for the rescue attempt. It is not like they were sailing around and had an accident - this was preplanned thrill seeking and exploring that could have put other people’s lives in danger.

Ironic. Giving life to a person, only for them to lose it on your account, because of a stupid trip to a wrecked ship.

I was annoyed at the coverage. They played a stupid game and won a stupid prize. The coverage was inescapable for a few days.

I was surprised how many people were actually happy about the out come, because they were rich people literally throwing their wealth at a shipwreck, instead of feeding homeless or what ever.

Now, to be clear, this isn’t something I actually support. It was a form of dark humor I decided to dump in the story forum lounge.

Almost all of the leftists and Marxists I’ve seen on social media were part of the group celebrating the outcome or hoping for the worst. They view every billionaire as an oppressor, and each one’s death as a net positive for humanity.

I wasn’t actually hoping they’d die. It’s very hard for me to wish death on anyone.

None of the other rich people are to blame?

There is kind of a continuum here. You can wish death on nobody and not be a psychopath. You can have violent thoughts about certain groups of people, like certain types of criminals, and not be a psychopath. You could feep no empathy towards anybody at all and be a psychopath.

Maybe the second group has some form of mental illness too, but I don’t think it’s psychopathy.

1 Like

Do we know that they didn’t do any charity or philanthropy? Just because people have a lot of money doesn’t mean that they don’t use it to help others.

That’s fair, I can see the humor in the concept, I just think it’d be distasteful if it were implemented. Not that there isn’t a lot of distastefulness in the game already.

IIRC they didn’t have any involvement regarding the sub’s safety measures and policies.

I didn’t mean to imply you did BTW, was just saying that as a general statement in regards to the people celebrating, sorry if it seemed like I was accusing you.

I mean.

I do legitimately feel terrible for the 19 year old who got dragged into it. According to his sister he was acutely aware of how stupid that was but I guess his dad was obsessed with the Titanic and so he agreed to it for father’s day.

And yeesh. Tough luck kid.

Always trust your instincts. The human brain developed over millenia for the sole purpose of keeping you alive.

When the alarm bells start going off, don’t disregard them. Better to look stupid and alive than brave but dead.

2 Likes

Really is nothing new though.

History is full of kings and emperors who died doing spectacularly stupid things. Because that much wealth and privilege basically convinces the mind you’re somehow invincible.

Until something like a feral boar or gravity or disgruntled bodyguard reminds you of your mortality.

Seriously think it was in the 7 Years War when the Swedish King got up out’ve cover because he was upset this siege warfare thing was taking awhile and I guess felt he was going to go talk to war’s manager.

Well a canon ball had the pretty solid counter argument of. Being a canon ball. So that took his dumb head clean off his shoulders. I imagine to the relief of the men under his command.

This is why per some accounts of the Roman Triumph, it was customary to have a dude standing behind the General and telling him to “look behind” as a reminder of his mortality. Hence momento mori.

Remember, Caesar, thou art mortal

1 Like