Storm Dust Economy

So… how are we meant to get Storm Dust once we run out of leveling/questing greens? As a Tailor (the usual complement to Enchanting) I think the only disenchantable greens I can craft are the low-level profession accessories, and they also require Storm Dust, so I can’t use them to fund my other dust needs; and I don’t think I’ve seen a recipe to shatter Gleaming Shards into Storm Dust either. What gives?

21 Likes

I hadn’t thought of this but there seems to be a hefty amount of greens dropping off npc’s this xpac so perhaps the move is to farm greens by killing npcs, since you are a tailor you should farm humanoids and gather cloth for your tailoring as well and just d/e the greens you get from drops for the dust…

Otherwise just buy from AH i guess lol

How did this make it through beta??? Its almost breaks enchanting by being so limited.

17 Likes

What breaks enchanting even more is the fact darkmoon card droprates are giga inflated, epic crystals being this cheap before even mythic dungeons or raid has dropped is crazy

6 Likes

Well if you want to be conspiratorial. 2x4’s farm greens for dust. Blizzard nerfs them as needed to keep supply low. Blizzard sells more Tokens as people break down on grinding and just pull out their wallet.

The game has been balanced around 2x4 farms since at least BFA,

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s fair to say that the game has been balanced around 2x4 farms - that’s always been a player workaround, I’ve never done that, and I’ve always been able to level and sustain my enchanting. What’s missing is profession greens - in past expansions crafters would dump their leveling crafts in the AH, which would provide Enchanters with stuff to disenchant; without those, dust becomes much more premium. Dust has never been this expensive. Sure, crystals being cheap is weird and unusual, but it doesn’t break the profession, it just makes it so most enchants’ costs are like 90% dust, which feels insane.

If it isn’t balanced around 2 x 4’s, then why do so many 2 x 4 farms get nerfed which makes them useless for a solo player to farm.

It’s been the same story since at least BFA. 2 x 4 farm starts > gets nerfed > useless for solo farming.

Why wouldn’t they just change it so that 2 x 4 farms are no longer a thing? Instead it’s the player who plays solo that ends up get screwed because the 2 x 4 farmers just find another farm.

I came here thinking there was a reasonable explanation for shatter not being in my book. Turns out there isn’t.

7 Likes

One small blessing is that I can get a bag of Enchanting mats with Firelight Rubies (from the wax turn-ins). But it looks like Enchanting mats, unlike herbs, leather, and ore, don’t drop in all the different random zone treasures, so that sucks too.

It genuinely feels like I cannot be an Enchanter right now, unless I spend tons of money on it, and the profession has never felt that way.

2 Likes

Step 1: Gather some herbs (mycobloom wink wink)
Step 2: Thaumaturgy
Step 3: Dust!

1 Like

This looks like a useful trick to keep up my sleeve, but Blizzard’s plans for Enchanting cannot be for it to rely on two other professions. Hell, I already think too many recipes require Leyline Residue, but at least it’s in low amounts and it’s cheap.

2 Likes

I had a green get upgraded to blue on a quest turn in and I got angry just now.

9 Likes

Yea, it really feels painful when every green piece of gear that I craft with tailoring disenchants into a gleaming shard that I can’t shatter into dust which is what is really bottle necking me from leveling it. It’s good to know that I can transmute herbs into dust, but I’ll have to work on my alchemist to unlock that ability since I went alchemical mastery & fantastic flasks first with him. Also, I didn’t even realize till someone said that the random bags across the zones drop nearly every profession mat except enchanting mats which makes it more painful.

2 Likes

We aren’t able to craft green gear only profession gear which can be DE’d for stormdust. The problem is that it costs more to create the profession gear than you get storm dust in return when you DE them.

The exception might be if you specced heavily into Disenchaniting Uncommon Items. In which case you may be able to buy off the AH and disenchant at a profit.

1 Like

My Disenchanter is 30/30 DD and 30/30 Uncommon and it really doesn’t give that much more dust, it does give lots of 2 and 3 star though.

1 Like

Define hefty. I’ve been doing dungeons, the campaign, farming mobs for tailoring mats and a full day’s play gets me maybe 5 greens. I disenchant and mostly get 1 or 2 Storm Dust.

Our enchantments cost 10 to 50 Storm Dust. My means of acquiring it in high quantities were Waxy Bundles. But that got nerfed down from 61-67 to like 8-12. I get the original quantity was quite high, but 8?.. 8?

At LEAST have it 21-28, come on.

7 Likes

great news! They nerfed every last one of those bags, you now get 8-10 dust per enchanting bag!!

4 Likes

Just plain cruelty at this rate on enchanters this expansion.

2 Likes

I mean, your bags fill up pretty fast when you are doing 2x4 farms.

I just haven’t had an issue… i’ve sold 2461 rank 1, 1079 rank 2, and 554 rank 3 storm dust on the AH so far… pretty much entirely from greens >.>

I’m sorry, but people shouldn’t be forced to do gimmicky coordinated group mob grind farms to have functioning professions.

Some people may tolerate Chinese style farming while watching a 2nd screen, but it is unquestionably terrible design.

22 Likes