Stop Saying "Yeah But You Wanted the Vanilla Experience"

Pick a realm, I’ll use Faerlina because it’s one of the original large realms, it’s 5.5k population on both factions.

That is not much larger than vanilla populations.

What’s different is people desire to play this type of PvP. This phase 2 was highly anticipated. Why? Because it was a part of the vanilla experience.

Classic WoW is a Frankenstein version of Vanilla WoW, & the player-base/community in Classic is a Frankenstein version of the original Vanilla player-base, for lack of a better descriptor. People today are just more jaded, spoiled & entitled for the most part, regardless of their age bracket. I personally blame social-media for creating a flourishing narcissistic idiocracy.

1 Like

Yeah But You Wanted the Vanilla Experience

Yeah But You Wanted the Vanilla Experience

Nope. I rolled Horde on Sargeras. It was Alliance dominated (IME) before server transfers after ~1 year, and then it became apocalyptic.

It was never like this. The very simple reason is the pop difference. I’m on Stalagg now (with the faction imbalance flipped) and there are Sargeras-style zergs and death squads pretty much everywhere instead of two or three hotspots.

People who keep saying “it was like this in Vanilla” are either forgetting, lying or characterizing some pserver experience as “Vanilla.”

1 Like

You’re right in that the toon example was a bad point.

You’re wrong in that layering was solely for queue times.

If that were true, why did realms have queues when layering was available?

I would also point you to this wowhead article from around the late-spring early-summer info dump we got where it points out that layering is for reducing stress not for increasing caps. https://www.wowhead.com/news=291722/layering-in-classic-wow

I would also like to point out that most servers had two layers for a while shortly into September

1 Like

These are not mutually exclusive dude. The layering WAS to allow more people on each realm at launch (to have lesser ques) but they didn’t want their to be an infinite number of players on one server, which is why it still had ques.

And did you even bother reading your quote? Because I don’t think it’s saying what you think it’s saying.

Layering was put in to combat ques. They had to have fewer players on each layer at launch because they couldn’t have everyone in one zone, when people spread out it meant more people per layer. Do you think this simple explanation means layering wasn’t put in because of ques? I’m super confused in what you’re attempting to get it.

Regardless of this nonsense, none of this means they kept the increased server cap they had at launch, which is what you’re attempting to push. All it means is that you don’t understand at all what was going on lol

Oh I and forgot to mention

Layering is for increasing caps, which provides more stress, so they combat that with more layers.

If there were no layers, then they would have to lower the caps. Period.

Where in the article do they ever talk about combating queues with Layering?

Without layering, what do you think they would have had to do to fix the massive server lag with allowing a massive amount of people to login day one? Honest question.

Right, layering was to combat server stability which is what I was saying.

Server stability and login queues are two separate things. Having a lot of people (such as the launch day amount) causes unstable servers from having so many people in the same area, which is why they made Layering.

Not that it is relevant, but I never had an issue with Layering. Both as a concept and functionally.

The servers are overpopulated agreed. That in itself is a change from vanilla and needs to be corrected. New servers need to be opened up, and allow free transfers to them.

I played in vanilla and flight masters did get camped, on occasion ppl would take over blackrock mountain but nothing to this scale.

Agreed also, faction imbalances were never even close to this lvl till BC

1 Like

Ok first of all, server stability and login queues are not two separate things. One is made specifically to fix the other. So before we keep circling back it’s very clear I’m going to have to spell it out for you.

Here is the issue they had. They want server stability, and they want as many people to login as humanly possible.

So server stability, how did they deal with this in the past. The way they dealt with server stability in the past with releasing expacs/the original game was server ques. So they already ‘had’ systems to combat server stability. But this messes up the second thing they need to accomplish. Which was allowing as many people on as they could. This is why people were so afraid of sharding because they knew this is probably the only route they could go. Which is basically what layering is.

So to get rid of the issue of having server ques while also fixing the issue of server stability, they included layering. Layering doesn’t just fix server ques. But it was specifically made in order to get rid of the only other solution they had, which was server ques.

BRM is another example for me. After escaping TP, I get to the ramp, and 10-15 horde are on the ramp, 10-15 horde are at the door. A small respite as only 3 or 4 are in the hall, but another 10 await me at the end of the hall. So it’s either the same 10-15 just happen to be following me all the way through BRM or there are death squads every 10 to 15 yards from the ramp to the door to MC and another 5 or so by the entrance to BRD.

Even on my horde dominated server back in vanilla, we did not have enough people to provide this kind of coverage.

I know this is anecdotal, but I keep being told Sulfuras is one of the better ones for Alliance. I can’t imagine how bad it must be on an imbalanced server if this is supposedly even.

But that’s exactly what happened?
WTF is wrong with you lol

2 Likes

Or the OP can reroll as the dominant faction on a PvP server and get a carebear experience.

1 Like

I was on a really high pop server back in vanilla and as much as people say it wasn’t like this… it was :frowning: I remember sometimes having to corpse run my way into MC because of the 7 horde raids sitting outside or getting my face slammed into the ground trying to run through about 8 horde raids on the way to Naxxramas… dont even get me started on the BWL hallway. The server I was on was very horde heavy but we managed.

It got much better once BGs came around and all those honor hogs went to duke it out in battlegrounds.

Youtube raid videos from vanilla of blackrock mountain. The videos look scarily similar to todays blackrock mountain videos.

1 Like

This literally is a lie. HWL was an insane grind that took months and months of 16-24 hr/day battleground grinding. 40 mins of corpse running to MC is not even comparable.

1 Like

Wow ill bet theyre getting a whole 10 honor per kill. Thats some next level thirst

i expect blizzard to do nothing, it would be nice if they reduced server size though and have free transfers to any server for one month.

Oh are you talking about the infernal thing? Do you need me to prove you wrong? You understand it was changed prior to 1.12 to only attack the warlock, then people who attack it, then people who are flagged for pvp.

If you would like I for sure can show you a video of actual 1.12 vanilla of this being the case.

This is what I’m talking about. People do 0 research and claim it as fact.