Stop removing portals

If that’s honestly how you see the interactions in this thread, and others, I don’t know what to tell you.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Thanks to this change, and the attitude of Blizzard reps, I’ll be getting out more - right out of the house.

I’ve had about all I can take of the current management and their smug yes-men.

5 Likes

How would you seek the same information he’s seeking, but in a way that doesn’t insinuate incompetence or arrogance? Put yourself in the shoes of a CM approaching an easily triggered and highly emotional playerbase, seeking information about an upcoming change that you had absolutely no part in making.

2 Likes

You’re not getting it. The responses that you’re complaining about are the result of Blizzard developers failing to communicate. The blues are being used a the middlemen between players and developers and that’s why they get all the flack.

Whether or not you personally would want to talk to people isn’t an issue. You’re not a multi-billion dollar company.

1 Like

Are we sure this is just not a way to pad the “time spent online” metric of players?

This doesn’t make Azeroth feel more alive, it’s just an annoyance, and if I’m annoyed and something feels like work/homework, I’ll just do something else instead.

8 Likes

Portals in every major city to every major city. Easy, done. Along with the few odd portals to CoT, blasted lands, etc.

I think the bigger concern is the amount of CM response in a portal thread. When much bigger issues about the game have been spelled out in many threads with little to zero response. This type of behavior is feeding those that think blizzard does not care at all about players, and only is concerned about milking money.

This change to portals could even fit in that argument about time metrics/ milking money.

5 Likes

Easy.
“I realize many of you will not be happy about this news.
If you would like to write out which changes you feel most strongly about and why, I will relay your feedback to management.”

6 Likes

Look. I was originally excited about the idea of a major consolidated portal room in SW/ORG.

Pros:
It looks beautiful inside, the art is lovely.

Cons:
The portals are too spread out. I prefer the way the cities (ALL OF THE CITIES, EVEN DARNASSUS) are lined up in a cute little row in Legion Dalaran. Quick, efficient.

The portals still are not consolidated. The CATA portals are off on their own. The Darnassus/Boat portal is still on the dock. Not all city portals are in the portal room.

Legion Dalaran gave me a hearthstone and I could set my personal hearth to be very near to the faction portals / basement portals. How close can I hearth to this portal tower? It looks large and annoying to navigate (time waster).

But seriously stop removing portals. What If I am in SW / hearth to SW and want to go to Pandaria to turn something in / buy something off a vendor then continue my journey somewhere else? Do I have to hearth to get away from Shrine now? Travel with a continuous loop is better than brick walls.

PS: Jade forest is not more centralized than Shrine. Stop saying this is a better portal destination. The only thing it is closer to is Timeless Isle. Give us a Shrine portal and put portals in Shrine to outlying islands like Thunder Isle, Timeless Isle, and Oondasta isle. This war on travel needs to stop

12 Likes

He is here to gather information. Still. After all of the comments people have thrown at him. I’m surprised he even commented again. People want Blizz to communicate and this is how you respond? I’m not happy any more about this than you are, but have you been keeping track of Blue comments and efforts in the past few weeks? I have. Treating him like dirt isn’t going to get you anywhere. It’s embarrassing.

2 Likes

I am quite happy going to Legion Dalaran to access the portals to CoT, the Dalaran Crater and Kara. I see zero need to try to expand a portal room to include those portals when they currently are in the game.

I do see a need to change the Pandaria to the Shrine and the Legion Portal to Legion Dalaran for those places make sense, as they are the main bases for those xpacs.

1 Like

That’s quite literally what you’re doing lol he’s still here asking for honest feedback. If you don’t have anything to give, leave him alone and let him do his job.

The past is irrelevant to this. He’s here, now, asking for feedback and he’s getting attacked and insulted by many people instead. It’s uncalled for. It’s crazy to me that people actually defend that behavior. Players have BEGGED for this for how long now, do you really think acting this way is the right thing to do?

1 Like

Exactly. Making it frustrating to get around in your game doesn’t make the world feel “bigger”, it just frustrates people, and they go and play another game that doesn’t frustrate them to get around in.

2 Likes

Those are the only portal locations for these. Did you not know that, or are you playing a game with us that has nothing to do with wow?

5 Likes

It’s about access to those areas via portal, not just the location. Caverns of Time was also a portal in Wrath-Dalaran, so we’re talking about a long time portal, one in use since ~2008/2009, being removed under cover of feature. But really, each of those basement portals in Legion-Dalaran have good uses which this change removes in order to make Azeroth feel “alive.”

• Dalaran Crater: Winter Veil Holiday Boss, Accessibility to Arathi to farm Mounts/Pets/Transmog
  • Caverns of Time: Mount runs in Dragon Soul, Achievement runs in Dragon Soul/Hyjal/5-man dungeons, Transmog runs in Dragon Soul/Hyjal/5-man dungeons, Children’s Week questing
  • Wyrmrest Temple: Deaths of Chromie scenario (not as rough with Wrath-Dalaran Portal)
  • Karazhan: Raid Mount/Pet/Transmog/Achievement farming, Dungeon Mount/Transmog/Achievement farming
8 Likes

The world feels smaller actually. Everything is in SW now. I remember when SW and Ironforge had a ton of people in them. Now IF is a ghost town.

Portals to various places in the world made it MORE likely that I will go back to those places and do old quests/dungeons/raids. Travel is tedious as it is in wow. Long flight paths arent engaging in any way, its just a chance to afk and do stuff on my second monitor.

When each new expansion makes 99% of the entire rest of the game irrelevant, then yea the world is only going to feel as big as your current content.

10 Likes

Going to the trouble of taking QoL things away from us is utterly baffling to me. If there exists players who for whatever reason prefer to take flight paths and scenic routes, there have always been and probably always will be that option for them. Which is great! More options is always going to feel better for the player.

For those of us who want to save time on our mains (let alone alts!) for:

• transmog runs
  • achievement runs
  • pet collecting
  • mount collecting
  • loremaster progress

Taking away our options feels terrible. Making something that much more inconvenient will ensure that people will be less likely to revisit older content. And unless that’s the end goal, I don’t understand the reasoning behind taking away our options. Even “more time spent” is a ridiculous idea for those saying that’s the end goal, because I can just as easily… not spend that time at all and decide to do something else. Maybe I just farm content on my mage and druid now, for instance, where before I was doing it on multiple alts. This cannot possibly be the motivation?

Being told that the reasoning is to make the world feel bigger feels like a slap in the face, because again, I was able to have CHOICES before. Having every city besides the most recent one be a ghost town doesn’t make the game feel more alive either, no. Why take away some of the last few reasons to go visit those places?

I am literally posting for the FIRST TIME on these forums to say how upset I am by this change, which takes away options for me to get around the world. PLEASE just leave the portals for older content alone if the only other option is to remove them.

17 Likes

This is a better suggesting than my own-- Give us a Shrine Portal in the Portal room and reclaim the Shine to give Portals to MoP specific zones.

3 Likes

Will this also apply to portals to Undercity/Darnassus? Any level 111+ player characters would technically already have lost access to these cities in their respective timelines, and as such there shouldn’t be portals to these locations for them.

If not, because of convenience or other reasons players would like access to these cities that no longer apply to their levels, then why would such a restriction apply to the Dalaran portals for Legion content?

I like this idea.

The apples don’t fall far from the trees, apparently. This is the same sort of attitude that it feels like we get from the devs. “You don’t like the bits we are giving you, even though it wasn’t what you wanted or asked for? Fine, now you get nothing at all.”

Is this really how you wanted to come across?

2 Likes