Stop removing portals

Ah, I was worried something like this would eventually happen. Blizzard is always trying to “fix” something that was never broken to begin with.

3 Likes

While totally ignoring the complaints people actually have about the game.

“Class design is fine, all the players are just too stupid to realize it.” - Blizzard

11 Likes

Yeah, they liked spinning up these fantasies about how the world would be without flying. Too bad they forgot to talk with the quest designers.

4 Likes

Make me be lead dev for a couple of weeks and I’ll bring back everything players loved that was taken away over the years. I’ll be the hero we all need.

3 Likes

they can use their Legion hearthstone.

What about the nutty player who wants to port to Dalaran 10x in 10min, just to prove to Blizzard that the HS won’t cut it?!

On a slightly more serious note – what’s in Azsuna that makes it the chosen zone?
IMO the portal should go to the non-instanced version of Eye of Azshara. Just for kicks and the near-fatigue inducing flight back to anything useful.

5 Likes

This is my question. Who even goes to Azuna or the Jade Forest for that matter. Perhaps those in charge have some weird love for those two zones.

The dev attitude toward flight really seems to be a symptom of a larger issue with the design philosophy in the current game. All too often, the devs appear to be more invested in creating strictures that will ensure players engage with the game in a way the devs find satisfying (“we work hard on this world and we want you to see and appreciate it”), rather than focusing on creating an enjoyable experience for the player.

12 Likes

The Jade Forest is fine if you’re going to the Timeless Isle. It just sucks if you’re trying to go almost anywhere else in Pandaria.

And it’s annoying how stingy they’re being now, when the portal rooms are supposed to be expandable for future content. So they should just start expanding them now to fit the existing portals instead of pruning options.

4 Likes

The difference is, YOU get PAID to play WoW.

While we pay your salary while paying for access to play.

Huge difference.

If I were making money while on a Griffin Taxi, I’d probably feel like my time wasn’t being wasted since I’d be receiving monetary compensation.

As I’m actually doing the polar opposite, as in paying to not play the actual game while traveling to the location in game where I’ll be able to reengage and actually PLAY, it feels as though that time should be rebated back to my account accordingly.

4 Likes

you really think that’s what employees do all day?

1 Like

Let’s say you’re only playing 2 hours a day, 3 days a week, so 24 hours total out of a month. Your $15 tithe divided by 1440min (24h) = $0.10 per minute.

The longer you play, the smaller that amount gets.

Points for trying, Blizzard. But you’re not fooling anybody. You can’t make a content-light expansion feel bigger by removing all the portals and thereby making it take an hour or more for people to get to places they could in a matter of minutes. Just one more example of how this expansion is WoW going downhill.

If you felt like the portals were a problem, why add them in the first place? This “add portals, then later remove them” has been a thing for a while. It was fine before, because we always got them added back in the new “city” when an expansion came out. At this point, people have become so used to having them that removing them is just disturbing the way people play. I guess that’s your goal? Obviously you guys have resigned WoW to flopping, and don’t really care what happens now. This decision makes that painfully obvious.

17 Likes

It’s a confluence of decisions. They time gate flying now (using the immersive excuse), they mess around with established portal networks to slow us down or fake immersion, there is significantly less stuff to do.

I really want to know who in Anaheim is green-lighting all of this crap.

3 Likes

At this point I doubt we can change your mind, Blizzard, but on the off-chance Bornakk sees this, can I beg for a compromise?

How about including a Waygate in the chamber where we can pick a portal from the list that are being removed, pay a thousand gold and have that portal present that way? Throw a week cooldown on the purchase, or whatever, but being able to choose one portal we really want long-term is better than losing them all.

I hate to bring this up but; are we at a point where we have to beg for a compromise to a stupid decision they seem intent on making? Why can’t they just not do stupid things? We shouldn’t have to beg for not removing QoL features they themselves put in.

I don’t know if it’s because they just want the game to die, or if these decisions are being made by a tick the box, board of directors that haven’t played a game in their life. But this really needs to stop.

16 Likes

I’ve worked for three software companies doing tech support, then as a QA Test Engineer, so, yes.

And if it takes 5min to get to my destination by taxi, that’s 50¢ per flight.

1 Like

Yeah, just…sheesh. There’s 2 raids and a handful of instances in CoT, and they all have Stuff and Things in them. That people might want. Coyote hat. Maybe someone just wants to look at how weird Medivh looks in Black Morass for a while. My mage got exalted with the Hyjal raid faction trying for the boots off the 3rd boss (never got them, they finally dropped for my lock, at least…and twice for a warrior…who is also exalted >>)

Not to mention the Blazing Drake that still refuses to drop…

What do you think we’re doing in CoT? CoT stuff.

12 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love for them to stop removing things for the sake of removing them/padding out downtime, and even more than that I’ve love for them to adopt any number of recommendations/suggestions I think will drastically improve the game for collection-focused players, but at this point I feel like this portal thing is a done deal and the best we can hope for is a shallow semi-useful bone to be thrown our way.

Obviously my ideal world would have every portal we currently have set up in the portal rooms.

1 Like