Stop justifying your new system by breaking old ones

Blizzard -

You just got done doing this with your new portal room and you saw just how mad the community got over the removal of portals that you still haven’t brought back.

Now you’re making a new system for “mount equipment” and removing existing functionality from a mount to justify the new system’s existence. People are mad. I’m mad.

STOP doing this. My initial reaction to hearing this after dealing with the portal fiasco is I’m done with your game.

Forum Mod Edit: This post has been edited by a moderator due to masked language as it is in violation of the Code of Conduct.

84 Likes

They don’t respect the players time or effort in this game anymore. RIP. Like what is the point of this game if they are going to yank anything you earn?

58 Likes

Yeah, you get it. Blizzard doesn’t. Hubris gets in the way, IMO.

6 Likes

Mounts and transmogs where the last thing that players could earn with lasting value that isn’t hard reset after each patch.

Gearing is made meaningless with the release of a new patch and scaling changes.

So players avoid doing BFA content and farm mounts and transmog since those are the only things left in this game with lasting value.

16 Likes

They’re not removing existing functionality? If you want to keep waterwalking just use the waterwalking equipment. It’s only lost for levels 20-40 where you hardly ever cross any bodies of water anyway.

3 Likes

I guess we shouldn’t be surprised by these types of changes anymore given the recent interviews where Ion described the azerite system being designed to address a problem with artifact weapons in Legion the devs saw, but that the players didn’t. The result was the loss of artifact weapons that players generally liked and a new azerite system that players almost universally despise and that even the devs now admit needs major reworking.

This water strider nerf/mount equipment system seems to this dumb cow to be yet another example illustrating how the people making these decisions (A) really don’t play their own game anymore, (B) live in an insular bubble in which they think theoretically about how the game should be played vs. how players actually play the game, © - putting on the tinfoil hat for a moment - is just another distraction intentionally designed to focus the player base’s ire in yet another forum conflagration so that, for a little while, the players aren’t complaining about BfA as a whole, or (D) is really just due to plain incompetence.

I just yearn for the days when major content patches could be releases without these sorts of controversial decisions, when people just looked forward to new things and improvements to the game instead of the new patch build up sparking yet another round of player outcry, controversy, and predictions about the imminent death of the game.

But what do I know, since I’m just a big dumb bovine.

/moo :cow:

32 Likes

Except, they are absolutely removing existing functionality. Something you could do a week ago, you can no longer do. But look! Blizzard has given you a solution to that problem (just ignore that they created the problem to begin with).

34 Likes

What functionality is that?

Without specific equipment, the azure/crimson water striders can no longer walk over water. Additionally, those mounts can no longer walk on water, period, for any character under Level 100 (exception being Shaman, due to a Class Perk).

Thus, any character who A) does not have the mount perk equipped, and B) is not yet at level 100, completely loses something that they were perfectly capable of doing before this system goes live.

19 Likes

Why couldn’t they just leave the striders the way they are and carry on with the equipment on everything else exactly?

20 Likes

I have nothing nice to say about the diablo B team. Hopefully the A team making the next expansion will do better.

11 Likes

"Without specific equipment, the azure/crimson water striders can no longer walk over water. "
This isn’t removing functionality. This is giving you a CHOICE of functionality. If a restaurant changes their menu from offering only steak to steak AND burgers you don’t say they removed options. They added more. If you want waterwalking all you have to do is choose it.

You can’t use a mount below level 20 and 60+ you have flight. So it’s really only 20-60 that are inconvenienced. And I can count on one hand how many bodies of water you need to cross in that level range. That being said, I agree it’d be nice if mount equipment was useable at all levels.

Edit: My ONE concession turns out is already solved by Blizzard:

3 Likes

Because anyone who legitimate likes the strider mount would be stuck using specifically only water walking. Which is also crappy. If you want to waterwalk, just put on water walking. It’s literally that easy.

1 Like

They can add equipment for water walking on other mounts without removing the passive from the striders.

22 Likes

That would make too much sense. But this current dev team is on a prune spree since WoD to remove anything made from the previous dev team. No respect for what players earned and no respect for the previous dev team.

8 Likes

You entirely missed my point. If they did that it would mean people who WANT to use the strider for it’s looks will not get a choice. They will either not get the same choice as everyone else in mount equipment or they will have to avoid using the strider.

Yeah! Pruning! Removing water walking from one mount and adding a new system that allows any of a multitude of effects!

That’s adding complexity not reducing.

I’m not too sure on the details right now with all of the info flying around, but what choice would be missing exactly?

This is portal prune all over again. The net effect is negative for the overall health of this game moving forward.

7 Likes

Perhaps reading the other 30 threads on this topic will quell your anger, its really not bad at all

1 Like