Stop Frost Novaing in dungeons

Wait, you’re using 2005 addons or 2019 addons?

It’s a well known fact that everyone playing Classic is playing with more addons than anyone that played Vanilla, who played with a most, five addons total.

And since this is a conversation, i brought meters into the conversation dude. That’s what a discussion is. Try and keep up. Meters are part of addons, i was just surprised that as a tank, you opted not to use addons. Way back in Vanilla, Omen was a popular threat addon.

A tank is nothing without their healer, and the group’s dps helps to kill bosses. If you don’t plan on playing well with others, then you’ll quickly find yourself getting kicked from the group - that’s how parties work.

1 Like

Wait you forgot to explain how doing a shatter combo drastically speeds up your clear speeds. You’re just saying words like they are self explanatory after the OP broke down exactly how doing these things directly slows down dungeon progress.

If we have a smooth pull, me spam swiping, no chasing mobs around, ez kill, move to the next, thats smooth and efficient.

You must be talking about spell cleaves with everyone in disc just busting it out, in which case a tank is almost not even needed hence running 4 mages/healer combos for leveling dungeons.

I’m actually discussing real dungeons, at 60, with actual realistic comps. Not 3 mages.

I’m talking to a warlock that infernos every pull and expects the healer and tank to keep them up so I’m obviously not going to get anywhere talking to you, there’s no point in even trying

Yikes

4 Likes

Oh I have a dps meter I just don’t use it.

So I turn my dps meter on as a tank. Okay.

Now what? What did I gain? Lmfao I seriously can’t breathe please stop :joy:

Of course I have a threat meter lmfao. Those are two completely different things. Of course I’m running a threat meter while tanking.

Try to keep up with the actual English language and things with different names being different things :joy:

Well said. Tanks do needs healers. Very profound.

Thanks for explaining how parties work. Tell that to the mages who leave when I explain any of this to them in a polite way

2 Likes

Amen. So far all the mages I’ve run with are really good with their Blizzards and Novas. In fact, the Mage saved my butt a few times. I have a tendency to steal aggro from the tank (guess I attack too soon? I wait about 8 seconds before going) and he would nova the group whenever they swapped to me or the healer. He would then just blizzard everything. Tank held aggro just fine from him and it never made us screw up our pulls or anything. If anything it made the run so much easier. It made it so I could go ballistic as a hunter and was fun!

1 Like

I did explain it. It does lots of damage. Killing things faster speeds up the run. It’s a pretty simple concept.

Yeah? Mage/Lock/Warrior tank/Hpriest/random pug dps farming pre-bis at 60. Is that realistic?

Yeah, because it makes the run go a lot faster if all the DPS are blasting. Why do you want to do dungeons more slowly than you need to?

5 Likes

Okay, so what part of the OP was incorrect? You seem like one of those people that just like to argue.

If I made a mistake in theorycraft with my OP by all means let’s hear it. You can do equivalent damage with more control by not using frost nova as a dps mechanic and using it as a control mechanic. You’ve literally said nothing to refute that point.

It actually sounds like you’re on my side, just trying to argue or brag or something I’m not sure what. I never really understood people like yourself, maybe you’re just trolling :man_shrugging:

Nobody cares how fast your speedruns are bro. What are you like 15? :laughing:

5 Likes

Sounds like that falls into the category I mentioned earlier about controlling a group before it gets to the ranged or healer. Not using frost nova as a dps mechanic or doing it mid pull.

Sounds to me like a smart use of frost nova, and as you said the mage was dpsing with blizzard. Sounds normal to me, has nothing to do with the OP and points I was making.

Normally for me if I use nova it’s defensively rather than offensively. Usually I’ll wait 2 second on a pull then cast blizzard and if I notice mobs beginning to walk my direction I will cone then nova (I don’t have shatter talented yet so go figure)… back up then continue to blizzard. This combo always means maximum safety for me and I’m rarely threatened which is swiftly fixed with a cold snap to reset my mistakes… so not sure about this I love frost nova and it’s utility to me

3 Likes

Bad advice, nova is great, just wait for mobs to be grouped and give the tank a sec to grab aggro

5 Likes

Ya, you’re being really weird about this, dude. This is the way it works in every group I’ve been in. Everyone is blasting through dungeons at 60 because they’re a joke. I’m not being braggadocious.
I’ll try and be as simple and concise as possible. Mages use nova->cone because it’s enormous dmg and they should be doing so. It’s not thought of as ‘bad’ by the ‘in the know’ community (lol??). You don’t have to worry about using it for control. People understand how nova works (frozen mobs will hit the closest target) and move away accordingly.

5 Likes

It seems to me like the group would’ve been better served by that mage slowing the group with a cone or blizzard so the tank could’ve taunted the free mob en route to you so he didn’t have to blow frost nova or you could’ve held off a little bit for him to get threat.

But again these are higher level mage plays, and I would call that mage’s level of play acceptable, but definitely not optimal. I don’t see why nova had to be blown in that situation

And of course since nova was blown, all the downsides to root mechanics mentioned in the OP were then introduced to the pull.

Ie hypothetical rogue now in danger of taking damage if tank not in range of those mobs etc etc etc

You seem to be very dense & not quite comprehending how to use your Recount or Details. Or do you not look through the various information as needed?

It’s late, so i’m off to bed but’m feeeling sorry for any groups that have to run with a plodding tank as you.

As for keeping OT, may i remind you that you originally said that you don’t have meters & now you say that you do.

So which is it?

1 Like

Yeah, this is really bad advice.

Mages, keep using Frost Nova. Just wait for the mobs to be gathered and it won’t matter if they’re frozen in place. They can still hit the tank to generate threat with Thorns and the tank can still rotate to Swipe different targets.

4 Likes

Wait did you just tell me that not staring at meters makes me a bad player?

You must be a retail reroll lmfao. Dude I don’t even know the name of my threat add-on. It’s like classic threat or something

But here’s the real question: what does any of this have to do with this conversation? Lmfao

This isn’t a threat discussion. This is a fundamental mechanics discussion. Jesus Christ go back to BFA before I pee :laughing:

PLEASE go to bed you are obviously tired. Arguing about proper use of DPS add-ons on a thread about root mechanics and their effects on group dynamics. It is way past your bed time :joy:

2 Likes

Reiterating for OP that she wrote that she doesn’t have meters (then wrote that she does, just not dps ones), then in the same breath dismisses the importance of dps.

Smh, this girl’s a piece of work.

It’s super frustrating getting grouped with overly sensitive tanks, such as yourself. If the DPS doesn’t preform precisely to your liking they are gonna hear about it or just get kicked.

I bet you’re tired of telling every mage that he’s bad because frost nova bad, aren’t you? That’s why you’ve made your silly little PSA, anyways, eh?

3 Likes

Wrong. Frost Nova breaks from damage at differing times based on damage taken resulting in fractured group packs.

This concept still really isn’t sinking in is it? Why are we using frost nova when the mobs are under control, there’s no runners, and no threat to the healer?

Why are you shatter spec at level 60?

Why are you including frost Nova into your dps rotation?

I have so many questions. Just why? And the more questions I ask the scarier any possible answer you can give me becomes.

Look you can play however you want, just recognize that it’s bad, and doing it makes you a bad player.

As the dude who replied second said, just let em die until they learn. A mage frost novaing the tank target is a learned mage. A based and redpilled mage.

A mage worthy of having on your friends list

1 Like

If I have to read one more post about some knucklehead grouping all mages together I’m going to start making some interesting threads of my own. I’ve accumulated a good number of cautionary tales that I can unload at any time.

3 Likes

I let it fly until it starts causing problems or killing the healer. If the dungeon is getting done efficiently I have nothing to say. Why are you saying I’m sensitive?

This is a PSA to mages in general that if you’re doing this you’re bad. That’s all. Lol

If there were classic mage forums this would be pinned there

Let’s hear it man. Bad players need to be told their bad.

I only resolved to make this thread after the 5th group in a row had a mage who did the exact same thing.

Pull. Mid pull Nova. Cone of cold.

It’s bad. And the person doing it is a bad player and needs to know

Okay? That doesn’t matter if you hold aggro.

That’s been explained to you numerous times. It’s for the DPS.

Because not everyone raids and it’s better for dungeons and soloing?

Because it greatly increases the criticial strike chance of your Cone of Cold.

More DPS. Faster runs. Mobs die faster, so less damage taken from the tank, less healer mana spent casting heals.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

I’m surprised a troll managed to level to 60 before posting on the forums. Impressive.

5 Likes