Still no Rainbow/Pride transmog options?

3 Likes

LGBTQ representation in Wow

LGBTQ+ characters

Developer statements

In the open Q&A at BlizzCon 2011, one of the questions was: “There really hasn’t been a large representation of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender characters in the World of Warcraft lore. Are there any chances to change that in the future?” Chris Metzen’s reply was “We have I don’t know how many quest designers. Probably seven? So there’s a lot of people that plug away on story for this thing and certainly, like, our CDev’s department’s always chasing fiction and hooking characters and stuff like that, and we totally appreciate every component of our audience and want the game to kind of sing to everybody, so… Off the top of my head, I don’t know if we’re currently developing gay or lesbian characters but it’s certainly a possibility. As long as the story’s compelling… I think everything’s gravy as long as it’s just a really good character, well-rounded character that people really respond to, so I think it’s totally an open possibility.”[23]

In a July 2020 interview with Eurogamer, while discussing the Shadowlands character Pelagos (see below), executive producer John Hight stated that “WoW is a game that doesn’t try to emphasise sexual relationships so in that regard, we don’t necessarily tell that part of the story other than to hint around it. But we certainly have characters [that have] - or we’ve always thought of characters as having - different gender identities in the game. We don’t try to put a big focus on it and make it a big deal, we just try to make the game feel comfortable, friendly and approachable for everybody in the game, regardless of where they come from.” When asked if this meant that there are transgender characters in content predating Shadowlands, Hight replied, “Knowing some of our designers and having conversations with them, I’m sure that was the intent. But we like to keep things subtle.”[24]

In an interview with Wowhead around the same time, lead narrative designer Steve Danuser stated that “I think it’s a valuable thing that we show these different perspectives [on gender and sexuality] on Azeroth and want to really make clear that, you know, there’s people who sometimes say, “Well, Warcraft is this medieval fantasy game and those kinds of things weren’t talked about in medieval times, so they shouldn’t be in Azeroth,” but I disagree with that. I think that Azeroth is a world of magic and a world of possibilities, and one of the things that’s really important to know is that, in Azeroth, you can love who you want, you can identify yourself the way that you want, and all of those things are possibilities. We just want the game to be able to reflect that through its storylines, and through its character customization options, and we’re really excited about that.”[25]

World of Warcraft

1 Like