Stewards, Dredgers, and Stoneborn are slave races

Both Bastion and Revendreth seem to run on the backs of magically created races of fully sapient, autonomous beings who literally live to serve.

Stewards and Dredgers seem to have similar roles, they do the dirty, thankless, inglorious tasks needed to keep the planes running so that the actual souls sent there don’t have to worry about it. There is a clear sense that this is “their place”, beneath their social betters. They’re even depicted as small creatures, towered over by the main races of their realms to reinforce the idea of them as less-than.

It’s clear that they are not without complaint for their station in life. Several stewards appear to desperately want the ability to fly, as kyrian society is entirely based around that, the physical structure of their buildings and simple accessibility make those with wings the haves, and those without the have nots. It seems like a great way to psychologically manipulate aspirants into being willing to give up everything they are for the simple freedom to get around conveniently. But despite that kyrian have the ability to bestow wings, the idea of giving them to stewards never seems to even be considered. Venthyr blatantly mistreat their dredgers, demanding their labor even while resenting their presence, without qualms about destroying their individuality by merging them together into bigger dredgers. Many grumble about this treatment, but none do anything.

The Stoneborn are arguably even worse. Though they seem to be thinking, feeling beings, not automatons like the constructs in Bastion, they are created to be expendable cannon fodder soldiers in Venthyr conflicts, and even turned off and on again at the convenience of their masters, turning them to stone and simply placing them in suspended animation until they’re useful. The idea that they have any entitlement to lives of their own is never considered.

Now, to be clear, I have nothing against the fictional depiction of flawed or dystopian societies, nor do I think that anyone will suddenly become a slavery apologist after playing WOW. But I’m a little creeped out that the game does not seem to recognize or present this as a flaw. These creatures are never shown rebelling against their low station or mistreatment in any meaningful way, if they’re depicted as anything other than perfectly content in eternal servitude it’s played for laughs. The player is never invited to question this system and has no option to do so. The best you can do is give a steward a fruit. That’s it, that’s their reward for all they do, once in a while they’ll be given a pat on the head and a piece of fruit. It’s sad and Dickensian.

And we are simply meant to accept this status quo as a normal way for things to be. It seems a little obtuse to endorse a racial caste system as one watches the news over the past year. Shouldn’t steward, dredger, and stoneborn lives get to matter too?

7 Likes

Dredgers get paid.

3 Likes

All living beings are resource-dependent. Stoneborn turn to stone when they run out of Anima, sure, but when humans run out of food, we die.

I’d say they got the better deal on that one.

6 Likes

Practically everyone in the Shadowlands is a slave race, with the Slavemaster being the Purpose. Every realm that we have seen in the Shadowlands is built on the pillar of a certain type of duty. And none of them get an obvious reward for such duty, aside from continued existence.

Even the Arbiter is a slave to this system, forced to continue her duty with no obvious reward or consideration for her own desires.

5 Likes
6 Likes

So stewards are basically mind broken slaves that are born with the mind broken thing.

Basically they are living tools. whose only purpose is automated behaviour and automated working. And everything else. Basically a slave, but they are not “owned” by someone.

Kyrestia or whatever Stupid Angel Supreme’s name is.

wait what? The archon owns them?

Archon seems to own everyone in bastion.

I’m not sure slave race is all that accurate tbh, Dredgers get paid, as people have said, and the Stoneborn are literally created by the Stonewright, are very duty-bound by nature, and hold ranks of high esteem in Revendreth. The Stonewright herself even refers to them as her children, and refuses to commit them to a war where they’ll die needlessly. You might as well call the elementals of the Firelands slave races, because they work for the Firelord.

Stewards seem to actively dislike not working, though we don’t know their origins beyond that they’re native to Bastion. You go to their vacation spot and there are multiple Stewards grumbling that they’re being made to take a break, but many of their jobs have them working right alongside the Kyrian, doing the exact same thing. It’s unknown if they get paid, but… how the heck do you pay anyone in the afterlife that involved as few attachments to living world things as possible? Barring those fruits you can give them… which also points to them not being slave races, you can literally pay the Forsworn Stewards off so they pretend they didn’t see you, directly going against their job.

I don’t know, just seems like a pretty strong and odd term to toss around when we’ve seen other societies in WoW who operate on serving a greater purpose.

16 Likes

Essentially this. The Archon and the other Eternal Ones perpetuate and enforce the system, of which most of the denizens of the Shadowlands are a part of. Said denizens don’t really have a choice but to follow, or suffer the consequences, which range from banishment to imprisonment to outright destruction.

Which is sort of the whole point Sylvanus is making when claims that we have no free will.

1 Like

Welcome to corporate America…

3 Likes

Stoneborn make choices of who they want to fight for. So they have free will to fight for whom they want.

The game shouldn’t be telling you what to think all the time. It already does enough of that.

so like I have been saying they are basically robots.

Not having any other options does not make getting paid much different than being a slave. Unlike say, in a typical mixed economy, where even with the necessity of a job for the vast majority there is an actual choice of job and (for the most part) protections against abuses. And even with all the holes and issues in meritocracies, it is far better than having one sort of job you are really meant for and being subject to abuse and disdain. The dredgers basically live in the bottom level of a caste system.

2 Likes

Dredgers are paid in infused rubies and trade items for them from my understanding. Stoneborn don’t really have living expenses outside of Anime. I know 0 about bastion because I hate that place. It’s arguable that outside of the winter quean
/ denathrius and them nobody gets paid anything.

1 Like

We visit 5 realms out of an infinite number of them. Given the size and scope of unending afterlives, I’d wager we’re dealing with a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of all the souls in the Shadowlands who work in/for these “key realms”.

I knew those gargoyles were weebs.

6 Likes

The really are. I am not even editing that to change because its hilarious. Just imagining Draven with a waifu pillow.

2 Likes

No, but it should give me the choice to. My character should at least be able to prompt some dialogue lines from someone by clicking on a bubble that says “but wait, why are Stewards born into servitude?” My choice if I click that bubble based on what I think my character would do.