Stealth ability doesn’t feel stealthy because of Spy

Changes? You mean fixing the artificially expanded 200 yard range combat log back to the original vanilla 50 yard range?

1 Like

It was 200 yards in vanilla

Did you read the blue post on it recently?

In 1.12 the combat log WAS NOT 200 yards. Confirmed by blizzard.

But I assume you have better expert knowledge on this issue?

By the way, thank you WoW developers! You have made a great game even greater, and continue making excellent choices and fixing issues that have arisen. I am a very happy customer!!

1 Like

Earlier today, we deployed a WoW Classic hotfix to all regions:

• The in-game combat log radius has been fixed, and now only displays information for units that are within 50 yards of the player.

This is closer to the original behavior of WoW 1.12, and should eliminate the ability for addons to extend players’ senses and detect enemy actions at a greater distance than intended.

This fix does not affect text logs that the game outputs for raid parses.

This blue post?
You need to understand what it is talking about

There is combatlog the function
And Combat Log the UI element

1 Like

No, the intention was to keep the Combat Log shorter since most folks didn’t modify its range without a performance hit, but the /console command has worked for 15 years. That’s already been discussed in this thread.

As for the range change, this is actually great news! Before the log range was variable in game and plenty of things could alter it, making Spy attempting to determine radii spammy and problematic. Now that it is fixed at 50yds, triangulation calculations will be much more manageable using synchronous pings.

I do hope the Spy authors attempt to do so on the next update!

1 Like

Might actually have an addon developed that allows you to pinpoint to the yard of where a stealth player is at.

With fixed radii, and known coordinates for the Spy users, it just becomes an intersecting circles problem where the detected enemy is within a limited area. Since it wouldn’t be exact, save for two people detecting the same event at essentially their respective max ranges, you’d just need a few coordinates for the overlap area to then plot a coordinate point that is in the center of that area.

It wouldn’t be a perfect ping to be sure, but the fact that it would give you a generalized direction would be an improvement.

Be pretty hard to do, as the API does not communicate to you
the LOC of the other person.

Suppose you could try and have the add on do a bunch of math and try by triangulation, but that would seem to make for a performance sucking addon?
And for what? I think most people, especially rogues, tend to move, a lot

I don’t know, would it be performance sucking? We’re talking circles and their intersections here, and if you hard code the equations, does it really eat that much computation to do a few lines of multiplication/division?

The math could be very simplified, and would mostly be linear equations.

Not sure, but being it has to work within the framework and limitations of the addon environment, i suppose it could be.

Still not sure how terribly useful it would be.
All it would tell is Bob cast stealth, roughly about here.
Does not tell you that Bob has now circled around 300 yards and just murdered your priest friend and has snuck off giggling deciding on the next victim

I mean, I know things like range indicators in DBM just use the simple equation for a line like we all learned in Algebra to tell you how close you are to other people for things like Onyxia Fireball, and that’s persistently running as you move about.

This would be a single run-through assuming it saw more than one ping for the same event.

Imagine 3 players with intersecting circles that overlap on a 5 yard point - we now know it can only be within 50 yards max. 3 addons all get the ping. 1 second later 1 player has moved outside of this range and only 2 of the addons get another ping. That ping could only have come from 1 5 yd spot.

Add some communication code to sync addon data relative to your personal coords and you are there. It wont happen all the time but it has the potential to pinpoint an enemy target.

Well if Bob is stealthed, 2 other players wont get anything.

Once he is in stealth, he is off the radar until he chooses not to be.

What if Bob dismounts creating the first ping, casting stealth creates the second?

I think if you are going to scan for every time someone mounts and dismounts, it is going to get ugly.

You realize i can go from shadowmeld to mounted to stealth to mounted again then back to shadowmeld then back into stealth, without stopping, and plaster the map with pings all over which will
probably not do anything useful aside from announcing “this guy is a spaz”

EDIT: yes, i stop to shadowmeld

So you’re simultaneously saying that:

1. It doesn’t triangulate you and provide your coordinates, but;

2. It does triangulate you and you’re hoping it gets improved?

You’ve got to be trolling now man.

The addon already scans every single entry in the combat log

And the addon is updated with fresh information in realtime - the coords are based on your location at the time of the combat log entry, not the enemies. More updates = more information saved = more updates to sync to other addons = higher chance of the enemies actual position being reduced from a 50 yard radius.

Go look at how much data is constantly flowing in your combat log. Anytime you do anything, its in a log that is a live feed to the server. All of that data comes back to you for players in a now 50 yrd circle around you, instead of a 200 yrd circle.

You really need to work on your reading comprehension.

Above you have said it doesn’t show coordinates and triangulate you.

No it does not. 200 yards is alot of range and alot of information.

It now has a better chance of doing so with some extra code and luck, being that a 50 yard rage is easier to manage, and cross reference other spy users.

1 Like