Stat squish for TWW? Health numbers well over 1million and climbing right now

First let me say i understand the argument on the one side for ever increasing numbers and the visual feel of it that you are more powerful.

That being said… surely we can agree that short of crossing the one million threshold we could use a stat squish across the board. At a certain point the text and numbers become so large that people quite literally say they use % numbers on everything because the health/mana bars can’t even display the full number anyway as it stands.

I’m in no way arguing to make people “weaker” in regards to what they are capable of doing now. I’m simply saying the numbers themselves have reached that point that they feel ridiculous looking at and not in any good way.

If we go into the next expansion having tank with 5 or 10 million health, healing spells that heal for 1 million, and damage that would not surprise me hitting 1 million as well is just visually to much.

At a certain point it gets harder to feel if something is worthwhile in numbers when they are that big. It’s like in Diablo 3 where at a certain point you ignore the numbers because they are so big and are just asking: am i alive and did i kill the creature.

2 Likes

guess what

they are doing a squish in midnight

2 Likes

Why?

Why is that “too much”?

4 Likes

While that’s nice that they are I’m worried about the time between then and now. Would it not make more sense being that this is a 3 part campaign arc to do the stat squish before all this starts?

1 Like

no and i want big numbers back like we had in legion

fun times.

6 Likes

At a certain point the text and numbers become so large that people quite literally say they use % numbers on everything because the health/mana bars can’t even display the full number anyway as it stands.

2 Likes

why dont you let blizz worry about that

1 Like

14 Likes

You can set your status text to show percentages instead of raw numbers. Should be in the options.

1 Like

I always use percentage numbers on everything no matter what they are; that’s why there are so many abilities that work when enemies are under 20% or 30%.

The only thing I can think of that cares about actual health numbers is Touch of Death, and we just use a WA to tell us when that pops. :laughing:

2 Likes

Please no. The squishes(and Pathfinder) killed WoW.

5 Likes

theres a squish in midnight sadly

so let me ask an honest question: by your own comment you use % numbers. That not necessarily an argument “for” large numbers but that you use % instead.

Does that mean you would not care one way or the other if the number swere smaller or bigger? I ask because if they are bigger than it would still seem to have no effect on you, and if they are smaller the same still applies right?

So that brings me to my point for some of us on the visual aspect of using the larger numbers and wanting to move away from them being so big as they are in the millions ( and not necessarily running % for everything).

1 Like

I’ve had over a million health at multiple points in WoW’s history.

Didn’t bother me.

Didn’t bother anyone I ever met, or played with.

I just find some peoples’ arithmophobia to be baffling. All the squishes ever did was:

1. Take away some peoples’ joy at seeing ever-increasing progress over time
  2. Introduce new problems every squish, because Blizzard has never been able to get a squish right
  3. Introduced unfettered ilvl inflation. Blizzard just bumped it another 39 ilvls from Amirdrassil to S4. And then they’ll bump it another 200 ilvls when TWW comes out, and then another 40 ilvls after that.

And this is all while Blizzard wrings their hands and clutches their pearls and screams “HOWWWWW DID THIS HAPPEN” and tells us they need to squish the numbers again.

Blizzard, your developers’ addiction to ilvl inflation as a cheap bread & circuses stunt is how it happened. If you actually think it’s a problem, then knock it off with the constant ilvl inflation.

Sorry, but I simply find Blizzard’s two-faced “ilvl/stat inflation is a huge problem - so we’re going to do more of it!” handwringing to be offensive, just on a professional level.

6 Likes

I will never advocate for number squishes. Number go up diplomacy forever. If people cant read big numbers, skill issue.

2 Likes

I’ll even add on another aspect. So lets set aside health/mana bars for a moment and look at abilities. You can’t very well put on abilities, " deals 2% damage to boss". So there is a case for smaller numbers there that % numbers can’t address.

Thing is, they never said it was a problem, they know ilvl inflation causes squishes, but they already said its fine to do squishes.

And I’d rather just have ilvl inflation without squishes

Ghostcrawler did when he did his whole “squish or mega-damage” blog post, which is where it all started.

1 Like

Stat squishes destroyed all structure to the WoW world.
Personally I don’t think it was worth it. The community would have simply squashed the numbers ourselves.

Is it really a big deal to say 30T DPS verse 30K DPS

3 Likes

that’s not blizzes current stance.

They will squish as needed because you have to give a certain increase in ilvl for upgrades to feel fun