SSD just for WoW

You could try reinstalling Windows on the 111 one and do SL on the larger one. That leaves you room for expansion.

My justification for using my suggestion is that it’s typically recommended to leave as much space free on an SSD so as to leave space for what we call ‘overprovisioning’.

On your 111 one - if you were installing WoW that would leave 35 gb left. Still plenty of space and probably not a huge concern BUT it is writing in the same free space more often and would reduce the lifespan of your SSD faster than doing it on a larger space. This becomes more of a concern if the free space is reduced to 10% of the drive.

Thank you.

Basically I just wanna ask for advice on what SSd to get. I’m in Australia, so will check availability and price. So what would be a decent budget SSD please?

I was wondering if you have to reinstall WoW on SSD or what?

Mr. Meriweather is building me a new machine for SL. I’ve been on Mac for many reasons for years, and I will keep the Mac for my other work. I’m basically getting a tricked out machine for WoW alone, and I’m so excited.

He’s giving me an M.2 SSD, and I cannot wait to see my loading screens go by like lightning.

You can just copy the files over. Then at the battlnet launcher, if it can’t find it you can click to locate it, then it will know where to look. You may need to make a new shortcut on desktop.

1 Like

Yes and No!!! Basically, if your going from WoW that is already installed on say your HDD, and want to move it to an installed SSD, all you have to do is copy the files from the HDD and install them on the SSD.

You would then go into your blizzard launcher options and change where WoW is downloading information too.

Once you do all that, the launcher will ask you to install the game, but it only takes a couple of seconds.

2 Likes

Thank you. Yep I was also thinking about the shortcut too.

It should be doable, but if your comfortable opening it up (and assuming it isn’t soldered to the motherboard like some manufacturers are starting to do) you would probably be much better off replacing the 111gb SSD with a larger one. Just make sure you get the right kind, if it’s connected to an M.2 slot you’ll need an M.2 SSD, otherwise you’ll need a SATA SSD.

It will not be an internal one but external.

Same process, external will just be a little slower (unless you aren’t using USB 3, in which case it will be a lot slower).

1 Like

The desktop I have is not upgradable and I don’t have the money to buy another desktop. I prefer desktops over laptops. Also having an external SSD, you can take the SSD anywhere and plug it into another desktop or even a laptop.

For the desktop shortcut; you should be able to right click on it and change the path.

1 Like

I’d actually stick with Samsung or, for a lower-priced option, Crucial. A lot of the super cheap ones have no RAM and really suffer for it when it comes to sustained performance. You’ll also need to decide what type to get. A SATA model will work with pretty much any computer, while a m.2 will require a m.2 slot, which your computer may or may not have. Also, if you opt for a m.2 drive, make sure it supports NVME, which is faster than SATA. NVME drives cost more, though. There’s a lot of other factors to consider, just do your research and make sure the drive has some RAM to serve as a buffer.

Works great! I’d HIGHLY recommend everybody running WoW off a HDD and too scared to pop open the PC, get an external SSD and run WoW from it. They’re getting waaaaay cheaper then they’ve used to be.

It should be fine but I would highly recommend upgrading that (Especially if that SSD is small to begin with.) I got one M.2 SSD (A Samsung Evo 970?) solely for main software and OS. Another M.2 SSD (1tb sabrent) for games that take too long to load. And lastly a HDD (Dinky Western Digital from 2013) for anything that doesn’t fall under the first two storage’s criteria.

WoW is not a hard game on PC,s runs fine on older machines. On the other hand WoW loves a good internet feed. The faster internet the better

Okay so this is the one I was looking at, a bit more expensive, but I think it’s good.

Samsung 2.5" 860 EVO 1TB SSD SATA 6Gb/s SSD Internal Solid State Drive PN MZ-76E1T0BW

Would this work? Sorry I’m more of a software person, not hardware and don’t really have anyone irl to ask. I’m pretty sure I can’t go the other type, so has to be SATA.

Also thank you very much for taking the time to help me.

My only concern with this is sometimes you need to download a large update. You’ll see people be like, “WHY IS THIS 20GB?!”

It starts as 20GB and then replaces files, making it only like 3-4GB, but you need the extra space for the initial download. So, eventually, I think you’ll outgrow it, but fine for now.

That one would work very well, Samsung’s a good SSD manufacturer. I have an earlier generation of that drive in my previous computer (my mom’s using it now), it’s well over 5 years old and still going strong. I think you’ll be well satisfied.

1 Like

That is a very good one. It has basically been rated as one of the best internal SATA SSD’s.

Just as a side note you will need to check your PC and make sure you have a free connection from our power source that will go to the Samsung SSD. Also, they do not normally send a SATA cable with the SSD so you will need to get one of those as well.

1 Like