SSD just for WoW

I’ve got a laptop with 2 SSD’s, one with 222gb (windows is installed in this one) and other with 111gb. I was wondering if it’s a good idea to use de 111gb one just to install shadowlands and the other for the rest of my stuff. Would it work?

Right now my WoW folder is 75.5 GB (Beta and PTR is installed too). I doubt you would have issues, but really no room for anything else.

1 Like

It should work… myself and my boyfriend have an external SSD specifically for WoW. There has been no issues and the performance has been great.

1 Like

I have an SSD and an HDD in my computer. The SSD is 500 gigs, and the HDD is 1 TB. I play WoW on the SSD, and put all of my other games on the HDD.

The thing worth remembering is that SSD’s are all flash memory. If you put WoW on something and it brings it near the max capacity, the SSD will come to a crawl. Just make sure WoW doesn’t take all 111gb’s.

3 Likes

I bouget ha 480GB external SSD for 15 bucks at walmart wow runs just from that

1 Like

nice! i was afraid that by installing wow on a different drive from windows the game wouldn’t work properly. thanks!

1 Like

Buying a bigger ssd. The things are dirt cheap.

i see. i’m planning to install only shadowlands on it, nothing else. guess i’ll just have to always check updates leftovers so i won’t have a lot of junk on it

How are you connecting? Plain ole usb?

1 Like

Mind if I ask a question about ssd’s on your post? Seems a bit silly to make other, but don’t wanna mess with yours if you don’t like it op.

nice! things here in brazil are expensive af, so I had to buy a 120gb one

i will say that an SSD requirement for wow is a bit over the top but meh all games will require one eventually

1 Like

mine is a USB 3.1

my laptop’s got internal space for both, the 111gb one is and NVMe

To be fair, it was changed to be “recommended”, however having played the beta, I can see why. Those Venthyr mirrors are instantaneous transports, for example. On an HDD, it might lead to long loading screens.

not in brazil! they’re really expensive here

I just went though this whole thing. Bought a new 1 TB Samsung SSD to put WoW and other games on. One of the best things I have done in awhile. Even Legion Dalaran loads up super fast.

All you have to do is go into your options on the launcher and tell it where WoW is now located. If you need help with that there area few videos on YouTube.

Thanks - I might go that route

feel free to! my question has been answered already

1 Like

I tried external drive and for me it was slow. I watched a video for my laptops to see how to swap out the drives. I replaced my system drive on one laptop and the 2.5 drive on my other laptop both to 2T SSDs.

SsDs really need 20% free space to run well and have a longer life.

Your 111 should be fine if only wow is on it, but SSDs are cheap these days if you can swap one out easily.