SPY is against TOS. Why are people not getting banned?

I mean, this entire conversation is based off hypotheticals, because we sure as hell know that blizzard isn’t going to shut down the combat log

1 Like

we know nothing of what they will do.

2 Likes

There were add ons in vanilla that alerted based on the combat log as well as add ons that facilitated targeting. Whether there was one specifically called spy is largely irrelevant.

1 Like

blizz doesn’t take broad ranging strokes to shutting down api, they use scalpels

besides, speaking of money (which is what blizz loves) keeping spy around isn’t really costing them much, breaking damage meters definitely wood

lets let them answer in a blue post. You are not blizzard.

2 Likes

there was a alpha phase addon, i hear it was not made very well
but it did not go anyplace

A lot of people just ran parsers on the combat log.
If you had a linux bot, you could write one in perl real easy
then have the perl script access the combat log.

Some guilds used to live broadcast to their guilds IRC channel
the in-progress raid log

you’ll never see a blue post on this lol, it doesn’t have even 1/5th the traction of LFG and that took HUNDREDS of thousands of posts and they still didn’t actually break it

thats what they said about LFG. Listen, unless we get some kind of conformation from bliz on this either way, its not over, and there will be people for and against it. Why do you think you have some oracle of vision that we don’t?

2 Likes

hey, if they can kill it without breaking the combat log for pve i’m fine with it, but they said they would limit the LFG addon, they haven’t

1 Like

Blizzard explicitly acknowledged LFG before classic even launched as something they were looking for. And it turns out it was using some functionality that they could break and wasn’t really in the vanilla API.

Nothing spy does meets that criteria.

they did, they broke the networking to post in the general channels. The networking.

2 Likes

Networking…

2 Likes

Which is only a small part of what people are whining about here.

it still posts in general chat and reads from general chat, all it really did beforehand anyway

right, in addition to networking there is much more to be upset about.

1 Like

Correct all of which was functionality available in vanilla.

not all the functionality was, but even so, it was in the last month or so, and only 400 downloads, mostly by bliz testers. So you really cant stick with that argument.

2 Likes

Well no, the functionality to read the combat log and announce it was always there in add ons. As was the ability to assist with targetting.

That there wasn’t a specific add on called spy doing it is irrelevant.

ahh, I see, Padrepawn is on his alts.

Because it doesn’t do that.

What it does is read an event from the Combat Lot (enemy player action), and creates a button you can click to target them.

Nothing is automated.

You still have to click.

The functionality to do literally EVERYTHING this mod does is availble without a mod. It takes about 2 minutes to set up.

2 Likes