SPY ADDON Removal Entirely

i do, but others find it inconvenient. this is just modifying the ui to make information you already have easier to process.

I love the SPY addon. Anyone that says this is cheating is just whining about the improved awareness that SPY offers. It’s no different than the GTFO addon that improves your awareness if you’re standing somewhere dangerous. As a matter of fact most addons are just awareness enhancers, so keep SPY. It will make stealth users actually work instead of being so lazy and cowardly.

2 Likes

Ok, you say your not cheating, maybe just not able to keep up without it. I know a bunch of slow people, they are good people.

It’s just a tool, friend. Maybe using a hammer to pound a nail into a board is cheating, but it’s easier than hitting the nail with the board.

Someone adapted an addon to deal with checking the combat logs more efficiently. Then they went a step further and made the interface user friendly. None of this is cheating. If you want to do something about it, adapt and overcome. If you are even half talented, I’m sure you will succeed.

1 Like

Whatever helps ya sleep at night I guess. I consider it cheating, but to each their own. If you need it you need it. I just want it gone, and will advocate for its removal.

Good luck.

why? it’s all info you already have, why not advocate for stealth being removed from logging? it makes no sense.

1 Like

lol. whatever.

no seriously, why not ask for the removal of stealth from logging, this breaks nothing but spy, whereas what your asking for breaks a lot of other things needlessly.

Blizzard has called the same sort of thing cheating before. And broken addons over it.

[Citation Needed]

Ditto.

What you fail to understand is that they have just recently looked into this addon. They determined that SPY is not a cheat, however its range of 200 meters was excessive. They lowered SPYs range to 50 meters, put their stamp of approval on it, and even put out a post themselves.

I’m sorry you can’t get everything you want, but the compromise was made and that’s as far as it’s going to go.

Game. Set. Match.

I’m all for smashing addons, the game worked fine before addons and it can work fine now too, both classic and retail. Oh no, you won’t be able to be an elitist by pointing to the damage meters, too bad. Oh no you might have to work as a group to build more damage to defeat a boss, boo hoo. Oh no, you might have to pay attention to animations and sound to get mechanics, /cry.

1 Like

addons were part of the game day one. people started making them in beta.

They broke the one that drew safe areas on the ground for Ice Crown back in Wrath (Holodeck?). They broke the original HealBot. They broke the classic LFG addon.

When did they do this? I use it all the time.

1 Like

This was a specific API function that was protected, that was part of the API calls that allowed you to draw and customize your UI elements. It was quickly broken because next to no addons actually used that particular function. Blizzard never called it cheating and no one was punished or banned for it.

You mean in early Vanilla when play could still be automated? Again none of these were considered cheating and no one was actually punished for it. HealBot and Decursive and others persisted after the fact, continuing to highlight incoming damage, who needs cleanses, etc.

This still works and I have it right now. What are you talking about? They broke the auto-group function while still allowing me to see who is wanting to do what and just selecting them and going. Also, was never considered cheating and no one was punished.