(Spoilers) Shadows Rising Canonizes Pairing!

This is so hilariously over aggressive.

7 Likes

And then he can give her fashion advise too and dish on all the scandals in Stormwind.

1 Like

Yā€™all think Flynn is Gay or Bi? Because he did have that situation with the Siren. But that was magic so it might not mean anything.

Making him Bi would be controversial.

heā€™s def bi or pan. he strongly implied he used to be involved with that captain lady right before running into the sirens. Shaw is the one we can gossip about

2 Likes

Shaw reads as demi to meā€¦ so he could go either way. Personally I think everybody in WoW is pan. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Or theyā€™re just gonna retcon it like Iceman on X-Men.

Retcons are a dime a dozen for Marvel. And in Icemanā€™s case it was more soft retcon then anything else.

Blizzard is not shy about retconning.

At this point I would say retcon are not bad in and of themselves as long as the story still ends up interesting/doesnt stretch the rules of fiction too far. In this particular case, there is nothing stating Flynn or Shaw cant be gay/bi.

Flynn seems to be the Lando of Warcraft thus far so I figure heā€™s bi. That said, we only have the implied feelings for Taelia, really, as the sirens seem to be able to lure people regardless of what their orientation is, unless every single female NPC lured by them is bi or lesbian. It seems more likely that their song can create a sort of generalized adoration, which can be overcome withā€¦ well, desire to murder them.

Maybe Flynnā€™s relative competence will rub off on Shaw somewhat, we can only hope.

2 Likes

Retcons are inherently bad as they shatter the integrity of the narrative.

Retcons are neither good or bad and can lead to awesome new lore. The draenei are proof of what a good retcon can do for the story.

8 Likes

Well this is cool I do think it is kinda out of left field.

There were never any hints to any romance between the two in game and the BFA quests in Tiragarde Sound made it pretty clear Flynn had feelings for Taelia

I feel like they did this just to ā€œfree upā€ Taelia so they could stick her with Anduin

Dont get me wrong, I got nothing against the pairing! Just feels weird since Flynn was already established to have feeling for another person.

And while yes Flynn and Shaw are friendly to eachother in game. The community has a weird habit of claiming characters who are nice to eachother automatically have to be a couple.

Im more sad that this probably cements Taelia as Anduins new trophy waifu. And a Flynn x Taelia romance would have been a lot more interesting and cute. (Charming scoundrel of a rogue with an upstanding soldier of noble blood)

7 Likes

Matthias being gay works fine because we have no background to go from but Flynn on the other hand was into Taelia and other women.
Personally for me this feels forced. They could have had any other character instead of Flynn to be Matthias boyfriend.

5 Likes

popular pairing

really?

Honestly, the main thing that gripes me isnā€™t Flynn. I was always more partial to Flynn-Taelia, but I can totally buy him being bi (he did have a fling with one of the captains in Bridgeport and talked about the woman with ā€œravenā€™s down hairā€ he liked).

Shaw is the one I have a hard time seeing being in any relationship whatsoever. Really, any pairing, no matter the orientation. He always seemed more like the consummate professional, like heā€™s married to his job.

But the book isnā€™t out yet, so who knows.

2 Likes

Iā€™m surprised since I thought Flynn was into Taelia, and Iā€™ve never come across the apparent legion of Flynn/Shaw shippers, but I like this. My main fear of having an explicit LGBT+ storyline was that the manchildren at Blizz would make it an insulting, cringey farce. But seeing as itā€™s done by a professional writer I feel better.

The only downside is poor Taelia is now doomed to being Anduinā€™s love interest. I wouldnā€™t wish that fate on anyone.

8 Likes

They had like 1 interaction and it was Shaw barely tolerating Flynn.

But yes, LGBT representation and all that jazz wooo.

1 Like

Twitter and Tumblr mostly. Donā€™t see tooooo much shipping around reddit or these forums I think.

1 Like