[Spoilers] Shadowlands Alpha Thread

Just more proof that the modern writers don’t give a flying :poop: about lore anymore. If it’s cool write about it. If a player suddenly has to ask questions about a race they’re playing that’s bad we need to get rid of that.

Just flanderize every race down to their most stereotypical traits. “Muh honor. Muh freedumbs”.

I’m all for shadowlands itself as an expansion. The story there could be great but I have absolutely no faith in Danuser and Golden to write a good overall story for the expansion.

4 Likes

with the scourge coming back, the forsaken committing themselves to protecting their friends from their former masters/monsters is a pretty logical narrative step

weird hill to die on but okay

I’m just waiting for the inevitable, direct refute / denial of something from Blizzard. The weird whitewashing revision is a solid contender, but there’s still time for covenant abilities or class unpruning to swoop in and take the gold.

Listen I’m not letting Legion BrM “you’re just playing it wrong” go.

Weird hill to die on? Questioning the direction an entire narrative is going is a weird hill to die on? Okay buddy. You seemed to miss the part that they are doing this with every race. Not just the Forsaken.

1 Like

Horde Race*

Don’t think I’ve seen any for Alliance ones.

Ah Danuser. Mister “We’re proud of the story we told in BFA.”

Sidenote, Apparently they’re avoiding talking about Azerite in the campaigns as well. Think Redshirt mentions that you no longer get the Heart of Azeroth either.

Definitely an instance of where it could just be Alpha being Alpha, but this whole thing is just weird atm.

the forsaken have always fought to protect their allies in the horde, who are living. pointing out they fight for the living now is inconsequential.

I think people are mixing up their utter deserved hatred of sylvie’s plot with…everyone else.

Mentioned it before…but the current Forsaken intro has a Forsaken offer a Pandaren a plagued beer that was supposed to disintegrate her. It’s a funny scene, but it’s also a, dude wtf moment.

I honestly don’t know if they need to get rid of Golden or Danuser. They should just like…swap their roles.

Golden is the only person in that entire team who’s an actual writer, but she has basically no control over plot developments, while Danuser has lots of…ideas, I guess, with no real clue on how to implement them well.

(Or how to have good ideas in the first place.)

We don’t know what the WoW story looks like when Golden has creative freedom, but I bet it would be at least, like, logical, and might even care about whether people are having fun or not.

4 Likes

I really don’t get the hate toward Golden. After reading a few of her WoW books, I think she has a pretty good grasp of the generally races. Like I love Draka and she doesn’t even appear in WOW (AU need not apply). I’m excited to see her in the Necrolord area, and others just hate it. I won’t disagree that it’s random, and Orgrim probably would have been a lot more hype generation than her, but she is still a dopeass character.

Did BTS just make folks nullify all her previous writings?

Idk, maybe it’s because she likes Anduin and folks focus on that.

Criticism toward her is fine, but that woman is getting straight up venom.

1 Like

Haha omg I forgot about that. man those pandas got iron stomachs

Right?! Kind of makes you wonder if the Pandaren were the core motivation factor of the Forsaken beefing up their plague :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Oh hey look at the time. I better get back to the Wandering Isle.

2 Likes

Take Nomi with you.

1 Like

Nope, he’s your problem now.

1 Like

it’s because she was supposed to be a lot of people’s personal savior. a good writer that was supposed to bring WoW writing up to like…whats that movie with the sled named rosebud again? whatever it doesn’t matter.

anyways, everyone whining and moaning about her ruining things were 1000% praising her previous work when she was brought in and expected her to somehow, after just being hired, to steer the entire WoW narrative into a good direction.

now she’s not, because she has to write what shes given. and people are incapable of blaming the higher ups of anything and are laying the blame, and vindictive harassment, at goldens feet

1 Like

This is why Pandaren are legitimately the most evil of races in WoW.

Citizen Kane?

2 Likes

Werent the Forsaken in the Horde as far back as Vanilla described as an “alliance of convenience”?

They’ve never been the “I’m going to spend my days protecting our allies” part of the Horde and suddenly doing a 180 and having them be no different than the “muh honor” Horde is a disservice to what made people like them in the first place.

Then again they seem to be pulling a Garrosh and blaming Sylvanas for literally everything. Cant have the Horde actually held accountable for their actions now can we?

BfA is being swept under a rug in the dumbest way possible.

1 Like

TFW you realize BFA might be getting the Vindicaar treatment :joy:

I don’t even know how to respond to this. Golden is a terrible writer and I’ve never praised any of her work. I was never in favor of bringing in an external writer to write BOOKS for a video game that ends up being supplemental material for content that should have been in the game to begin with.

Halo 4 & 5 had the same issue where 343 industries was too lazy to write decent stories so they contracted like 5 writers(Bear being a notable one) to write 20 books and comics and it got to the point where the story in 5 didn’t make any god damn sense unless you read the supplemental material. No game’s story should work like this. WoW started to become this in MoP where they started lumping in so much information in external material it became ridiculous. But now it’s accepted as normal. Stop pretending like everyone who has or hasn’t is one group. Or that the people who harass them on the twatterz(which I don’t even use) is part of them.

Who you can blame, clearly is either Activision or J. Allen Brack, or any other higher up. I could blame Metzen but he seemed smart enough to jump ship before it got any worse. I doubt he has any say in what Thrall’s character can become now.

The only thing WoW needed was an RPG guide and the Chronicle but obviously Blizzard has no interest in keeping their characters consistent and their world following a stream of logic that most people would accept.

1 Like

“Are you going to address the fact that it was the entire Horde that participated in the destruction of Teldrassil?”

“No”

“Will there be an explanation as to why?”

“No”

4 Likes