*Spoilers* Sabellian, Wrathion, and Alexstraza

it would be lame if Sabellian had some sort of miracle coureness…i doubt it, i guess anenzo is right, he show no signs of corruption because the old gods are out of reach right now.

whathion is next to other aspects in a DF load screen, may that be a hint of him being the next black dragon aspect? :thinking:

Poor Sab. Dude does nothing for fifteen years and is thrown into a popularity contest with a hotter, younger, more marketable counterpart they’ve been steadily building up for the past decade. And of course it’s that guy’s face they put on the loading screen. Tragic. The 70/30 split between Kayn and Altruis pickers will look balanced after this.

11 Likes

I’m picking Sab out of pure unregulated spite.

13 Likes

Same because I am not a big fan of Wrathion. Sabellian better be the leader at the Black Dragon flight by the end of this next expansion. We can’t have another expansion where the older more experienced candidate

3 Likes

he won’t be. He’s only being added to give the ghost of the idea that it’s remotely possible for Wrathion to fail. But it’s exactly that: A ghost of an idea. it is literally impossible for Wrathion to fail. He is Alliance. He is Anduin’s friend. Blizard loves him for these things.

10 Likes

Krexus was on the Shadowlands loading screen and died in the Maldraxxus questing experience. I’m not taking Wrathion being on the loading as confirmation of him being the new black dragon aspect but more of a matter of Blizzard wanting to use faces that people will recognize.

2 Likes

No one has ever accused Blizzard of not being biased with characters.

I guess I always pick the underdog.

more spoilers
sabellian and his kids?

wrathion and sabellian

samia

1 Like

I actually prefer Sabellian over wraithon simply for how much wraithon endangered azeroth.

12 Likes

I really hope we don’t end up with another “council” like they did to Ironforge when the dwarves couldn’t agree on a proper heir.

3 Likes

iirc the council is more or less in place until Moira’s son is old enough to lead. As he would be the heir to the Bronzebeards (via Moira) and the Dark Irons (via Dagran I).

The council was a compromise as Moira tried to seize her throne by force upon Magni turning into a diamond statue. And Moira did willingly marry the leader of the Dark Irons, branding her a traitor to some. Hell, Moira and her Dark Iron followers were accused of being the ones behind the Dark Iron attack on the Ironforge Airfield. Until it was revealed that one of her advisors was a spy for the Twilights Hammer and was the true mastermind behind the attack. It wasn’t until the Blood in the Snow Scenario that the Alliance allied Dark Irons were no longer viewed with suspicion.

2 Likes

i prefer wrathion, he has been developed in game meanwhile sabellian lore was “developed” all of a sudden offcreen.

3 Likes

Unfortunate, then, that they seem to be implicitly leveraging the idea that the endangering he did turned out to be “necessary” since everything worked out in spite of it, and instigating an Iron Horde invasion of Azeroth that opened the way for a demonic invasion is somehow a point in favor of Wrathion because we cleaned up the mess he made and defeated the Burning Legion (and without his help, no less.)

Personally I favor Sabellian because Wrathion’s attitude lacks a sense of real sympathetic attachment to his own Dragonflight. He so far comes across as wanting to restore and lead the Flight for cynically pragmatic reasons in defense of Azeroth rather than actually caring for them as “his people” and wanting what’s best for them for their own sake. Back in TBC Sabellian seemed pretty legitimately upset and earnest in his desire to avenge the black dragons who’d been killed by the gronn (as opposed to just wanting the gronn gone as a local competing power and threat), while for all his charm, Wrathion has always been more of an “ends justify the means” sort who doesn’t really come across as a particularly sentimental person. Seems to me an Aspect should have a deeper investment in the welfare of their Dragonflight than just ensuring that it can fulfill its designed purpose. Sabellian acts like a black dragon who thinks like a black dragon; Wrathion acts more like an agent of the titans who just happens to also be a black dragon.

20 Likes

While that is amusing, Wrathion is obviously becoming the leader in the end. He has the unique model, and is the principle character on all the key art. And, lets be honest here, in a meta sense, he’s always existed to bring the black dragonflight back as a more heroic force. That’s why they created him all the way back in Cataclysm.

Sabellian is here to provide an obstacle to Wrathion, and hopefully humble him a bit, but ultimately, it will be Wrathion, just wait.

9 Likes

:dracthyr_no1: :dracthyr_no2:
Wrathion absolutely has more content, but Sabellian was developed in TBC. We know who the character is and what he’s about as Raselle mentions here:

Also, he’s actually Neltharion’s son, unlike Wrathion who is not.

7 Likes

I sort of expect Sabellian to loose and then they take a Arygos route with him and having him side with the primalists to claim the throne by force. Bonus points if this treachery results in Morozond coming into being.

1 Like

Idk why people say Sabellian comes out of nowhere, yeah, he’s been on Outland for nearly two decades irl, but him being keen to stay on outland as a means to avoid Deathwing and the Old Gods makes sense. I’ve heard that they said the old God whispers would still reach outland in an interview somewhere at some point, but honestly, that’s dumb, and I don’t really hold interview answers as canon unless it makes it into an actual piece of fiction or contradicts nothing, so I’m fine with them going against that here.

Also, I wonder if Serinar will pop up. He’s another ‘forgotten’ black dragon.

7 Likes

Assuming he wasn’t killed off screen by either Wrathions agents or the Red Dragonflight during Cata. As they both basically decreed corrupted Black Dragon open season during that expansion.

He hasn’t appeared since Wrath and it’s not like Blizzard “forgot” about him since his ally, Nalice, was killed in the rogue legendary dagger chain.