*Spoilers* Sabellian, Wrathion, and Alexstraza

Sabellian’s hands down a better leader that has far less blood on his hands, and Wrathion is an immature brat that’s indirectly responsible for the Burning Legion invasion and the war against the Iron Horde. He spent all that time preparing us to fight the Legion, and didn’t actually fight it himself.

“We MUST prepare for the Legion! Champion, slaughter the opposing faction so that yours can conquer them and bring them into your own, so that the Legion will be unable to overcome the singular strong faction that remains! By the way, i’m going to help Kairozdormu free Garrosh so that he can form an infinite number of Iron Hordes to take on the Legion, after they conquer your world, of course.”

“ALSO! I’m not actually going to do anything to fight the Burning Legion, i’m just going to explore Azeroth while they invade. Have fun.”

8 Likes

Yeah, Tauren in WoW are literally an inferior race. I speak only from the facts. They’re the weakest & most pathetic race in Azeroth – Including in comparison to Quillbore, Murlocs, Kobolds and Troggs.

So Ebyssian having a Tauren visage made me know for a fact he’s not gonna become the aspect.

Plus yeah, Sabellian & Ebyssian not having their own unique Dragon forms felt … insulting. Especially given their age, given the fact that Wrathion is like 7 and Sabellian + Ebyssian are like around 10 thousand years old …

2 Likes

Wrathion should be executed for the crap he pulled. I don’t understand how he got amnesty.

I mean a lot of other characters have got amnesty before for questionable acts that were outright intentional, as opposed to Wrathion who only sought to use Garrosh as a tool but got played because he’s arrogant & naïve.

Probably another reason why it should be Sab, however like we’ve said – It’s plainly obvious they’re making it Wrathion. If they flip the script and do something else, I’d be incredibly surprised but also impressed with both the boldness and the clever usage of misdirection for the writing progression.

1 Like

The Grom of Outland sure as hell accounted for a whole valley of black dragon corpses and the Flight hadn’t been seen around Azeroth for quite while, so while premature, the reports were kind of justified.

TBH I’m honestly curious why people really want the guy who shook off doing his proper ‘duty’ while also rebuilding his flight for years and now is only suddenly showing up over Wrathy who while yes is an absolute idiot at times at least has been taking an active role in preventing the world from being destroyed and also trying to rebuild his flight without any corruption potentially seeping into it.

Like Sab suddenly becoming the Aspect over someone that has been built up for it for close to 10 years now? It’d be bad writing tbh akin to a ‘Plot-Twist’ that would likely not go well especially given how WoW stories tend to handle those. Personal feelings on the character aside I’d just prefer Blizzard stuck to their guns with this tbh. It’s also a giant case of No-win syndrome because no matter who you end up ‘supporting’ one of them has to get the short-end of the stick which is just gonna make you feel like you wasted your time if you supported one over the other.

2 Likes

Difference is Sabellian not only tried but managed to do exactly this though. The guy single-handedly saved his kind from extinction

Wrathion did some world-saving stuff (as much as potentially world-ending stuff) but Sabellian’s clearly the one who’s been the most dedicated to the state of his flight, and the question here is who will lead the Black Dragonflight, not who’s the best at being a Champion of Azeroth, so…

3 Likes

Plot twist…through titan magic/as of yet discovered macguffin, Emberthal becomes an actual dragon and she becomes the next Aspect :smiling_imp:

Not suggesting this is actually going to happen, but I’d rather something that far out of left field happen than Wrathion (whom I can’t stand) being shoved down the narrative’s (and ours by extension) throat. >_>

It can be more interesting if make Sabellian become the aspect and Wrathion turn into villain, from narrative design, but I believe Blizz is simple-minded storyteller, so it won’t happen.
Wrathion is clearly their favorite, that’s why the story will be dumb.

I’m convinced that the reason they didn’t give Ebyssion or Sabellion a model upgrade is because blizz is waiting to make one of them an Aspect and during that is when they will get their model upgrades

(Assuming the new models are buried in the files and heavily encrypted that is)

3 Likes

This would be actually a very nice surprise if I’m being honest. Even if they don’t get to be aspect of Earth and become the bridge between Primalist and “The Deep Places” (The Void part of the Earth from what I can guess) it be nice if they get their own unique models…

But only if we get a Dracthyr Visage Model for Chromatus our Proto-Elder Brother or Father?.. its only fair, we Dracthyr get our own Chromatic Aspect! (I’m joking, but it be nice too, I love all these different unique or Lesser Dragonflights and their lore left forgotten BC, Cata, MoP, Legion, ect.)

1 Like

I like how the dragons are like ‘Sabellian saved us from madness while others killed our kin’ as support of him. While ignoring none of them were cured, those insane are still insane to my knowledge. They just avoided the entire situation by luckily being on another planet.

6 Likes

I feel like the Sabellian/Wrathion divide relies on lore/facts that we players don’t know for certain. And I like that - it gives more wiggle room for each side to like their choice without one being clearly wrong.

For example:
Sabellian saved his kin from corruption rather than putting them down… But did he really cure them, or just keep them away from the Old Gods so they never were truly corrupted in the first place?
If it’s the former, then Sabellian is even more of the father of the flight - but why didn’t he use that ability to help any other black dragons?
If it’s the latter (or if we players and/or Wrathion assumes it’s the latter), then Wrathion can argue that the only reason Sabellian and the others could return is because of Wrathion’s work in removing the corrupted dragons and the Old Gods.
But even then, it’s Sabellian who sheltered and raised the next generation, so he is the reason there are any black dragons remaining to take advantage of the new Old-God-less Azeroth and help the other flights. (For all that population numbers matter in WoW, of course.)

Ultimately, I like this setup: Sabellian is the reason there is a remaining black flight at all, while Wrathion is the reason that the black flight can reestablish itself on Azeroth and participate in Azeroth’s affairs (even if his schemes can fail spectacularly).

I think their story is heading towards a point where they realize that neither of them would be able to succeed without the work of the other. I’m still undecided on who I’d want to see become Aspect, though.

10 Likes

The way I interpreted the new story is that Sabellian saved his dragonflight by moving them off world and at least mitigated the old gods’ corruption on his children/siblings on Draenor that was destroyed to become Outland.

He very much is the father of his flight these dragons wouldn’t exist without their Sabellian. Even back in BC he defended his children against the gronn and became friends with Rexxar showing that he wasn’t evil just a father furious at the deaths of his children at the hands of Gruul and his seven sons.

Later he sent black dragons to scout the Azerite popping up on the island expeditions and why we gave the black dragon scale to Wrathion’s agents. These new dragons didn’t appear corrupt and wanted to defend the planet.

Then BFA ends with Wrathion striking at N’zoth allowing the rest of Sabellian’s flight to return and upon feeling the call of the Dragon Isles they are now present on Azeroth ready to take on the mantle.

Wrathion’s actions were deeply harmful and in Cata he chose to kill instead of heal his broken relatives. Even the one who helped him and told him, “I am in control of my mind.” Challenging the black dragon and the old gods who whispered him causing him to retaliate and attack. The rogue and Wrathion would put him down.

Wrathion later would save Ebyssian, but he could have chosen to do the same with his kin. He only considered it during BFA after Legion. Sabellian can rightfully claim his father’s mantle as the earthwarder. Wrathion can claim to have allowed the black dragons to return via his actions against the old gods. Idk, I think Sabellian should be aspect he is their father and leader. Wrathion has done great deeds, but far worse ones.

5 Likes

I think the biggest divide Blizzard is trying to hit at, is that Wrathion is the best option if you consider the Aspect’s job is to guard Azeroth - and Sabellion if you think it’s to foster the flight. Which I like, gives nuance to the space.

Personally, I’m choosing Wrathion on this because I do think that due to their job being to safeguard Azeroth, Wrathion is just better here. He’s obviously messed up before, with Garrosh, but he’s also succeeded in ending N’zoth, which also actually saved his flight as well. Sabellian has been hiding out in Outland, so Wrathion got my vote.

4 Likes

I want them to confirm Sabellian’s dragons were the ones we fought on the island expeditions in BFA. They were young black dragons claiming to protecting Azeroth. I feel like if they can 100% confirm these were Sabellian’s children it shows that in BFA that Sabellian was trying to fight and protect Azeroth’s life blood.

Even if they weren’t his direct children. The black dragons who attacked us were claiming to be protectors. Does anyone have any confirmation that Sabellian did not attempt to do his job as earthwarders between BC up to present? I feel like we’re assuming that, but I don’t know if that’s a certainty.

2 Likes

Sabellion all the way

What good is claiming or wanting to be the Aspect of the Black Dragonflight if you end up being the only black dragon, what good is a Dragon Aspect with no actual Dragon followers?

5 Likes

It’s time-honored liberal dogma of our society over the last 100+ years at this point… he who does not want to rule deserves it the most apparently.

Even though that’s never made any sense at all and has never been reality in practice. We do love our fantasies and idealizations.

Erevien???

2 Likes

Wrathion is going to be the leader and this guy’s dying to teach him a lesson about forward thinking or something.

Do you’ve any idea how hard it is to animate hair? They did not give Wrathion that dragon soul glow just to hand to make Captain PC hair the big boss.

That model was no small effort, they clearly took the time to make him look nice, so get used to him and don’t think how it’s a bit weird he’s actually younger than most people here.

1 Like